FINALLY . . . . . .

Photoz

After rumours, stories, speculation & other innuendoes, a reasonable-sounding report is finally out, concerning last summer's carp die-off in the Kawarthas. For what it's worth . . . . . .

Fri, May 9, 2008

New virus fells fish. Carp safe to eat despite die-off

By JAMES NEELEY, SUN MEDIA

PETERBOROUGH -- A fish virus new to Ontario has been identified as one cause of the carp die-off that littered area lakes with 12,000 to 24,000 fish last summer. John Cooper, of the Lake Erie management unit for the ministry of natural resources, said extensive testing by the University of Guelph and federal fish health labs confirmed finding a new fish virus in Ontario -- the koi herpesvirus. The MNR previously identified a bacteria, columnaris, as the cause but now say the new virus also killed fish. The koi herpesvirus, first found in North America in 1999, was discovered in two fish collected from Scugog and Pigeon lakes last year, Cooper said.

It only affects carp, goldfish and koi, he said, and is not a danger to humans, "because it can't live in a body as warm as a human." Carp infected with koi herpesvirus are safe to eat and handle, he said. Last year's die-off also will not threaten carp counts for this season, Cooper said. "Carp are a prolific fish that can quickly bounce back from a die-off," he said. There is no evidence the 2007 carp die-off was caused by a contaminant spill, Cooper said. Trying to determine what caused last summer's carp kill took extensive testing, Cooper said, noting autopsies don't work on fish. "Once they are dead the natural process may mask the cause," he said. "We have to get the fish alive and transport to the lab as quickly as possible."

Sounds plausable to me . . . . I wonder how long they'd have taken to come up with a report had the die-off hit bass . . . . pickerel . . . . . muskies? Ah h h h h . . . . . there won't be much fishing pressure on ANYTHING more than about 100 klicks of the city this year . . . . nobody will be able to afford gas. Any provisions on any boats to deck 'em out with sails?

From my understanding, this virus has already spread across Lake Erie, Niagara region, Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence. I remember reading about KHV in the newspaper in 2001 when all the areas mentioned above were affected resulting in massive carp die-offs.

One of the rules to being a politician is: The longer you mak'em wait, the more time you have to develop and practice a believable answer.

I think you should have substituted the work LIE for the word answer Bud. At least that would fit better down here now that we have the political race going on.....

Art

We need some bucket biologists to manufacture this virus... in vast quantities! Frankly, I'm not sure what's grosser, a french carp or carg herpes... They're both nasty and don't belong in our waterways.. They're more of a nuisance than anything else.

cheers

HD