? Sonar/GPS+WAAS/Chartplotting

brickNblock

Ive narrowed my search down to a few but are still open to some possibilities so I think Ive garnered enough info thus far.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

This is what my choices are and i'd appreciate your thoughts if any experience with.

Or.........Perhaps what to stay away from........

Humminbird 787c2i sonar/GPS+WAAS/Chartplotter combo

Lowrance LMS-527c dual frequancy w/ external antenna but same as above else wise.

Lowrance-520c but in 12 channel as opposed to 16 but same as above.

There is only a diff of about $70 between them all.

Price is not my concern in this range.

Just looking for the best between what Ive chosen here from anyones experience with.

My thanks in advance.

bNb

Hi, I just went through this. I ended up with the Lowrance LMS 520c unit for three reason.

1. When it comes to SONAR Lowrance is #1 in my books and they also have a very advanced GPS system

2. After a LOT of research I decide that the EXTERNAL antenna is the better choice. First it will give you better reception and second if you need to add radar or auto pilot a external antenna is a MUST with this unit. It is available as a add on option to the internal units but then you are paying a extra $200 for it.

3. The LMS 520c unit comes with a 20 degree cone angle and this is the industry standard and is the most useful over all cone angle. The dual frequency units come with 12 degree / 36 degree cone angle. However the 36 degree cone angle is when you are using the 50 mhz frequency which is used for DEEP water and it does NOT give you the detail the 200 mhz frequency gives you. So you would be stuck most of the time using a 200 mhz 12 degree cone angle and that pretty narrow for my fishing. Giving a 20 degree angle is approximately 1/3 the depth, that make a 10 foot cone angle in 30 feet. However, with a 12 degree cone and you bottom coverage would be almost half of that, probably about 6 feet. That would be harder to find structure and fish.

Good Luck,

Bob

BTW I order my unit SUNDAY night and received it Tuesday. After SEVERAL hours today taking out my old unit and installing this new unit I am about 75% done. Should finish tomorrow :)

I really appreciated that info Bob....

Pretty clear to me.

Thanks again...........If you dont mind ..any chance you can take the time and perhaps drop me a PM and let me know what you paid for that unit and where you got it from.

peter

BTW...I totally agree with you as far as lowarnce is concerned...

Only thing...Garmin an Huminbird have put out some nice /pretty units lately that'll catch anyones eye and interest.

I'm leaning Lowrance as it is.

Edited by brickNblock

Cabela's is selling the LMS unit for $649 with FREE SHIPPING (at least down here in the states)

I had a $25 Cabela's bucks code sent to me via email and a $20 Cabela's bucks code sent to me via snail mail. I was surprised when I order it online that it took BOTH codes lowering my total cost to $604.00 and since I have a Cabela's Credit Card I had a code for TRIPLE points that was also applied.

Bobby is a happy camper with this price.

BTW I REALLY like WATER speed so I order a paddle wheel speed sensor on Ebay and got it for $19.80 :)

Now believe it or not I order both of these things SUNDAY and I got the LMS unit yesterday and while I was in the middle of installing it the speed sensor was delivered. I didn't expect that until next week and thought it might hold up the whole project. NOW I am REALLY happy as I will finish the install job tomorrow.

If you need any other help just PM me. I have done a lot of these installations over the year for several people and have gotten pretty good at it.

Bob

I have the lowrance 527 unit and have found it excellent for finding structure. One of the things to remember when using a depth finder is it is showing you the highest point in the return signal. That means in a 6ft radius if their is a rock that is 2 ft off the bottom then it will show the bottom as being 2 ft higher than it really is. It will read the edges of a trench at the highside and will miss any fish or structure that is within 6ft of the trench. As you get into deeper water or a larger cone your cone increases and you miss more of the bottom.

If you are scanning for schools of fish then a larger cone is needed to find the schools of fish but just because you find the fish does not mean they can be caught. I rarely look for schools of fish but rather find the structure that attracts them or track a weedline or depth that is easier to do with the narrow cone. The advantage of the 527 is you can run both cones at the same time thus getting a detailed bottom reading and also the schools of baitfish that the predators are following. The funny thing about the depth finder is that most people use it in the auto mode and don't use 1/10 of the features that it is capable of displaying. Their is a wealth of info that can be read if you take the time to understand what it says by trial and error. Using the color feature and adjusting the gain can yield the info of is it baitfish or is it school of larger fish. You can tell the difference between bottom texture, hardness, weedlines, and rock/boulder fields. If you decide to work with the unit and study your feedback then you will have a better understanding on patterning the areas were fish are in any given condition. Looking for schools of fish are hit or miss at best.

Art

Don't mean to rain on your parade Roy....I have the 787c2 and it is absolutely amazing. Humminbird has come a long, long way and have a top notch product. I was a lowrance purchaser, but thought I would test out the 787. I will never go back to a Lowrance. The accuracy is just as, if not more effective than a lowrance. Don't know where you got your information from.

