I don't rant often but BPS really

ecmilley

I'm still ticked about the last fishing flyer with the Citica/BPS combo right on the front cover.

Go in expecting to pick one up, guess what.. Out of stock. I ask for a raincheck, and I'm told that it won't do be any good.

If you are going to promote something on the FRONT PAGE OF YOUR FLYER, you should actually have them in stock.

/end rant

Don't forget that BPS will price match. No sense in running all over the country burning gas.

Sorry, I know I'm biased, but ask motv8tr or a few others about BPS' contribution to Fishing for Tyler and other events. BPS puts significantly more back to the industry than any other store! A lot of what they do goes under the radar, because in many cases they're not looking for the publicity out of it.

Why price match when I should be awarding the seller with the lowest standard price? And at least for me, BPS is out of the way and much farther than good old LeBaron.

And good for BPS for contributing to charitable work. But why not lower their prices to match the lowest prices out there (not price match, but standard prices), give us fishermen that much more money, and let us donate these surpluses to worthy causes? I would guess the amount BPS makes based on their price premiums would tower over all their charitable contributions, so wouldn't charities and/or customers be better off that way?

Edited by fishinggeek

Don't forget that BPS will price match. No sense in running all over the country burning gas.

Considering what we learned about BPS policy in GCD's thread, I can't agree with that.

Only national advertisers will be considered. That knocked out more than 90% of the retailers on Aile Goby's list. If someone wanted to be sticky, I could see that definition being interpreted as "LeBarons and Canadian Tire only."

If you're lucky enough to be quoting one of the rare approved vendors, you've still got to worry about getting rejected by 1 of the 25 more restrictions, conditions, and loopholes. Chances of making it past all that are ridiculously low.

When I see Bass Pro demanding $60 over and above the ~$200 MSRP for an item, the cost of gas definitely comes to mind. For $60, Jeff & I can enjoy spending 2 days exploring Bass Pro's competitors. One of them is bound to be happy to sell me the same item at fair retail value.

Considering what we learned about BPS policy in GCD's thread, I can't agree with that.

Only national advertisers will be considered. That knocked out more than 90% of the retailers on Aile Goby's list. If someone wanted to be sticky, I could see that definition being interpreted as "LeBarons and Canadian Tire only."

If you're lucky enough to be quoting one of the rare approved vendors, you've still got to worry about getting rejected by 1 of the 25 more restrictions, conditions, and loopholes. Chances of making it past all that are ridiculously low.

When I see Bass Pro demanding $60 over and above the ~$200 MSRP for an item, the cost of gas definitely comes to mind. For $60, Jeff & I can enjoy spending 2 days exploring Bass Pro's competitors. One of them is bound to be happy to sell me the same item at fair retail value.

Hear hear! ;) I have nothing personal against or for a store. At the margin, I would prefer BPS to LeBaron because I enjoy the atmosphere more and convenience of being attached to the mall. But their prices are, on average, way out of line with what I can find elsewhere. That's why I only go for window shopping and take my business to the cheapest competitor, which is almost always not BPS. That's one of the reasons I love this board. It makes price shopping much easier because we all seem to be willing to share tips on how to save that extra buck. I try my best to do the same, and I know I've saved a bit of money from this board which I'm thankful for.

I've always had good shopping experiences at BPS, and I have shopped the Vaughn store while in Canada. I rarely go in looking for a particular item. I'm like a kid in a candy store there (their fudge is excellent bytheway!)

I was looking for a few particular items when I shopped the Vaughn store though, Pike/Musky stuff. They had a bigger selection of toothy critter baits there than in the Southern U.S.

You've gotta love the atmosphere in a BPS! Lotsa nice stuff to look at!!!

To clarify, I never said they had an approved vendor list. I pointed to Glen's copy & paste of the policy, which spells out conditions vendors must meet in order to be eligible for price matching (subject to whatever other loopholes).

