Fishing spots for inexperienced anglers

jonnybass

I've been reading so many reports with no locations ever mentioned.

I imagine that it must be frustrating for novice fishermen that come here trying to get into the sport but don't know where to begin!

I got this idea from another fishing board. Let's show our OFC spirit and all contribute one good fishing hole for the guys just starting out!

Here's my contribution:

Whitevale (Pickering) for steelhead fishing shortly after opener. The steelhead are there now.

Part of the fun/adventure in fishing is finding your own fish, if the novices are just handed good fishin' spots... they'll expect it all the time and won't become self sufficient. I say nay! They need to learn how to find their own fish!!!

There's also the hook ups section on this board that they can browse and maybe get together with another board member.

Onje of the rules of this board is to not post too specific of fishing locations.

What I find interesting , is folks who are new to fishing and sign up on this board and don't know any good spots for different species, so they get other OFNers to take them out, show them different spots and techniques, but then when other newbies join up and ask where to go, the new "experts" tell them to go find their own spots.

Some folks seem to forget that only a year ago they were asking the same questions.

If i were you and just looking to get into some fish I would start sight fishing.

Walk along the river or a shore on the lake somewhere and look for fish.

You should be able to spot panfish and probably some carp.

Or look for fish jumping, and start casting in that direction.

I cut my angling teeth on the Grand River starting 40 years ago--(Example-painting in photo section)

Anyway this is one of the greatest rivers in Ontario--very accesible by millions of people---various types of fish and ways to catch them and various types of scenery from top to bottom.

So grab your boat/canoe-or waders or lawn chair--all depending on area and give er

Bushart

althought i would love to help in the directions part.....im not that well experience as some others on here......but, while i was at bass pro the other day i saw these maps of certain lakes and showed ya pretty much where the fish are and what type of fish that lake holds ,a great refrence guide i think...and for only 9.95

What I find interesting , is folks who are new to fishing and sign up on this board and don't know any good spots for different species, so they get other OFNers to take them out, show them different spots and techniques, but then when other newbies join up and ask where to go, the new "experts" tell them to go find their own spots.

Some folks seem to forget that only a year ago they were asking the same questions.

You have a point Lew, but the "Experts" are just giving the same reply they got when they were newbies.

I remember when I first joined the board looking for ice fishin' help on my first trip to Ontario, the info I got was pretty much non-specific and not much help... because people didn't know me, but I have followed the board and made friends and learned a lot!

There's the other side of the coin as well. I remember one member on this board telling the story of taking a couple guys out for big fish, and showing them the spots and techniques... only to meet them in the same place on opening day the following year having already fished the good spot. ;)

There's the other side of the coin as well. I remember one member on this board telling the story of taking a couple guys out for big fish, and showing them the spots and techniques... only to meet them in the same place on opening day the following year having already fished the good spot. ;)

I remember that story well Glen ;)

It just bothers me when newbies ask for help and are told to go look for your own place, even though this person had to be shown himself.

Here is the problem I have with this suggestion....

10 years ago, before I met Michelle, I had a great pond in the Notty Valley, it was full of Specs and Huge Largemouth. I took 2 "newbies there and got them into some great fishing".

Well not to be outdone they in turn took there friends there and well you get the idea.....10 years ago a beauty pond that I had to myself is now full of carp, full of crap on the shores and gone are the big bucket mouths and specs.

If you want to learn, get out to the Niagara River, or Port Dalhousie, or Credit or 16 Mile or Bronte or one of the other 30 or so well known spots around Lake O, learn some new techniques, make some friends, give people confidence that you will respect the resources and are like minded as far as conservation goes, then someone will take you to a honey hole.

In Ontario we have so many angling opportunites, that I think it is hardly neccasary to post hot spots on the board. One of the favourite things that Michelle and I have done over the years is to get a Back Road map, turn to a page and start exploring the waters on that page.

Most local tackle shops can point an person in the right direction. Go buy a lure and stirke up a conversation with owner, this will give you a starting point. Or go to the local MNR offfice and get a stocking list. The backroads map book series is a good helper as well.

Theres fish in almost every waterbody, catching them is the challenge.

In Ontario we have so many angling opportunites, that I think it is hardly neccasary to post hot spots on the board. One of the favourite things that Michelle and I have done over the years is to get a Back Road map, turn to a page and start exploring the waters on that page.

As a new recycled fisherman one of the joys of fishing for me today is checking out likely looking locations. As I drive around my part of the country I keep an eye on any water I see and if it looks promising I make a point of getting out to it later with my gear.

