marine batteries

workwear

well ive decided to get 2 new marine batteries to replace my interstates that i have on my boat....have priced out a few places....i currently have 2 interstates ones rated at 875 mca(marine cranking amps)...CN has interstates for 135 each but are only rated at 725mca.....but i did notice at cosco they have marine batteries rated the same as mine for around 80 bucks!!....but of course they are with the kirkland name.....was wonderin who makes them for costco.....all have the same warranty...12/36.....was wondering if someone could shed some light on this.....also i have notice the new style of battery....i think they call them the gel pack...looks like 6 medium cups of coffee....lol......they sell for round 200.......help!!!....

cheers

Optima makes a good battery, have used them for many applications. Their warrenty is also great, right over the counter. If you do some hunting around you should be able to get a marine (blue top) for under $200. I have a Canadian Tire deep cycle running my electric motor right now, and it has been flawless.

I think it was under $100.

I'd stay away from Kirkland batteries.

Bought two of them in the last few years and both had to be returned because they stopped holding their charge. The guy at the counter said he was told that 1 out of 3 are defective but if my experience was any indication of the true defect rate, it's probably much worse.

From what I hear, Costco batteries are made by John Controls. I just bought one a couple of days ago as they were on sale. With a $21 instant rebate, a 115 amp battery was less than 70 bucks. I sure hope mine doesn't turn out to be a lemon!

My 2 deep cycles for my troll motor are OMC batteries that I bought way back in 1999 and are still working flawlessly and powerful, and still hold a charge for a very long time, even after all those seasons, and I'd buy them again when needed but I don't even know if they still sell them.

I got them at Boatland Canada on the 115

The cranking battery for the big motor is called a Walleye.1 Marine Starting that came with the boat (Crestliner) and is also original with no problems, but I have no idea where to by them now or if they're even available either.

Sure hope so though cause my good fortune won't last forever.

IF you can find a Delco Voyager battery grab it. I have had very good success with this battery. I still have one as my cranking battery and it also powers EVERYTHING but the trolling motor and it's eight years old now. I tried to find one to use this year to replace my dead trolling motor battery and no one around me carries them any longer. I am pretty sure I purchased the one I have at K Mart but now they carry Die Hard batteries.

Edited by Billy Bob

I'm looking to get a couple deep cycles too. This page has helped me with some questions: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

I would love to get Optima or ones like them but can't afford it. I will probably go for the CT Nautilus deep cycle. Has anybody tried the Nautilus? Is it any good?

I have the Nautilus Deep Cycle...used it all summer long with a 30lb trolling motor on my canoe and boat. Have had no issues with it at all.

One of my concerns in owning a boat is having a dead starting battery when I'm out on the lake. Don't run an electric troller so only one battery on board. I want a good reliable battery. Interstate is my choice but there are other well known quality batteries too. Off brand personally I would not take the chance on. My battery in my boat is max 3 years old. After that it goes into my pickup or my wifes vehicle. Easier to get a boost in my pickup than my boat. Often I'm the only guy on the lake. So after a fishing for a couple hours or more with the sounder, gps and the stereo going it has to start.

My boat is having its 20th birthday this year and I have used many different battery tupes. While I haven't kept the data I think when I have bought more expensive batteries they last longer. However, the others cost less so my gut feel is that cost per year is about the same. Right now my TM batteries are Wally World and they have been just fine.

Good maintainence is the secret to longer life.

I have one interstate that I've had for what seems like forever....prolly 8-9 years...........no problems. Still as good as new.

I also have a nautilus gold from CTC. Its also been great....no issues either.....this will be the 5th season on that one.

I usually run the interstate, and keep the nautilus as a back up. But if I"m fishing for the weekend somewhere I can't charge the batts. I use the nautilus.....its just as good as the interstate power wise.....

Its all about maintaining them. Keep them charged all the time and they'll last a long, long time.

Sinker

I run the Optima Batterys in everything I own that takes a battery,I will never return to a acid filled battery

Anyone haev a list of pros/cons of running acid/non-acid batteries?

