How do you shut-up Your neighbors Dog

dsn

in Sudbury we have a little known by-law that states dogs cannot bark, an anonymous call to the spca and they get a phone call of a complaint, if it happens again they investigate and they can be fined, it doesn't have to be a neighbor to complain could simply be someone walkin thru the neighbourhood that heard ur dog, even if it's in ur house

Thanks for all the info. Truely greatful to you all. My brother said she has spoken to the neighbor but they didn't do anything about it. Since it is the neighbor directly beside her house... I think the best way to go about it is to feed the dog "treats."

But I don't think she'll try mashmellows. As they can't be toss from a safe distance :lol:

She's afraid the dog might be able to jump the fence. We'll recommend her to try the doggy treats.

And we'll tell her not to over feed the dog so it won't die of over feeding or high colestrol. :D

Many Thanks

DSN

We'll see how things go. I'm not one who hate dogs either. I get a german shepard if I could :)

have you tried sleeping pills stuffed in cheese ?

I would truely think or hope this is just a joke. Do not do that as it can result in a serious charge. Not to mention you have no idea what effects you can cause on the dog. The dog for some reason is barking at your friend. Try the giving treats thing, it does seem to work. I have done this before and it will take just a few weeks and everything usually turns out fine. To give the dog pills is not a very wise decision by any means.

just get a high pressure hose and spray it evertime u want to go out. Works good on big and small dogs my neighboor used to have a yappy jack russel and a big shepard. They run like cowards and wont come out for a while.

Bowen

I'll second that, when we first moved to goderich the neighbors behind us had two mastiffs that would bark, growl and carry on non stop, it got to be quit an annoyance not being able to use our yard in peace. bought a couple of super soakers and problem solved, the interesting part is after being sprayed a few times and no squirt guns needed until we sold the house two yeas later.

BEFORE you give the dog anything it can eat, your best to check with the owners first.

Just like humans, dogs can react to certain foods.

They are NOT supposed to have dairy products or chocolate.

I am sure the neighbours wouldnt mind introducing you to the dog, to get the dog used to your scent.

Once its regonizes you, it wont bark anymore.

My dog would bark because he was happy to see you. Maybe the dog is just looking for attention?? Have you tried approaching it?

Mine would also bark when you put your boots on to leave.........crazy dog!

Sinker

Even as a joke, suggesting poisoning a dog is not nice. I'd rather deal with a barking dog than bratty kids.

Did you know that people who have dogs as neighbours are 50% less likely to be the victims of a home robbery? My old neighbour called the police once when my dogs were barking at some kids playing in a nearby parking lot. The police asked her if she had ever had anything stolen from her house. She said no. The cop said "thank your neighbours dogs'. The officer came by and chatted and played with the dogs...our local bylaw was such that only when a dog barked continually for 20 minutes would it be a nuisance. And since that was generally only going to happen when a dog was left tied outside it didn't happen too often. After that my neighbour was quite sweet to the puppies and asked what kind of treats she could give them (baby carrots is their favorite). A few months later, some kids tried to get into her shed and take her mower. Guess who alerted her to it and enabled her to call the police?? My neighbour took the time to understand the tone of each bark and what they meant. Each dog has a different bark for different situations....hunger, fear, danger, play time, 'let me in', intruder...

Listen to the dog and you will learn the difference and know how to react.

My dogs bark at things that are not normally part of the world they see each day. People walking by, dogs, etc.

They are alerting me to an interloper. That is part of their duty as they see it.

Dogs that bark a steady higher pitch over and over again are bored and lonely. Befriend the dog..make him like you and give him attention. Eventually you will be able to comfort him and he will listen to you.

Dogs are not complicated creatures to figure out.

I agree 100% to be nice and never have a problem with dog's at all - as suggested earlier, befriend the dog with acceptable treats, etc., and all will be well. But one thing that dog owners must consider and realize, it isn't the responsibility of the non dog owner to keep the dog(s) quiet and civil in a community setting. it is the dog OWNERS responsibility to keep after their pets, be good neighbours and train their dogs appropriately. Rick, it almost seems like you feel it is everone else's responsibility to get along with your dogs, not your responsibility to keep them in line... I'm not going to spend hours and hours trying to figure out or learn your dogs behaviour.... that's your job, you bought em, you're responsible for them.

My dogs are allowed to bark just as my neighbours kids are allowed to yell and play. If my dogs cross the line (which they do not) I deal with them. Dogs bark..fact of life. In my neighbourhood we all have dogs so it is not an issue.

My dogs are trained quite properly. If someone comes near the house and you do not know them..bark. If you want to come in..bark. Simple really. I live in an area with large yards, lots of kids and open space.