I was introduced to a few sure spots early on but the evening I caught a smallmouth with what I'm certain was one of my own lost lures (grey rapala/slipped knot) still hanging from his lip I knew I'd been there too often, and I also knew I had to pay more attention to my knots. I was starting to feel like some of those fish were old friends. Once I know they're there and what they're gonna bite there's not much pleasure in it. I'm primarily a C&R guy. I just enjoy getting away from phones and people sometimes.

Of course not every spot is productive but how bad can it be to just wade down a quiet stretch of river by yourself on a warm summer evening?

I guess it's human nature to ask for tips but I don't really care if I get them or not. As much as anything I like to get clues as to where the best access points are to get into the creeks and where to park the car. For the rest of it I'm happy trying different lures and different retrieves.

JF

If you want to learn, get out to the Niagara River, or Port Dalhousie, or Credit or 16 Mile or Bronte or one of the other 30 or so well known spots around Lake O, learn some new techniques, make some friends, give people confidence that you will respect the resources and are like minded as far as conservation goes, then someone will take you to a honey hole.

I don't think the thread starter was looking for anyone to give away there secret Honey Holes. I think just listing some well known areas that some newbies can get into fish such as listed above is what he was looking for.

I'll start.

The mouth of the Rouge River is always a good spot to catch Carp, Bullheads, Some bass and Pike in the spring. Also in the Fall you can catch Salmon there.

Here's my contribution:

Whitevale (Pickering) for steelhead fishing shortly after opener. The steelhead are there now.

Im pretty sure the residents of Whitevale would not be pleased to have read this anywhere...

They have been trying to cut off access areas to anglers for years.....theyve also spent a tremendous amount of monies and time in rebuilding the banks of their stream.

I found this exact location more than 35 yrs ago by accident walking the river from the south...miles south.

These residents take great pride in their waterway to the point that local public school students are taken down there on school excursions to see the spawn and trout runs every year.

They despise the out of town anglers who trash their waters and the banks....as well the no parking areas the angler parks in that are covered in litter by garbage they leave behind.

Im not bashing you johnnybass......its just not a good idea at all to post on the internet.

This is why we have the hookups section.

I was a newbie to musky fishing 5-6 yrs ago.....(well, after being away from it for some 40 years anyway)

I was also a newbie to icefishing 9-10 yrs ago....

I just learned to study each species...everything that I could find written about the subject or on video.

The AdventureMaps books were great beginner tools...but none better then actually getting out on your own and approaching anglers already there and learning from them.

Look what happened to the TO Islands after all the posting some 5 years back right here on this board.....Ill admit, I was one of the newbies then too........Now there are fewer and fewer locations there that can be acessed.

H O O K U P - S E C T I O N........thats where it belongs.

There are tons of places like Valens, St. Johns Conservation Area (Fonthill...tons of trout) and other stocked ponds that are perfect for beginners. Since these are put-and-take fisheries, they can be published without fear of wrecking someones 'honey hole'.

I don't mind telling beginners where to go. But I'll send them to beginners spots that are generally well known anyhow.

Any newbies in the London area looking for a place to start should try below Fanshawe dam. Lot's of big carp that like corn niblets and can be a good spot for smallies when the season opens. Also occasional pike and perch and silver bass and rock bass and suckers etc. Good place to take kids.

I have no problem telling newbies good spots, or well known spots. I may keep the best of the best for myself or close friends, but giving away a location is only part of the secret, gear, tackle and presentation has a lot to do with your success as an angler as well.

I also find if kind of curious that many of you are concerned with the environmental impact, increased anglers will have on your riverbanks, lake shores, parking lots, etc. I can appreciate that increased traffic relates directly to more garbage and pollution, and no one wants to see our pristine waters get any worse. On the other hand I think that angling is a great outdoor "introduction" sport for many individuals. Lets face it, less and less people are spending time outside in the wild, appreciating the beauty that Ontario, and furthermore Canada has to offer. I truly believe that by introducing more people to fishing, they are more likely to fall in love with the natural environment, and show more concern for it. The more people that are concerned about the state of a riverbank or section of forest, the better.

With that said beginner anglers aren't likely to enjoy their time, or become "hooked" on the outdoors if they do not begin in a productive location, catching fish is just more fun when your just starting out and that is really your only goal.

so I can't help with GTA locations, but Kingston Mills locks can be a great spot from spring-fall for pan fish, bass, pike, carp, gar and suckers when they're in season and I've also heard of muskie being caught there. Also although I've only ever seen pictures, there is supposed to be a fairly good run of trout and salmon in the fall.