I don't rant often but BPS really

ecmilley

steamed my butt last night.

I don't know maybe it's just bad luck but everytime I go there to but any kind of reel it seems there no stock on what I am looking for (like stradics the last time)

I need a left hand retrieve baitcaster with a flipping option ( iuse it for bottom bouncing eyes) after checking the website and do a bit of research bps has ther own brand with what i am looking for 6.4 retrieve 7 bearings flipping option LEFT retrieve right on off to bps after work, upon arrival I stand at the counter for 10 minutes or so with no salespeople around anywhere except for the one busy on the phone, no sweat check out some more reels, then go off in search of some terminal tackle i require anyway, find most of what I am looking for go back to the reel counter now there is 3 people working there so after a fairly quick 5 minutes i tell them the reel I am looking for and immediatly am told they don't make them in a left hand retrieve ok fine i mention that the website say s there available in left am told quite quickly that the website is wrong ok fine again I pick the reel up from the display and show them the big tag theat mentions both left and right retrieve availabe, guess what they take the tag off complain to me that they were told to put that tag on, and they are not available without so much as checking, but they do offer me a left hand retrieve without a flipping option, I mention I nned the flipping option for bottom bouncing and GUESS WHAT they just walk away without trying to find me a soloution, i picked up a catalyst pti I know comes in Left but they didn't sem intrested in helping anymore.

I did myself proud though kept my temper under control stayed polite and put the rest of my purchase back on the shelf.

My question to everyone would be is this normal of bps customer service?

anytime I've been there the people at the boat centre and on the floor have been pretty good but it seems they put all the sour pusses on the reel counter, oh well i can get the same stuff just about anywhere instead of trying to drive from Lindsay

Ouch that sucks... did you happen to get their names? Roger perhaps you can look into this???

try www.all-americanoutdoors.com They carry BPS products cheaper then BPS sells em for!..and are easy to deal with and CHEAP!

G

Edited by Gerritt

Any time that happens ecmilley just get the manager or demand to speak to one befor you blow your top watch how fast they help you out.

My pops blow his top there last year and lets just say the sales person is no longer working there.

It's there job to help us out we are the ones spending good money for the gear.

Do your job or find another line of work.

So far i've never had a problem with BPS but for my money i like La Baron they are smaller and always call you when your gear is in stock.

beats me that someone gave you attitude ... usually when i'm at the reel counter i have a good chat with the salespersons. Have you tried talking to the manager on duty?

As for the reel, have you checked out the daiwa viento? It's got a twitching bar and lefty model ... have never used one on the water but it seemed real nice when i picked it up last time i was there ...

Guest Johnny Bass

I think Goby has it right. You should have spoken to the manager. Or asked them to go check to make sure. Especially if you came a long way to get something. You should have explained to him you came a long way and if he still didn't help? Complain to the management about bad service.

The guys at BPS are really great and go out of their way to help. I've had guys go in the back and search it from top to bottom for me. No one has ever been rude to me.

I believe this is the unit you're looking at?

http://www.all-americanoutdoors.com/inc/sdetail/486

Come in a lefty and has the flipping switch, 7 bearing, 6.4

$72.00 BPS has em on SALE right now for 59.88.. their reg price is 79.00

Call the link I mentioned.. they will match the BPS Price. Mention you're from OFC (They advertise here)

G

Edited by Gerritt

I worked at BPS when they first opened, we had very few complaints like this one. Things must have changed over the last couple of years. I know johnny morris personaly and know that he would not appreciate someone like that working for his company. I would get a name and fire off an email, or talk to a manager if you ever go back to the store.

I just sent an email to the Vaughn store with a link to this thread so they could have a heads up to some customer service issues.

Good job Green hope that helps but there are a lot of good guys that work there always willing to go out of there way to help out.

To tell you the truth, I have no expectations when I go there. That way I cant be disappointed.

I have not had to buy anything major there, but when I did go to look at fishfinder/GPS combos and asked the guy behind the counter what the major differences were between Lowrance and Eagle, his comment was that Lowrance was more expensive. Well, I could see that because of the PRICE SIGNS on them. Thanks bud. I ended up having to search the web to get all my answers...stuff he should have known. It's not like it was busy there either....he was helping one guy...waited patiently for 10 minutes...he came over to me, gave me his non-answer and then walked away. I was astounded....but not terribly surprised after the fact. I ended up buying a unit that they BPS carried at Radioworld. Better service, better price.

Guest Johnny Bass
To tell you the truth, I have no expectations when I go there. That way I cant be disappointed.