I know my dogs barks quite well. If my neighbour learns them too, it could alert them to possible trouble as well. I know my neighbours dogs barks. My dogs know them too. An intruder alert sets off a series of dogs alerting to the problem. It is the best neighbourhood watch program there is. Though I just moved here, I have been told there has not been a single break in or theft in many years. Thieves know not to bother with homes with dogs.

If you have a neighbor who is not able or willing to control their dogs barking, then my advice is sound.

Many years ago, a dear friend was troubled by a neighborhood pit bull. In addition to the barking there was the running charge at the fence as icing on the cake, so he would hope the fence would hold up each time the dog charged.

He found a cheap steak with some rat poison from his local Canadian Tire, all under $10.00, gently tossed over the fence at dusk was a cost effective solution. He tried discussing a solution with the dogowner but this resulted in only invitations related to intercourse.

A 'one bite' steak size was used, if I recall correctly, to ensure complete digestion.

Vomitting was the last he heard from that dog.

I gave him a stern look to make sure my disappointment and disapproval were obvious.

I would talk to the owner...see if that solved it, and then speak with the town by-law department, once government bureacracies are notified of a problem, I am confidant rapid action and solutions will result.

I surpised that someone has not mention this, Find out the dogs name and how the owners tell it too be quiet.

Dogs bark when at people to alert the master, tell it too be quite and show athority, You would really be surprised how many dogs think your in charge and listen.

~ Treats also help

Just wondering - why are all these dogs outside.

If they are pets, shouldn't they be inside? :dunno:

Do you not like to go outside?? Dogs require exercise and fresh air... just as humans do.

They also do their business outside....

G

Edited by Gerritt

Dogs are pack animals.

They need exercise, discipline and affection to be happy and well adjusted.

Just like children, dogs need rule, boundaries and limitations...you can call this leadership.

Many owners provide lots of affection, but very little exercise and discipline and almost no leadership.

In the absence of this strong pack-leader the dog will assume that role unwillingly.

This puts terrible stress on the dog, who now feels it must guide and protect all the family members...

Since it can't control it's "Pack" it becomes increasingly neurotic...seeing everything as a threat.

Barking dogs are often those ones who have assumed this role of pack-leader and are feeling tremendous stress.

Sadly, talking to the owner might be pointless. They are not good dog owners and pack leaders...they are not in control of their dog!

If they were, the dog wouldn't be allowed to bark at things beyond it's own yard!

Meeting the dog and establishing a relationship might work.

If you do decide to go this route, the rules are no talk, no look, no touch.

Move into the dogs space with confidence and stand still, without looking at the dog, talking too the dog or touching the dog.

The dog will come to you and smell you. Yes they will pay particular attention to your butt!

When it's ready, it will initiate contact or simply move away. The owner can then call the dog over and intoduce you.

Remember to "Walk Tall" stand upright, with shoulders back, and ignore the dog while it checks you out.

You want to appear as a strong leader who owns their own space.

Dogs recognize this strength. Afterward, they will not feel threatened by your strong presence next-door.

Garry2rs

Do you not like to go outside?? Dogs require exercise and fresh air... just as humans do.

They also do their business outside....G

Something wrong with you (again)?

Of course, dogs go outside.

But they should be brought in afterwards.

Do U leaver yer dog out all night? :dunno:

Something wrong with you (again)?

Of course, dogs go outside.

But they should be brought in afterwards.

Do U leaver yer dog out all night? :dunno:

huh?? wrong with me??

and any person that leaves their dogs out all night is not a caring or responsible dog owner..

G

Some dogs are just uncontrollable and that's just that. Just like some people are uncontrollable.

No one should have to put up with constant dogs barking at all hours of the day or night. PERIOD.

I have had several dogs in my lifetime with the last one for 13 years. Good dog owners don't let their dogs constantly bark at any hours through out the 24 hour day. Some people work nights and have to sleep days. Once we start justifying why it's OK for a dog to bark for hours on end we have failed as dog owners. And I don't care if they scare off so called burglars once in the blue moon because they are scarring off the quality of life daily for everyone else.

If communication fails between the owner and the local authorities I wouldn't hesitate to take the manner into my own hands.

I hope you can get this resolved and start enjoying the back yard again.

Bob

huh?? wrong with me??

and any person that leaves their dogs out all night is not a caring or responsible dog owner..

G

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My wife would sooner leave me outside than my dogs. I have less roghts than them. Dogs are like family, still they are just dogs but very easy to please. One of my beagles gets angry and hides my shoes when I dont take him out with me. They are funny creatures. I bring them out to the park, or even just to the corner store for milk if I have to, keps them happy.