Fishing spots for inexperienced anglers

jonnybass

i agree 100% with greencoachdog......find your own spots....i had to do it so why should i lead a rube right to where the fish are?? so my answer the fish are in the water.....i dont like bein the guy to make a post go sour...believe me i dont but it always seems to be the same person questioning about spots to fish......take a little time out of your fishing day and go for a walk....thats how i found all my spots....its not hard just takes a little extra effort

Im of two minds about this. On the one hand Ive done a lot of digging in my life finding my secret holes and id hate for some of them to see to much pressure or have access retricted to them because to many people are showing up and fishing there. Ive done a ton of exploring and put a lot of milage on vehicles diggin it out so why shouldn't they.I once drove to Labrador on a rumour of a good spot,same thing to the Nipigon, Timmins etc...

On the other hand heres a little story, there a beautiful little spec creek close to a city. The section that holds trout is only about a mile long and is due to a huge influx of ground water. Both above and below that 3/4 mile stretch of trout water the creek is more like a drainage ditch and no one had ever thought to look for trout in the creek at all. One angler though had discovered this little secret and kept it close to his heart. He loved that little creek for it would occasionaly produce very nice fish. Nothing record breaking but the odd 13 or 14 incher. He guarded it cloesly and kept it to himself for many years. Throwing anyone off the scent with lies and misdirection concerning the trout and habitit that existed there calling it nothing more than a ditch.

One spring morning he woke up full of hope and anticipation of tussling with the trout in the creek. He hadnt been by it since the season last closed and was looking forward to its charms. Upon arriving there he was stunned to see that a new development had sprung up. All the cedars where gone as was the beautiful meandering channel. In its place he found a straight cement channel with no subtrate and of coarse no fish.He rushed to the MNR to complain and demand that the developer be charged. The MNR said they couldn't charge the developer as there was no significant fish communties in that stream they had allways heard it was nothing more than a ditch.

Sometimes the more people know about something the more friends it has. And a good friend will always have your back. I never mind telling people"spots" but like solo said there is no spoon feeding. I give general locations only. And with that said I find a great beginners lake to be Sparrow. Despite its proximity to the big city. Its very easy to catch fish there. Go if you dont have a boat rent one and enjoy some good fishing. Bye the bye the story is true.

Edited by Musky or Specks

I don't generally agree with spoon feeding newbs either. However one man's ultimate fish is another man's garbage fish and so on.

With that in mind if anyone likes fishing for basketball sized carp that are stupid easy to catch, then I have the spot for you. I know they are easy to catch because every year I go to catch just one and in a half hour you can land 10 or 15, if you wait till after a rain. This honey hole is about 1 to 2KM long. Where is this carping paradise you ask? I am going to tell you it is anywhere along the Avon river below the John St damn in Stratford. Free parking available at the TJ Dolan area if there aren't a couple of hundred people visiting relatives at the hospital. You just walk along the river find a spot and fish all day and night if you like. Also feel free to take your limit home with you PlEASE. And if I had the GPS co-ordinates I would POST them.

Seriously, if you have a couple of hundred quid tied up in carp equipment you will be wondering why you didn't just go to Walmart and buy the spiderman rod for 9.99 because kids catch hundreds of these carp on that type of equipment all day long all summer long.....

Thanks to the OP for making it OK to finally give up my secret carp hole..... I have been dying to share this info for a long time now.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Im of two minds about this. On the one hand Ive done a lot of digging in my life finding my secret holes and id hate for some of them to see to much pressure or have access retricted to them because to many people are showing up and fishing there. Ive done a ton of exploring and put a lot of milage on vehicles diggin it out so why shouldn't they.I once drove to Labrador on a rumour of a good spot,same thing to the Nipigon, Timmins etc...

On the other hand heres a little story, there a beautiful little spec creek close to a city. The section that holds trout is only about a mile long and is due to a huge influx of ground water. Both above and below that 3/4 mile stretch of trout water the creek is more like a drainage ditch and no one had ever thought to look for trout in the creek at all. One angler though had discovered this little secret and kept it close to his heart. He loved that little creek for it would occasionaly produce very nice fish. Nothing record breaking but the odd 13 or 14 incher. He guarded it cloesly and kept it to himself for many years. Throwing anyone off the scent with lies and misdirection concerning the trout and habitit that existed there calling it nothing more than a ditch.