1) vendor must advertise the quoted price nationally

2) stores advertising online must also operate a physical retail store location

3) vendor must not be a manufacturer

4) vendor must not sell products wholesale

To clarify, I never said they had an approved vendor list. I pointed to Glen's copy & paste of the policy, which spells out conditions vendors must meet in order to be eligible for price matching (subject to whatever other loopholes).

1) vendor must advertise the quoted price nationally

2) stores advertising online must also operate a physical retail store location

3) vendor must not be a manufacturer

4) vendor must not sell products wholesale

I don't think that is any different from any other big box store.

Does LeBarons match BPS pricing? Just curious?

LeBarons prices are now cheaper than BPS and sometimes Cabelas atleast for the items I've purchaced. My Trolling motor bracket was cheaper than Cabela's. and BPS didn't even stock it even tho it's the prefered mount. They stock a cheaper model for more money LOL!

I don't go into BPS expecting an explanation on how to use a piece of equipment or technique. I go knowing what I want and what the standard price is. (Well used to.. I'm done) My money goes to either JB Fishing Depot , LeBarons (which aren't to popular with me either because of service issues) or Cabelas.

When a sales rep walks away from a 1000+ sale because he's lazy and doesn't want to look up the price and half the stock the store advertises isn't in stock well you get my drift.

Let me add some people walk into a store expecting to be treated like royalty because they are spending money there. I"m not like that and am very friendly and down to earth. I wait my turn to ask for help and am very patient because I'm a service industry as well and understand dealing with customers can be trying sometimes LOL!

But the attitude I've recieved at BPS and Lebarons (not for a while now tho ) was brutal.

Edited by RangerGuy

Does LeBarons match BPS pricing? Just curious?

I hope LeBaron's doesn't match BPS pricing, or else they'll have to raise a lot of their prices! ;) The one item I can think of off-hand that I was surprised to see cheaper at BPS is the Northland rattling/jigging spoon. I think BPS was $3.99 and LeBaron was $4.39. Never asked about price matching at Le Baron because I just didn't buy it from anyone.

Maybe it's because you work there or maybe I'm quite unique in this way, but from my perspective there's so much of a price difference on many items that it's laughable. Like GCD said, great atmosphere and plenty to see, but why pay for that when I get that enjoyment for free by just window shopping, deciding what I want to buy, then just buying it somewhere else for less? It really is a no brainer because they're often the exact same item; a Rapala from BPS is the same as a Rapala from anywhere else.

Not sure about how pricing really stacks up on a lot of stuff, but did run up to Lebarons today picked up a catalyst pti with flipping in left retrieve was 123 pl tax and a $30 mail in rebate and the guy at the reel counter was more than willing to check for the left retrieve (i got the last one) while at it grabbed a 7 ft compre one piece rod for 105 and a new spool of power pro, the people i dealt with were freindly enough but most importantly they had everything in stock, just have to back next week for the colour graph

Edited by ecmilley

The vendor requirements aren't unusual. It's the shockingly long list of other excuses attached to them.

Glad to hear you finally got a reel (and some other toys), ecmilley. :)

And nobody in the store is apparently a walleye fisherman as nobody knoew what a slow death hook was or who gary parsons & kieth keviech were from the next bite ??????.....but hey ernie we have all been there too,but im suprised you were able to control yourself and not jump over the counter and open up a can of whoop- :asshat: on them !!!!!LOL..LOL.. but i think like i told you on the phone,i would have went straight to the store manager,and had a talk with him since guys like us drop more money in that store than what those too guys make in a year !!!!!! cheers bro

I just had the complete opposite at the BPS store in Auburn, NY. The manager at that store must have really done a good job screening applicants for salesmen. I have also experience VERY good service in the two Cabela's store I visited two years ago in MN and SD. However, we have a Gander's Mountain store here that the service is the pits not to mention their HIGH prices there. I like to call it Expensive Mountain :)

Bottom line each store is a reflection of the store management.

maybe the sales rep transferred from Lebaron. sounds like classic Lebaron service.

