Kawartha Carp?

Weeds

I know the Carping season is a good ways off but I got to thinking anyways. I believe the official Ontario record for Common Carp is somewhere around 38 pounds but I have seen numerous unofficial claims on the internet of people claiming to have caught Carp bigger than that in Ontario. I've seen (although never caught) some pretty big Carp before and imagine there must be some real bruisers out there, probably bigger than 38 pounds. My question is this, do you think that the Kawarthas (Peterborough is my new home, thus my interest) are likely/capable of producing a new record? If not the Kawarthas, where do you think the biggies would be, Lake Ontario, Bay of Quinte, the Don, McElligot's Pool ? Any opinions, comments?

Edited by Weeds

well as you know there are carp all over those areas,and they are real big,but i would think the great lakes for the biggest,ive seen and caught many big carp in lake ontario...and hear of 25lbr's caught regularily so they are out there,if i was going to chase a record carp in ontario thats where i would be fishing...just my 50 cents worth cheers & good luck :thumbsup_anim: oh ya and in lake o you can fish them all year so get out there and lets see some of your pics :D;)

Edited by fishindevil

Thanks for the input, Lake Ontario wouldn't surprise me although having just moved from Toronto I'd like to think I've relocated to Carp country (Maybe kidding myself, we'll see how things match up come this summer). Funny how few Carp pictures you see in January ain't it? It's like they vanish. Can't even remember the last Carp pic anyone posted.

One of my favourite topics for sure...I'm still looking for that 40

Every year 40+ lbers are caught from Ontario (Lake Ontario, Kawarthas, St. Lawrence). Claiming the record, you'd need to kill the fish and hold the fish in your freezer while waiting for OFAH to weigh it on their scales when they call for it...Why bother go through the hassle?

Having fished carp in Peterborough and throughout the Kawarthas for almost the last decade, if you're trophy hunting, you'd be better off fishing somewhere else. That's not to say that 40+lbers don't exist in the kawarthas - They do. I've had fish to 33lbs in Peterborough and heard fish to 42lbs were landed in the last couple of years. Getting past the numerous 12-17lb fish is a challenge and finding that one peg where that monster lives is the real challenge.

In my experience most of the fish you catch in the kawarthas are relatively long and lean compared to the fish found in Lake Ontario which generally have more girth to a fish of equal length. River fish compared to Lake fish. To me it would make more sense fishing for fat and chunky fish than trying to get a big lean machine.

Waters with higher percentages of larger fish from my research:

- Lake Ontario, bays and tributaries (55lber caught from the Islands by 13 yr old boy - Toronto Star)

- Hamilton Harbour (68+lb dead common found in carp trap, 64+lb carp released from trap)

- Bay of Quinte (Some real bigguns there)

- ST. LAWRENCE!!!

- Lake Erie

Best of luck on your quest

Guest skeeter99

**Every year 40+ lbers are caught from Ontario (Lake Ontario, Kawarthas, St. Lawrence). Claiming the record, you'd need to kill the fish and hold the fish in your freezer while waiting for OFAH to weigh it on their scales when they call for it...Why bother go through the hassle? ****

hmmm why bother with the hassle

these days breaking a provincial record or canadian record is worth about half a million dollars

endorsements from equipment you used etc. even the boat and say how well your gm product pulled it

if u broke the bass or walleye record **especially**tackle companies would be all over you

tell them rod and bait, u get cut of sales of rod and baits just so u can have your picture in add saying u caught with shimano rod with a chronarch reel

and if you sign a contract with a major tackle company saying how u slayed that record you will be on pro staff and get this **dont work just fish all around the world**

IMO---- this is hardly worth the time and hassle ROFLMAO

If u do break a record bring over to me I will cash in for you since you would not want to be hassled

Edited by skeeter99

Not sure on the sizes but I have seen some good size Carp in the Ontonabee around Peterborough, they seem to be widespread along the river, perhaps someone with more experience in the area would be able to help.

Weight apart I'm sure they would give you a good run for your money, especially with a bit of water current to help things along.

Tight lines,

Mick

I believe the OFFICIAL record for a carp in Ontario was 38.6 pounds, caught over by the first stand of willows at the Ganny in Port Hope. My best (pictured) was just over 34, from Port Credit, near the rivermouth. I have landed (for others) a 41+ at the ol' 'stacks' at Lakeview, and a 43 at Hamilton Harbour. I've caught a lot in the 15 to 20 pound range up in the Otonabee . . . but rarely have seen any over the 25 pound range. Out of all my spots, pound for pound, the Kawartha carp SEEM to be the best fighters . . . . even with the 13' Technium (3 pound T/C) and a Thunnus, I've had carp run several hundred feet up there, with the drag pretty tight!!