I have not had to buy anything major there, but when I did go to look at fishfinder/GPS combos and asked the guy behind the counter what the major differences were between Lowrance and Eagle, his comment was that Lowrance was more expensive. Well, I could see that because of the PRICE SIGNS on them. Thanks bud. I ended up having to search the web to get all my answers...stuff he should have known. It's not like it was busy there either....he was helping one guy...waited patiently for 10 minutes...he came over to me, gave me his non-answer and then walked away. I was astounded....but not terribly surprised after the fact. I ended up buying a unit that they BPS carried at Radioworld. Better service, better price.

I had the total opposite experience. When I talked to the electronics guy? He really fascinated me with his knowledge of fishfinders and GPS's. This guy could probably build one from scratch!

So I guess you got a novice, still in training.

Thats probably something I would have said on my first day of work.Eagle and Lowrance are the exact same companies. The Lowrance are the higher end models. Thats all I know.lol

I had the total opposite experience. When I talked to the electronics guy? He really fascinated me with his knowledge of fishfinders and GPS's. This guy could probably build one from scratch!

So I guess you got a novice, still in training.

Thats probably something I would have said on my first day of work.Eagle and Lowrance are the exact same companies. The Lowrance are the higher end models. Thats all I know.lol

I've worked in retail before, so I know about the wide range of experience employees have. Glad to hear you had a good experience!!! The difference when I worked in retail and didn't know the answer was that I went and got someone who did.

Guest Johnny Bass
I've worked in retail before, so I know about the wide range of experience employees have. Glad to hear you had a good experience!!! The difference when I worked in retail and didn't know the answer was that I went and got someone who did.

True enough. You got the people that care about customer service and the people that are just there to kill time and get their paycheck.

Thats why I always get a second opinion if I don't like the answers I get. I'm very persistent.

I think Goby has it right. You should have spoken to the manager. Or asked them to go check to make sure. Especially if you came a long way to get something. You should have explained to him you came a long way and if he still didn't help? Complain to the management about bad service.

The guys at BPS are really great and go out of their way to help. I've had guys go in the back and search it from top to bottom for me. No one has ever been rude to me.

Too bad you had a bad experience, personally I would echo Johnny Bass`s comments I am there frequently and when ever I have needed assistance the customer service was top notch.

Cliff Cliff Cliff ....you just couldnt wait?

If anyone is not happy with service or any other issue they should always ask to speak to the MOD (Manager on Duty).

Actually, on the other hand if you're happy with the service you received (I know most of the fishing associates go out of their way to help a customer) you could also let the MOD know that as well.

BPS has a reward system for their employees and letting them know that also helps promote good service. If you are like me, you should always expect good service where ever you go. If you don't tell anyone about your issues then it can't be fixed.

Thanks guys, I really should have asked for the manager but seeing that i work customer service as well, and just finished my 11 hour day i was in no mood to play anymore games with the two people giving me a lackluster display of knowledge, seeing i wasn't able to get what I wanted that night I didn't see any point in pursuing the matter I'll just stop at gagnons on the way home tonight and check out what they have

Edited by ecmilley

Isnt Gagnon's one of the most expensive stores though? I've only been in there once or twice but I thought the prices were threw the roof. BPS is good for one thing though, and that's the cure for cabin fever! I rarely buy anything there, but it's good window shopping where you can physically examine the merchandise. And watching the fish tank is pretty neat too. And it's not hard to drag the mrs to the mall. And when I find something I like, I just get it from a cheaper competitor like Le Barons, though I'll be sure to use allamericanoutdoors.com for the bigger ticket items. That company sounds like a real deal, and I'm thankful they're supportive of OFC.

I believe this is the unit you're looking at?

http://www.all-americanoutdoors.com/inc/sdetail/486

Come in a lefty and has the flipping switch, 7 bearing, 6.4

$72.00 BPS has em on SALE right now for 59.88.. their reg price is 79.00

Call the link I mentioned.. they will match the BPS Price. Mention you're from OFC (They advertise here)

G

I have the exact reel. It is a great price and I love it.

I have been to Bass Pro Vaughn a number of times and am always underwhelmed. When I did the Michigan tackle shop tour I almost left Bass Pro Auburn Hills off the list. I'm glad I didn't. Out of the seven or so shops I visited in Michigan, it was the best in terms of service and a close second in pricing to Sportsman's Warehouse.

Retail/Customer Service is taken very seriously in the United States and it seems to lose something coming across the border re: Bass Pro, Wal*Mart, Home Depot etc.

And when I find something I like, I just get it from a cheaper competitor like Le Barons, though I'll be sure to use allamericanoutdoors.com for the bigger ticket items.

Don't forget that BPS will price match. No sense in running all over the country burning gas.

That company sounds like a real deal, and I'm thankful they're supportive of OFC.

Sorry, I know I'm biased, but ask motv8tr or a few others about BPS' contribution to Fishing for Tyler and other events. BPS puts significantly more back to the industry than any other store! A lot of what they do goes under the radar, because in many cases they're not looking for the publicity out of it.

Edited by BPSBASSMAN