Whats Wrong With Bass Pro Shops

MCTFisher9120

Not saying it's anybody here but i have herd for years that bass pro shops rods reels tackel whatever is not good. I think they sell some of the best rods and reels around. Is it me or am I the only person who likes Bass Pro Shops.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

No problem here I have have spent thousands of $$$ since they opened the store I love the place!

I have too. :D:D:D

I know I'm biased, but I have found a lot of BPS/XPS equipment to be excellent!

Some good prices - some bad prices....but the staff is generally pretty clueless

I'm probably one of the "clueless" ones, :huh::huh::blush: but some of your best contributours on this board are Bass Pro Staff and believe me they DO know their stuff. Everybody doesn't know everything (although some are unbelievably knowledgable across the species). My skill is in knowing who is the expert in the fields that I'm not experienced in and making sure the customer gets the "right" answer.

Sorry about your bad experiences SS

recieved one of thier rods free with a reel purchase slapped a pfluger presidend baitcaster on it and i love it.sweet setup the rod isnt very pricey but its im7 graphite has great action and it was free.bought a couple of thier soft tackle bags and im very happy with them.as for thier prices i would rather go to lebarons.

Most reel brands are no longer made in the country they started out in and developed, a lot are now made in China. I had a couple of the BPS brand Abu imitations synthetic reel seat instead of a metal one and even with some playing around with them casting quality was irregular, so they were sold.

The gripe I hear is they don`t hold up compared to say a Shimano, same with the Zebco brands(Quantum). No factual experience with Quantums have bought a Zebco in 40 +years

Seeing what the pro`s use is iffy, they probably get new ones on demand for cheap or free. Us folks that buy them want something that is going to last.

Just like a car different experiences with each one for a lot of people.

I've had mixed experiences at BPS. Looking for a fishfinder for my dad worked out ok, but most of the people behind that counter couldn't answer my questions.. I went back home, did MORE research then came back in and picked one up. On the other hand, I talked to a guy behind the reel counter for atleast an hour before I purchased my Shimano Citica 100DSV. He was extremely helpful and didn't Bull me when he couldn't answer one of my questions. He simply found a person that could... Anytime I go back in there I make a point to see if he is working or not and have a quick chat with him. Didn't try to push the BPS brand on me at all (which I have had some sales people do)..

All in all great store, selection is great and the prices aren't to bad (depends on the item, I find they are very overpriced on reels)

Love the cartoony fish ID t-shirts. One of their (now discontinued - gotta love 'progress') house brand topwaters was really unique, and is one of my best producers.

I've had pretty good luck asking questions of the guys in the fishing dept. Marine electronics...well, I guess I have a talent for finding new guys on their first day unsupervised.

Gotta echo the pricing concerns. Often WAY higher than retail - I can point you at an MSRP $200 item with a $280 price tag on it. I don't mind a buck extra here and there to pay for enjoying the nifty fish tank, but $80 on one $200 item....I don't spend THAT much time watching the gar. :)

No worries - I'm sure there are some knowledgeable folks, I just don't seem to have much luck finding them.....

I fully agree....and when I have located one there is usually 2-3 talking amongst themselves.

I suppose its because when I go there its an off weekday and not a busy weekend when theyre on their toes helping out.

I do not like to be 'Salesmanned" to death either..pretty much know what I want when I go in.

lol...Dont like their products either.....lol

...trying to figure why i even go now...Oh yeah...saw it advertised or for the most part..OR,

My locals just didnt carrry the stock needed.

Nothing but great things to say about Roger tho..a real treat to run into.....

There used to be an exellent reel counter sales guy there who used to frequent this board a while back.

That would be 2jack2..(Jackie)..he really knew his reels.

One thing I like about BPS is that you can shop for multiple areas of need....even if you have to spend a little more.

Ive always loved onestop shopping...just like X-mas!

Edit: Ive only ever purchased NameBrand....Shimano RodsNReels/St.Croix/Rapala etc...

Edited by brickNblock