James Bay Break-Up Flood Pics. (nf)

Moosebunk

Been hectic in this end of the north with all towns along the James Bay coast on flood watch and a number of them being evacuated. There was worry of flooding here on Moose Factory island but when the ice broke on the Moose River April 23rd what water was backed up behind a massive moving ice dam only proved to bark, not bite. Water levels rose about 18-20 feet and parts of the island saw a little flooding but my basement stayed high and dry. Between the 23rd and yesterday the river here pretty much cleared. Fort Albany and Kashechewan I'm sure are making the news as Canadian Military are assisting with the evacuations there. I've seen some pics of Albany and yeah... they're freaking soaked, but at least the ice isn't destroying homes. Attawapiskat and Peawanuck may be next.

It's business as usual. If only 400 years ago the fur traders hadn't been so lazy to set up their trading posts just a little further up these immense rivers.

Anyway, here's some pics from home. From the ice flows to my chopper ride home from work this morning that shows pics of a clear river.

April 24. Around Town.

breakup08-07.jpg

breakup08-01.jpg

breakup08-06.jpg

breakup08-05.jpg

breakup08-02.jpg

breakup08-09.jpg

breakup08-08.jpg

breakup08-11.jpg

breakup08-03.jpg

April 25. Commute to work in Moosonee.

breakup08-15.jpg

breakup08-14.jpg

breakup08-10.jpg

breakup08-13.jpg

April 28. Morning commute home from work.

breakup08-12.jpg

breakup08-16.jpg

This hometown of ours sure doesn't have the greatest aesthetic appeal through much of the year, but when the flood waters come, it's evident that it was built to last since it's first settlement in 1672.

As of this evening, things down here in Perth County where the aprox. 400-500 evacuee's from Kashechewan have already arrived is going fairly smoothly. Both Stratford and now St. Marys shelters have received people. When both Stratford & St. Marys shelters are full both Milverton & Mitchell will start to receive more. I am coordinating St. John Ambulance's assistance to the effort and at times working with the Organizational Committee. Now I'm soon off to bed as tomorrow is another long day ahead.

Best Wishes: Rick

As of this evening, things down here in Perth County where the aprox. 400-500 evacuee's from Kashechewan have already arrived is going fairly smoothly.

400-500 folks... half of 'em will think it's party time and before you know it the military will need to be called down from here to join yas. :whistling::lol::w00t: Good luck with it all.

UPDATE - Kashechewan evacuation suspended.

As of tomorrow morning some of the Kashechewan residents in Perth County will start there return to home. As of now only 2 flights of aprox 35 each are scheduled. Aircraft availability will dictate how long it will take to complete everyone's move home. As of now it is expected that the last people will leave by Sat. afternoon. If more aircraft become available their return home may happen quicker.

400-500 folks... half of 'em will think it's party time and before you know it the military will need to be called down from here to join yas. :whistling::lol::w00t: Good luck with it all.

Actually things have been going quite well over the last day.

After hearing they where good to return home, I suspect they will be some very disappointed people when they realize that only a few are to be leaving tomorrow. Some also may enjoy the extra day or two.

Rick

Thanks for the warning. I live a few hundred yards from where some are being housed. I s'pose I could just join the party though. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

Nice to see some pics from up there and hardly any snow left on the ground. I lived up there for a summer in 1987 as a Junior Ranger worked a lot at Tidewater P.P. and took a few floatplane rides to north point, Polar bear P.P. and Akamiski Island. Saw a beluga in the river headed upstream one day at the park while painting picnic table and cutting grass.

jjcanoe

Latest Update

As of this afternoon both the shelters have closed down. Only 120-140 evacuees left in Stratford, which are being housed in local motels. All expected to depart for home tomorrow.