IMHO, generally speaking USA customer service is significantly better than Canada...BPS, department stores, Crappy service Tire (need I say more), etc.

Now Lowe's, I've only been there once but was very impressed w/ their customer service.

Edited by goteeboy

I was in at BPS a couple of weeks ago. I can't say enough about the great service I received. There is this guy by the name of Roger, you got questions, he's got answers! Anthony (I think that was his name), is an avid muskie angler. He and I had a great conversation, very knowledgeable. As for this Roger dude.....lets just say he looks pretty! ha ha ha :thumbsup_anim::whistling:

Nice chatting wit ya Roger. I hope that young lad did OK on those Crappie jigs I directed him to. His Dad was very interested as well, nice to be able to educate new and interested, willing to learn anglers of the future.

As for this Roger dude.....lets just say he looks pretty! ha ha ha

Yah, and you're a real looker too Ron!!!! :wub::lol::lol:

I hope that young lad did OK on those Crappie jigs I directed him to. His Dad was very interested as well, nice to be able to educate new and interested, willing to learn anglers of the future

Hey, I learned a lot too Ron, but then again all the staff members are stupid :w00t::w00t:

One of the most rewarding things about the store is getting the young ones pumped up about fishing.

The guy you were talking to was Andrew and you're right very knowledable and friendly.

I get mixed ractions at BPS (and most places really) but then again I'm usualy dressed in a way that makes me look like I cant afford a proper shirt.

I find the reel guys at BPS are not very knowlegeable , I;ve only spoke with a few that were actualy helpful. I walked in one day ready put dw $500 on a reel and walked out becuase they wouldnt acknowlege me - and when they finaly did, they told me that the reel I wanted didnt come in lefty. I opened the Shimano book on the counter and pointed to the reel I wanted and read the text aloud stating that it was left handed and he simply said the dnt carry them. Not an offer to order one for me or anything. He just walked away.

I'll ust wait for Roger next time!

I'll be at BPS in Atlanta Georgia tomorw, hopefulyl I can get some good servce, I want a new reel!

Edited by mepps

Isnt Gagnon's one of the most expensive stores though? I've only been in there once or twice but I thought the prices were threw the roof.

Actually..Gagnon's is one of the best priced places going.

Dont get me wrong...I love my time at BPS and my old regular..'Tightlines' in Pickering but Gagnon's.....

Jason..the young guy...he's the heir apparent and he'll deff. give you the deal of the day.

Brian in electronics there really knows all the stuff and if you can find a better price anywhwre they will undercut it..by pennies..just the same..it'll cost less for your repeat bizz.

That is what its all about tho.....repeat bizzzzz...for the small market or none BPS anyway.

This year I put in my wish list to Gagnon's and they gave me a price that beat everyone elses....

You want to know why...because they know me...not personally but as a reg. customer and fisherman.

They did their own research of the competition and gave me a block price on what I wanted far below the comp...(cuz they knew I would research it)

Sometimes its far better to go to the small guy ....OFTEN.

Gagnon's got just over $3500 in biz from me this year alone...prob saved me about $600

Another place I frequent often partly because of location...is Skevy's in Belleville....Why?

The same reasons....

On any given day you can walk in there and see Keith, Gary ...Italo etc..

Again why?....because they have what it takes.....They know their stuff and will better then price match.....Again..its because you frequent their bizz.

If its happening on the BoQ these foks know....and they have the fishermen in there every morning to prove it.

Good friend of mine off this board gave me a low down on some electronics from Radio World....

Not going to mention his name 'cept he dont smile in pics often...

Gagnon's beat their price hands down...

I think you have to get out there and actually spend some time with certain bizz's ..and cha-ching.

BPS IMHO has a great reel department......

Jackie..(2Jack2) was one of the best.....I believe he is now manager of that dept.

Still, if he isnt there...service can be difficult and prices are as listed.

I think you have to spend the time with the retailers....same as spending the time on here...

its all for info on the sport we love.

