For those about to Freeze (Camping)

Clampet

:canadian: Boy are these guys and gals true Canadians out in the woods freezing their :asshat: off.I remember the first camping trip many years ago in a small tent with wife and son. Boy we were cold. Then I remembered on old boy scout trick. wrap a clean warm rock from the fire and toss it into the bag and in a few min. the bag will warm up. Then keep it in the tent till it cools and toss it out.It helped.Now the tent trailer with elect. heat and the elect. blanket.What a way to go. Steve

Everyone FREEZES their butts off at least ONCE on the May 24 weekend. The good thing is that the alcohol in your bloodstream acts like antifreeze in your system....

The first time this happens is when you are about 16 or 17 and you are camping for the first time without family and with your friends. Smart ones will get sites with electricity and buy heaters for future years. Not-so-smart ones like me go the next year and swear that next year you'll bring one. Then finally, once you hit your mid 20's, camping on that weekend doesn't happen anymore.....

Anyone else follow a pattern similar??? LOL.

GCD (or my favorite Redneck), I have to apologize for my fellow Canadians mis-spelling the May 24 weekend. It is actually spelled the May two-four and falls on the weekend that we celebrate our queen's birthday. It was actually started as a celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday.

Your history lesson for the day.

Your second is .....The only time the US and Canada were at war, 1812, .....we kicked ur butts. ;):whistling::stretcher:

Edited by hometownhandyman

Everyone FREEZES their butts off at least ONCE on the May 24 weekend. The good thing is that the alcohol in your bloodstream acts like antifreeze in your system....

The first time this happens is when you are about 16 or 17 and you are camping for the first time without family and with your friends. Smart ones will get sites with electricity and buy heaters for future years. Not-so-smart ones like me go the next year and swear that next year you'll bring one. Then finally, once you hit your mid 20's, camping on that weekend doesn't happen anymore.....

Anyone else follow a pattern similar??? LOL.

Followed that pattern to a T. You would also try and look at the good points. At least the bugs are not as bad, it's not snowing and most importantly at least the ice in the beer cooler is holding up well. :thumbsup_anim:

LOL in 2 weeks it should still be a little chilly in Algonquin....thats why we have 4 people in a 3 person tent! just a lil extra body warmth... we call it "sleeping like sardines" :sleeping_02:

Make sure you bring bug jackets and plenty of deet. Im predicting a bumber crop of blackflies this year.

Was looking at temperatures around Ontario this morning.

Saw 5 degrees celcius to 3 degrees up to Parry sound, then less than that northward.

It was 1 degree from Algonquin northward including 0's around Sudbury, Timmins etc... with snow showers.

Brutal for camping and fishing especially with the wind.

ehg

Bah....

call me Crazy but I Kind of like it?

Camping in adverse conditions seperates the Men from the Boys IMO

Although Its worth mentioning My wife would say the men are smart ones and can admit its best to stay home. :P

Edited by Cookslav

Bah....

call me Crazy but I Kind of like it?

Camping in adverse conditions seperates the Men from the Boys IMO

So...what separates the smart guys from the dumb ones? LOL.

Back in my younger days, I didn't care how cold it got....always had a great time and a story or two to tell....but not on this family oriented site....hehe.

Well we did go camping all weekend and it was miserable,but thanks to good freinds and lots of laughs it was bearable,and the fishing sucked too !!!! oh well it was still worth it anyway,it beats sitting at home thats for sure,and we did manage to have a few fillets of walleye to eat,so that was great,but hey you know its gonna rain on the may24,it always happens.....cheers

I just got back myself from our annual long weekend camping / fishing at Quinte and we had an excellent time despite some rain, cold temps and huge winds, you just need to be prepared for it and act accordingly.

Lotsa fleece clothes, a good Gore-Tex rainsuit, a waterproof tent & heater and good company and you can put up with anything the weather doods throw at ya. Hang a 20' x 30' tarp from the trees and keep a huge bonefire going steady and a bit of nasty weather means nothing :thumbsup_anim:

As always, the pickeral & pike fishing was excellent at night around the Glenora ferry and everybody in our group had a fabulous weekend. The biggest pickeral was around 10 pounds and came on a perch colored minnow bait trolled over the weeds about 10 o'clock Saturday night.

Getting ready for whatever they wanted to throw at us :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv0072.jpg

I just got back myself from our annual long weekend camping / fishing at Quinte and we had an excellent time despite some rain, cold temps and huge winds, you just need to be prepared for it and act accordingly.

Lotsa fleece clothes, a good Gore-Tex rainsuit, a waterproof tent & heater and good company and you can put up with anything the weather doods throw at ya. Hang a 20' x 30' tarp from the trees and keep a huge bonefire going steady and a bit of nasty weather means nothing :thumbsup_anim:

As always, the pickeral & pike fishing was excellent at night around the Glenora ferry and everybody in our group had a fabulous weekend. The biggest pickeral was around 10 pounds and came on a perch colored minnow bait trolled over the weeds about 10 o'clock Saturday night.

Getting ready for whatever they wanted to throw at us :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv0072.jpg

Preparation is key. Experience heps a mite, as is evidenced here.

Yup We froze this weekend alright. We have a popup trailer and stayed from friday to last night. It was cold and being next to the lake didnt help as the winds and rain were horrible. But you got to do what you got to do, thats camping and fishing. :thumbsup_anim:

We do have a furnance in the trailer and yes we did use it.

The pic was not from this weekend but thats our trailer.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Just got back from Durham Conservation Campground around 4pm. Friday evening it rained a little but cleared up low of 9 at night. Saturday morning was cool and damp, went up to 12 during the day. Afternoon was nice. Got a little fishin in on the river just below the swimming dam. Saturday night was nice around the fire with a 24. Then it got cold. Went down to 5 degrees and then the heavens opened up around 3am on Sunday and lasted all day till around 3pm. But it did go up to 8 degrees in the afternoon. No fishing. Sunday night went down to 1 degree and got a lot of freezing rain between 4 am and 8am. warmed up a little, drizzle till noon then cleared up. Ate lunch, packed up and headed back down the highway. Wife complained about cold a bit. Son was ok as was I. Had his playpen in the tent too. Did not have a tent heater but I do put a 75 below sleeping bag underneath the double thick queen air matress. And the wife had about 3 comforters and 2 knitted wool blankets on top. Was cold and wet...but then so was the beer. Fire and food were hot and with a tarp over the table we ate out of the rain. Can't wait till next May 24.