Do the chemicals in the non-acid one have a downside?

forrest

The optima line is probably the best battery out there------ If you are running a car in a demolition derby. Tough and durable but not cost effective. In my opinion not required for most folks. But I sure would be happy to sell you one............LOL

I am in the same situation, need new batteries for my trolling motor, I have had a number of nautilus batteries over the last few years and I think that they stink, I have always taken them out, toppped up when needed and trickled charged a couple times over winter, and I can never seem to get more than 3 years out of a battery, often less and I lost my receipts...doh.... I would love to be in Lews situation with battery's going on close to 10 years, Last time this was brought up, someone mentioned acme battery in Hamilton and they sell GNB (great northern battery), think I am gonna give those a whirl, as I don't want to splurge 200 on an optima... but I could definetly be persuaded...

I would love to get Optima or ones like them but can't afford it. I will probably go for the CT Nautilus deep cycle. Has anybody tried the Nautilus? Is it any good?

When I pulled into one of our Canadian camps last year, my cranking battery was dead and wouldn't even hold a charge. :wallbash: Trip to Canadian Tire (only place open on a Sunday am in the area) and I also picked up a Nautilus and it was fine all year long. Granted, it's only been in the boat for one year, so that may not be much of a test for reliability. It's fully charged up right now and just waiting to be put back into the boat. We'll see how long she lasts.

I am in the same situation, need new batteries for my trolling motor, I have had a number of nautilus batteries over the last few years and I think that they stink, I have always taken them out, toppped up when needed and trickled charged a couple times over winter, and I can never seem to get more than 3 years out of a battery, often less and I lost my receipts...doh....

Uh-0h ...knock on wood very quickly.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I'm looking to get a couple deep cycles too. This page has helped me with some questions: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

I own a CTC Nautilus Deep Cycle Battery, 750 mca, Amp Hour Capacity: 103 , for 4 yrs now and it hasn't let me down yet..at a price of $120 you can't go wrong..It's mainly used when I get up to the remote back lakes for trout to power my 40lb Minn Kota Maxxum motor on my 12' tinny....I've gone 3 days (trolling) without having to change the battery....the only negative feedback I have is:......MAN, IS IT HEAVY to lug around...either that, or I'm gettin older and it just seems like it's heavier B)

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

I own a CTC Nautilus Deep Cycle Battery, 750 mca, Amp Hour Capacity: 103 , for 4 yrs now and it hasn't let me down yet..at a price of $120 you can't go wrong..It's mainly used when I get up to the remote back lakes for trout to power my 40lb Minn Kota Maxxum motor on my 12' tinny....I've gone 3 days (trolling) without having to change the battery....the only negative feedback I have is:......MAN, IS IT HEAVY to lug around...either that, or I'm gettin older and it just seems like it's heavier B)

Yeah, I think I will go with one or two of those for my 16ft, depending on if I get a 12V or 24V elec. motor. The weight is what I was worried about but it's in my price range and I have heard good things! Thanks for all the comments guys! :thumbsup_anim:

I have 3 kirklands in my boat. 1 to start the boat, 1 for accessories and 1 for the trolling motor. has been 5 years not. the one that starts teh boat (115 yamaha 4 stroke motor) has never ever been on a charger. the one for the accesories (radio, fishfinders, etc) gets charged like once a month during the fishing season. and the trollign motor (55lb minn kota motor) gets charged as before we go out a again, that battery has always held up all day, we have never been without power to the trolling motor. So, in short. I have nothign but good to say about Kirkland batteries. to me they are god sent, all three batteries were under liek $200 all in.

After doing a bit of research, I ended up picking up 2 deep cycle marine batteries from Acme battery in Hamilton, which are made by Deka, which after a short google search seem to be decent, 2 large batteries with 810 mca and a 225 reserve capacity for $110 a piece after receveing a small deposit for 6 old batteries, plus there is no extra "recycling charge" as per ctc, and I believe the capacity's were better than the largest nautilus available, only down side is they only have a 1 year replacement warranty, no prorated warranty so we'll see

Edited by moemoe

I have 3 kirklands in my boat. 1 to start the boat, 1 for accessories and 1 for the trolling motor. has been 5 years not. the one that starts teh boat (115 yamaha 4 stroke motor) has never ever been on a charger. the one for the accesories (radio, fishfinders, etc) gets charged like once a month during the fishing season. and the trollign motor (55lb minn kota motor) gets charged as before we go out a again, that battery has always held up all day, we have never been without power to the trolling motor. So, in short. I have nothign but good to say about Kirkland batteries. to me they are god sent, all three batteries were under liek $200 all in.

Where can you buy Kirkland batteries?