And nobody in the store is apparently a walleye fisherman as nobody knoew what a slow death hook was or who gary parsons & kieth keviech were from the next bite ??????.....but hey ernie we have all been there too,but im suprised you were able to control yourself and not jump over the counter and open up a can of whoop- :asshat: on them !!!!!LOL..LOL.. but i think like i told you on the phone,i would have went straight to the store manager,and had a talk with him since guys like us drop more money in that store than what those too guys make in a year !!!!!! cheers bro

Actually most of the BPS staff in the fishing Dept also hold careers such as, Teachers, Police officers, Military, Firefighters and Business men.

So your comment about dropping more money in the store than those two guys make in a year is irrational and down right rude BIG SHOOTER LOL!!!!!!

Most the guys in that Dept work there for the love of the sport and enjoy talking to others about the sport.

RF

I work full time 5-2 at BPS, and I cant imagine a customer waiting 10 minutes for service. Not on my shift at least, if someone is busy, they are usually right with you when they are done with the first guy. Not to say it didnt happen, just that 10 minutes seems like a stretch. We get so much new stock in, its hard for even the full timers to keep track of everything, and most of the reels dont come in a left hand retreive, so maybe the employee was confused. Regardless, if you have a problem, talk to the manager.

Actually..Gagnon's is one of the best priced places going.

Dont get me wrong...I love my time at BPS and my old regular..'Tightlines' in Pickering but Gagnon's.....

Jason..the young guy...he's the heir apparent and he'll deff. give you the deal of the day.

Brian in electronics there really knows all the stuff and if you can find a better price anywhwre they will undercut it..by pennies..just the same..it'll cost less for your repeat bizz.

That is what its all about tho.....repeat bizzzzz...for the small market or none BPS anyway.

This year I put in my wish list to Gagnon's and they gave me a price that beat everyone elses....

You want to know why...because they know me...not personally but as a reg. customer and fisherman.

They did their own research of the competition and gave me a block price on what I wanted far below the comp...(cuz they knew I would research it)

Sometimes its far better to go to the small guy ....OFTEN.

Gagnon's got just over $3500 in biz from me this year alone...prob saved me about $600

Another place I frequent often partly because of location...is Skevy's in Belleville....Why?

The same reasons....

On any given day you can walk in there and see Keith, Gary ...Italo etc..

Again why?....because they have what it takes.....They know their stuff and will better then price match.....Again..its because you frequent their bizz.

If its happening on the BoQ these foks know....and they have the fishermen in there every morning to prove it.

Good friend of mine off this board gave me a low down on some electronics from Radio World....

Not going to mention his name 'cept he dont smile in pics often...

Gagnon's beat their price hands down...

I think you have to get out there and actually spend some time with certain bizz's ..and cha-ching.

BPS IMHO has a great reel department......

Jackie..(2Jack2) was one of the best.....I believe he is now manager of that dept.

Still, if he isnt there...service can be difficult and prices are as listed.

I think you have to spend the time with the retailers....same as spending the time on here...

its all for info on the sport we love.

Thanks for the info! I must've confused Gagnon's with another store. I will be sure to stop in (with my trusty LeBaron catalogue in hand) next time I'm in the area. Yes I too heard about how good the prices at Radio World can be. I can't say enough how this board can be good for the price sensitive fishermen.

I work full time 5-2 at BPS, and I cant imagine a customer waiting 10 minutes for service. Not on my shift at least, if someone is busy, they are usually right with you when they are done with the first guy. Not to say it didnt happen, just that 10 minutes seems like a stretch. We get so much new stock in, its hard for even the full timers to keep track of everything, and most of the reels dont come in a left hand retreive, so maybe the employee was confused. Regardless, if you have a problem, talk to the manager.

wellif you work there, then I'll make sure I go when your on shift.

and it was 10 minutes according to my watch as well it was two people not one. in the end i do realize it's a big store and I never have a problem so long as I know what I am looking for.

As for the left hand retrieve reels they are clearly marked at bps as to which ones are availabe in lhr I would expect some effort on the part of the staff to help me with my request.