As for killing a 50 pound carp, just to see my name in the record book . . . . . it would never happen . . . . if he's been smart enought to live long enough to get this big, I don't think it deserves to die for it!! As for the BIGGEST . . . . . from all the information I read, the lagoons on the Toronto Islands seem to hold the biggest . . . . and toughest to catch. EVERYBODY who goes there, sees MONSTER carp, but can't seem to entice a bite!!

I truly believe the biggest carp will come out from Cooks Bay. 2 Years back a marine opertator told me he has seen a 60 lber come out from there and released. I have fished cooks once and noticed not many people fish for them there. As some folks know I fish carp alot. I have only landed one out of cooks bay (from a boat) so far.The carp in there are always seems stronger than the norm. I was even almost spooled twice while fishing there had I not horse the fish and the hook pulled out. Theres tons of weeds there for the carp to hang out in the spring not to mention tangling your line in the beds.

MJL we got get out there !!! :D

dsn

One of my favourite topics for sure...I'm still looking for that 40

Every year 40+ lbers are caught from Ontario (Lake Ontario, Kawarthas, St. Lawrence). Claiming the record, you'd need to kill the fish and hold the fish in your freezer while waiting for OFAH to weigh it on their scales when they call for it...Why bother go through the hassle?

Having fished carp in Peterborough and throughout the Kawarthas for almost the last decade, if you're trophy hunting, you'd be better off fishing somewhere else. That's not to say that 40+lbers don't exist in the kawarthas - They do. I've had fish to 33lbs in Peterborough and heard fish to 42lbs were landed in the last couple of years. Getting past the numerous 12-17lb fish is a challenge and finding that one peg where that monster lives is the real challenge.

In my experience most of the fish you catch in the kawarthas are relatively long and lean compared to the fish found in Lake Ontario which generally have more girth to a fish of equal length. River fish compared to Lake fish. To me it would make more sense fishing for fat and chunky fish than trying to get a big lean machine.

Waters with higher percentages of larger fish from my research:

- Lake Ontario, bays and tributaries (55lber caught from the Islands by 13 yr old boy - Toronto Star)

- Hamilton Harbour (68+lb dead common found in carp trap, 64+lb carp released from trap)

- Bay of Quinte (Some real bigguns there)

- ST. LAWRENCE!!!

- Lake Erie

Best of luck on your quest

Hey that 13 yr old was me... :D On my ugly stick!! And rusty reel.

dsn

I've never fished for carp, or even caught one for that matter, but I've seen some real monsters floating dead in Quinte over the years and wouldn't doubt that water holds some really huge fish.

Steve (Hamilton) caught a biggun in Stoney Lake a couple years back that was around 35 pounds if I remember correctly.

Some real good opinions/ideas floating around, thanks for sharing. As far as killing a carp just to set a record; I have to agree that would be a shame. How longs it take for OFAH to do a check? No keeping it in the bathtub? :D

DSN, I've fished with you before along the Toronto waterfront. I'm Rossco from Outdoor Ontario.

The biggest carp lives in Mississauga, ON.

I doubt I'd eat any carp bait you may have though and

don't think I'll be recognized as the new record. ;):D

Seriously, I've seen some real pigs in Quinte while fishing spring walleye.

They're swimming right along the shore (spawning)

in water so shallow, their backs are exposed and they have to thrash around to get back to deeper water.

My vote for the most likely or best spot to catch a new record is L.Ontario and any connected bays, inlets, and rivermouths.

Carp are a warm water species.

They can be caught year round, but are more active and easier catch in warmer waters.

In colder months, power station outflows are a good place to find them.

Be careful and good luck.

Some real good opinions/ideas floating around, thanks for sharing. As far as killing a carp just to set a record; I have to agree that would be a shame. How longs it take for OFAH to do a check? No keeping it in the bathtub? :D

DSN, I've fished with you before along the Toronto waterfront. I'm Rossco from Outdoor Ontario.

Ha Ha welcome to the board.

DSN :thumbsup_anim:

My son pulled this beauty in spring 2005 off the pier here in dover when the perch derby was on. Took him about 30 minutes to land this fish actually it was two grown men that had to haul this pig up out the water in a net....lol

rick20with20carp.jpg

I love to fish for carp have a video carp fishing with BBR & MR SINS WHICH IS JUST HILLARIOUS. :D

I know this thread is getting long but here's my two cents. When I used to work for a CA in Durham region I did a fair amount of work along the lake ontario shoreline and the coastal marshes and man did we see some carp.