Sorry Spooked, didn't mean to offend a bird user. I'm sure the new birds are better than they were but thrice burnt is enough for me. My last 4 units have been Lowrance and I've never had anything at all but great results. I'm very sure that to stay in business, Humminbird has had to make some improvements so they're probably fine now. I've used other brands as well, I'm staying with Lowrance as long as they perform as well as they do.

Don't worry about raining on my parade...being as short as I am, I'm the last one to get wet.

Funny thing I noticed is Humminbird is very popular in the south here but Lowrance is more popular in the north. Kind of like Pepsi and Coke.

BTW if anyone is looking for a GREAT used unit I am selling (giving it away to a good home) my Lowrance X-50 unit for only $50. It has 3000 watts of power, speed, temp, distance log and ALL the other bells and whistles but GPS. EVERYTHING is guaranteed to work. I have everything that goes with it including the owners manual. It in EXCELLENT shape. When new it cost $549.00

Now lets catch some fish,

Bob

Funny thing I noticed is Humminbird is very popular in the south here but Lowrance is more popular in the north. Kind of like Pepsi and Coke.

Yes, Billy Bob.....that's the patriot market. Humminbird south, Lowrance north. Motorguide south, Minnkota north.

Hey Pete, once you decide which unit your gonna buy, have a look at Radioworld @ hwy 400 & Steeles as they have some excellent prices when compared to other marine electronics shops around here.

For my X510c they were roughly $80 cheaper than BPS or LeBarons and are usually about the same as Cabellas for many units.

Just a thought for you.

http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=3

Yes, Billy Bob.....that's the patriot market. Humminbird south, Lowrance north. Motorguide south, Minnkota north.

Oh crap....I'm gonna have to reflect and see where my priorities lie....I've got a Humminbird AND a Motorguide :whistling::whistling:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've still got my handheld Lowrance though.. :clapping::clapping:

Oh crap....I'm gonna have to reflect and see where my priorities lie....I've got a Humminbird AND a Motorguide :whistling::whistling:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've still got my handheld Lowrance though.. :clapping::clapping:

Well Azulu... I've got a Lowrance and a motorguide... so I'm only have a red neck. Must be something about where you live! :dunno::D

Thank y'all for some very exellent info.

Art....I'll deff. be going dual cone coverage T-Y much...

Going to try and maintain as high a wattage as possible.

Have been pricing units just about everywhere and came up with fairly decent deals on diff units at diff locations.

I hadnt even thought of RadioWorld...Lew....I checked their website and most prices Ive been given were better there...T-Y

I ndo have another thought with no answer for....

Internal...Builtin....External Antennas..?

Is there one better then another..or just diff. scenario of use.

Thanks again all..

bNb

I have the external for my Humminbird.....when I was trying to pick which one to buy....the lowrance model that I was looking at (can't remember which one now), you needed a seperate power source.

I checked the reviews on cabela's for some of the internal and there were alot of complaints about losing their signals, so that is why I opted for an external.

The lowrance extra power source is for the network the antenna hooks to not the antenna. It powers the net2000 that you can expand to include engine monitoring and fuel. This is not an issue and is simple to wire in so don't be scared of it. The external antenna is a small puck that needs a flat place that does not have any structure above it. (canvas is fine) I have mounted the puck on top of an aluminum hard top, front deck,back rail and next to the motor with no problems. If you have the ability to chase the wires to any of these locations then you will be fine with an external. I however havent had any issues with an internal antenna when used thru a canvas top held with an aluminum frame rods. Will you be leaving the unit hooked up all of the time or removing it evertime you put the boat away? Its not a big deal just 1 more wire to hook/unhook. If you bring your boat up to Lak Air this year I will give you a lesson on what info it can give you....you just wont believe what it can do and how much info you are missing.

Art

Art....

Hey bud!

I/We'll not be making lakair this year i dont think man.

Besides checking out all the bellsNwhistles and the new boat in general....

Ive got to complete the roof on my workshopNoffice............

put a subfloor in the office and full electric..then drywall/tape/mud/paint/carpet etc.........

After that Im putting on an addition to the new house...aprox 900sq/ft.

It involves ripping into the exististing roof.....

it'll be a busy year to say the least.........

Today i booked a slip at BayMarine in bellville on the BayOQuinte.....

Hydro/FillingStationNwashdown ..for the season

This way when Im ready and have the time we'll just skip down there ...hop in the boat and off we go.

The slip is right on the Bay.

Next year we'll be ready for Lakair.

I read with dillegence all youve sent and it s great.

The antenna thing puzzeled me a little.

A member here also sent me a website that shows exactly what you said.........

basically.....most use only 1/10 of their possibilities.....

I'll spend the money for wht I want..but I want to use all of it

Art.....It'll wait to lakair '09 for your private tutoring... but in the mean time Ill learn as much as I can.

ThankYou my friend.

All else who have replied I have equally taken in all of them and got to tell ya's the info is invaluable.

I hope someone else is reading these posts and might be gaining some knowledge with all this as it's exactly how i learned.

Someones elses posting can be the ticket to your own questions...

This is part of this board and what makes it a little better then anywhere else.

Thanks for your patience folks.

bNb