Third Time Lucky?

Photoz

I've been watchin' all of the other carp guys get their first, second . . . tenth carp of the year . . . . then the girls start to get 'em . . . . I HAD to do SOMETHING!! I'd been feeling pretty unwell (off work) for almost a week, but Friday I decided to go for a (short) drive . . . not much of a breeze in northeast Toronto, but when I hit Port Credit, it was whippin' outta the northeast at about 40+ klicks, I spotted a couple hardcore carpers all bundled up, sitting on the boardwalk . . not a line bump, so I moved a bit further east to Etobicoke Creek, somewhat sheltered there . . . but after 3 hours & not even a line bump, I gave it up. I checked a couple more spots on my way east . . . too windy . . . . and eventually ended up out at Rouge Park. Another 3 hours invested here, plus about 5 pounds of corn & groundbait . . . DEAD!! The ONLY thing I saw catching fish that day were these guys . . . . they were havin' a heyday with the small shad or alewife . . . but I DID see one nail about a 12" sucker . . . . down the hatch it went. Looks like he's 'FLASHIN' his pall here . . . likely just drying his wings!

med_gallery_77_129_105091.jpg

But . . . . not to be discouraged, I headed back to the Rouge Saturday morning . . . got there about 09:00 . . . . several guys fishing . . . and I was told . . . "Ya shoulda bin heah an hour ago," and was showed shots of a couple in the 15 pound range. Again . . . about 6 hours this time . . . saw ONE l'il bitty carp (2 pounds) caught, and a medium sized catfish. This time I had a furious red-wing blackbird go after me every time I walked near my van . . . he and his mate were into some serious home building . . . stoooooopid bird flew at anybody walking past. Here he is givin' me proper hell, then quieting down once I walked away, waiting for his next victim!

med_gallery_77_129_9047.jpg

med_gallery_77_129_54587.jpg

After TWO unsucessful days, I figured I had a few more hours left in me, so I headed back a bit earlier today . . . it was about 7 degrees, with an east wind already starting to come up . . . . . brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! One of my fellow carpers had a good one on about 08:00, but the hook pulled out. It was nearly 09:00 when I heard my favourite tune start to play . . . beep . . beep . . BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP . . . . and line started to peel off my spool! CARP ON!! Although he had lotsa power, he wasn't into playing much . . . only took about 5 minutes to land him with the help of some newfound friends . . . . good way to start out a new carping year . . . just over 24 pounds! (Please excuse the gill hold . . . he slipped as I was posing!) Withing 10 minutes my friend, who was very new to carp fishing got one on. He had fairly light gear, so he sure got his money's worth out of a healthy 12+ pounder. He's now thoroughly hooked on carp . . . he's a board member . . . I asked him to post his first ever carp, which he handled like a pro!! I hope he does . . . I didn't even get his name though? Here's my 24 pounder. I stayed another hour, but it clouded right over, and the east wind was now about 35 klicks . . . so I packed 'er up. Water's still a little cold . . . another couple weeks & they'll liven up though!

med_gallery_77_129_52467.jpg

I put in 2-3 hours at CCIW on Saturday. Went home minus 2-3 lbs of corn and 2 lb of ground. Not even a bump. No carp visible in shallow sections. Yes agreed, water still a little cold for lake ontario and close bays.

Maybe some inland ponds like Centennial park???

Anyone fish there?

Nice Photoz

Had a close to 30 pounder on my line two weekends ago. AND I MEAN CLOSE Worst thing is when it hit the way it ran i thought it was a trout at 1st, and to top that off it was the second day of the perch derby here in dover. Of course the fish had to run down in the channel there was only like a hundred people fishing along side the peir. I was screaming fish on ...LOL....Anyway cut a long story short never had a landing net so was unable to get it out the water once i finally got it to the wall.

I was really peeved too because that would have been my PB lake erie carp. But ohhh well there will be another time.

Great pics photo'z :thumbsup_anim:

Nice fish Steve...

WTG my friend...

Time to dust off the carp equipment and find a new place to catch them up here...gotta a feeling this long weekend will be the end for crappie...been a good run this year...

I take it you heard our spot over at Carp Point got covered by massive boulders...