In Lynde whats his name in Whitby we would hit them while paddling maybe every 20th stroke they were so thick. But if want some easy pickings the best place to go that I know of to catch trophy carp is Cranberry whats his name in the spring and early summer, during the spawn. There's a carp barrier at the outlet of the whats his name where you can easily see on any given day two dozen nice sized carp swimming around near the shore. Hell I could have probably broken the record with a big stick and my waders. The access is in Whitby on the east side of Halls Rd. about 150 metres from the lake, which runs south off of Victoria St. Any of the coastal marshes in Durham are good places to catch big carp just about anytime during the summer (Second whats his name, Mclauhglin whats his name, Duffins whats his name, Wilmot). The tanks destroy habitat for just about every other species of fish, so if you think that killing one carp is a shame just think of all the native fish habitat that they destroy when feeding and spawning. I say keep as many as you want.

Walleyeguy, This is a quote from the rules-"Please do not post VERY SPECIFIC information on fishing spots, ie pinpoint locations and maps. It is our belief that sharing this type of knowledge to the general public is not at all good for the resource itself. When communicating info on spots, please keep it to email or a PM. "

I'm guessing your post was censcored because it was too specific. It was informative all the same, thanks.

Carp peacefully co-exist with ALL other species of fish in ALL places I fish them. A very popular 'ol' wives tale among the uninformed is that when the carp move in, ALL other species leave. Generally, when this happens, it means the water quality has gotten so bad other species cannot survive. Carp do 'root around' in shallow, tepid marshes, and stir up the water . . . . . but again, the water is generally so bad by then, even if you cleared ALL the carp, other fish couldn't survive. A true sportsman, who knows of what he speaks would NEVER advocate just killing off a fish that thousands of us enjoy catching, just because they believe many tales handed down by earlier generations, who didn't know either. I'd suggest you do a bit of reading on the subject, before wildly proclaiming the carp as 'enemy #1! Here's a good start . . . . .

HISTORY OF CARP IN THE UNITED STATES

Prior to 1900, most native fish were viewed as vital food resources. Fish designated as sport fish today were harvested commercially and shipped by rail to the cities. The results were gravely declining stocks of river and lake fish at a time the U.S. population was greatly expanding. In 1871, Ulysses S. Grant and Congress ordered the formation of the U.S. Fish Commission to oversee the nation's fisheries interests. By 1877 the studies of European fish farming techniques indicated the carp would contribute to the strength of the nation.

By 1874, the commission after long study issued a report entitled, "Fishes Especially worthy of Cultivation." It went on to say that no other species except the carp promises so great a return in limited waters. Cited were advantages over such fish as black bass, trout, grayling and others "because it is a vegetable feeder, and although not disdaining animal matters can live on vegetation alone and can attain large weight kept in small ponds and tanks."

In 1876, the commission enumerated other good qualities such as high fecundity (a count of ripe eggs in the female fish), adaptability to artificial propagation, hardiness of growth, adaptability to environmental conditions unfavorable to equally palatable species, rapid growth, harmlessness in relation to fish of other species, ability to populate waters to it's greatest extent and fine table qualities. By 1877, citing the above reasons and adding, 'there is no reason why time should be lost with less proved fishes," the commission, convinced of the value of carp, imported 345 fishes of scaled, mirror and leather carp from German aqua culturists. On May 26th, they were placed in the Druid Hill Park ponds in Baltimore, Maryland. The ponds proved inadequate and some were transferred to the Babcock lakes on the monument lot in Washington, D.C. the following year.

So did they somehow escape from these confines to populate nearly everywhere? No. Now state governments get involved. Records indicate about 6,203 fingerlings were produced in the Babcock lakes in 1879. These were shipped to 273 applicants in 24 states. About 6,000 fingerlings were produced in the Druid Hill ponds that year and were stocked primarily in Maryland. One year later, 31,332 carp were shipped to 1,374 applicants. In 1882, carp production increased to 143,696 fish and distributed in small lots to 7,000 applicants. In 1883, about 260,000 carp were sent to 9,872 applicants in 298 of 301 congressional districts and to 1,478 counties. During the years 1879 to 1896, the U.S. Fish Commission distributed 2.4 million carp, some of which were sent to Canada, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Mexico. By 1897, the Commission discontinued the stocking because carp had been distributed nearly everywhere and many states assumed the task of propagation and stocking of carp.