One spring morning he woke up full of hope and anticipation of tussling with the trout in the creek. He hadnt been by it since the season last closed and was looking forward to its charms. Upon arriving there he was stunned to see that a new development had sprung up. All the cedars where gone as was the beautiful meandering channel. In its place he found a straight cement channel with no subtrate and of coarse no fish.He rushed to the MNR to complain and demand that the developer be charged. The MNR said they couldn't charge the developer as there was no significant fish communties in that stream they had allways heard it was nothing more than a ditch.

Sometimes the more people know about something the more friends it has. And a good friend will always have your back. I never mind telling people"spots" but like solo said there is no spoon feeding. I give general locations only. And with that said I find a great beginners lake to be Sparrow. Despite its proximity to the big city. Its very easy to catch fish there. Go if you dont have a boat rent one and enjoy some good fishing. Bye the bye the story is true.

thank you musky or specks this gave me a completely different outlook.....i still feel as though people are too lazy these days and just expect someone to tell them where to go but your post has definately made me see another side to the argument....appreciate it

thank you musky or specks this gave me a completely different outlook.....i still feel as though people are too lazy these days and just expect someone to tell them where to go but your post has definately made me see another side to the argument....appreciate it

Just keep those spots "you know where" secret LOL. I actaully dont mind telling people general areas or directions and there is all kinds of tools that people dont think of to find spots, for an instance did you know that if you look at soil maps for an area they will tell you where just about every trout stream in that area is located?

no i did not know that.....thats good to know....thanks alot musky or specks!

Yup find streams that run through alluvial deposits(sand and gravel) and youve probably found a trout stream. They can be pretty localized. I know of one stream that doesnt have another trout stream within 50K of it but hits a nice alluvial deposit and boom even though it flows through a dump instant speck stream which has produced an 18" fish.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Is it just me or are most of the guys that fish the tribs for trout the ones that are super secretive? Seeing that the spots are more structure dependent, then say a lake, I could see why no one would give up their spots.

Personally, if someone at the ramp or launch asks me what I caught, I'll tell them whatever I can.. Lure, depth, colour, structure etc etc. I really couldn't care less.

Is it just me or are most of the guys that fish the tribs for trout the ones that are super secretive? Seeing that the spots are more structure dependent, then say a lake, I could see why no one would give up their spots.

Personally, if someone at the ramp or launch asks me what I caught, I'll tell them whatever I can.. Lure, depth, colour, structure etc etc. I really couldn't care less.

So true Id rather give up a lake than a stream any day. Streams can be subjected to too much pressure, its a smaller enviroment, although I have seen lakes fish populations plummet from to much pressure as well.

mouth of nottawasga river now would be a good time for huge channel cats and carp,in the fall for salmon and rainbows.

HUGE CHANNEL CATS.

Perch of the break wall here in the bay. Just get here early.LOL

Thanks for the topic.

Good way to find out what type of attitude certain members have towards not just new but to other members with their favorite outdoor activity.

Not necessarily so IMO. People are generally more willing to give up their spots and locations when conversations are done more intimately through personal contact (meeting up and fishing, through PM's, e-mail, etc). No one wants their personal happy space exposed to millions of people some of whom may not share the same level of appreciation of nature and the resources available to us.

I don't post many spots on the web, but if someone pm'ed me and asked nicely, I'd give them all the detailed info they'd need.......with a reminder to keep it on the down low. Not that I'm greedy, I just don't need a bunch of guys fishing my go to spots. There is just something about sharing my info with the whole world that I don't like. Sharing with another fisherman, one on one, or face to face at the boat launch is another story all together......I'll tell them everything.....I've even gave away my lure that was catching!

I didn't have the web when I started looking for spots. I just went and fished.......and I was happy doing that. Now I pretty much fish the spots that produced when I went searching........the search is half of the adventure!

Sinker

Most big rivers have good access for shore & wading ,if you don't have a boat.

Trent - Severn dams & locks.

Just make sure you know the Regulations & have a license.

All Conservation Areas are easy to find too. :Gonefishing:

Ontario Parks,etc..

Edited by danbo

The find your own spot method is a little program i like to refer to as "Tough Fishing Love", it's hard... but they'll be better fishermen for it!

That's not to say that I wouldn't take a newb out and show him some of my techniques if I lived closer, I would... but don't sit around and wait for somebody to lead you around by the hand, get out and explore. My best fishin' spots are just that because I found them myself!!!

If a newb is a member of this board and wants to find places to fish, all he really has to do is READ AND PAY ATTENTION!!! There are plenty of spots mentioned on this board all the time without even having to start a "spots for newbies" thread.

So how many newbies are you taking fishin' with you this weekend jonnybass???

Edited by Greencoachdog