Hello new to the board

mustfish

Hello everybody!

Looks like a good active board. I live in Dayton Ohio and love to fish for smallies in the local rivers and creeks, stripers down at Cumberland, steelhead and salmon up around St. Joes in that state up north, and take a 7 day trip up to Canada every year towards the end of May(almost here!!!!). This year we are going to a lake in west central Ontario called Populus Lake(fly in) it is north of Kenora. Just wondering if anyone has fished or heard of this lake? If anyone has any tips for nailing those larger pike in the spring that would also be appreciated. It is good to be on board!

Thank you in advance!!!!

Mustfish!

Welcome Mustfish. Try Spinner Baits and Buzz Baits, they do wonders for pike up there. But in remote waters it seems anything works.

Love that top water bite!!!!!! I have caught a lot of pike on poppers but they are usually smaller ones, but still a ton of fun!!! Maybe I am not using big enough lures? I know bigger lures will catch bigger fish but will it be to early in the season for bigger baits? On a side note, I just started fishing for musky last year. In Ohio we have a couple musky lakes and Ceasers Creek is only about 40 minutes from my house so hopefully I can nail a few this year. Last year I had about a 40 inch musky follow my inline spinner to the boat and once thru the figure eight! That is amazing how they will come right to the boat and not get spooked. That was sweet to see that big fish right next to the boat, had to remind myself to breathe LOL!

Welcome to the board and I look forward to your input.

My recommondation for those Northern toothy critters is a BIG spoon, like a daredevil in the five of diamonds pattern or a heavy Cyclops. Top water can be fun, just be sure to have a strong leader.

reefrunner

Welcome.

As far as spoons go, don't leave home without a big williams whitefish. I'd also take a few blue fox vibrex # 4's or #5's in Orange, Yellow and Silver. Switch the treble to a single and add a 4 inch orange twister tail.

Buzzbaits are great in most colours, BUT my favourites is Black/Black buzzbaits...Booyah! Makes a good buzzbait for the price, and it has a real loud clacker on it.

Next up is a big huskey jerk....again the black model...Take off the rear most treble if you can use trebles at the lake you are going too...it will your life easier.....if it's a single hook only lake...but the hook in the middle position.

Chatter baits are also an asset. If the big pike arn't biting cause of bad weather.

That's the basics i'd be taking with me.

-R-

I love Buckeyes, but married a Hoosier; my bad.

Welcome aboard and thanks for spending money in Canada once a year.

I used to do lots of service work in your area (Chrysler radiator plant). My fondest memories are of visiting the Air Force Museum near Wright Pat. Like dying and going to heaven for an airplane guy.

Your right, these are a great bunch of guys who would give you the shirts of their backs. You know, if they were actually wearing a shirt.

welcome to the board from a fellow buckeye, i live in adams county right down on the river, went to college at moorehead st. in ky right next to cave run lake, you should try it for musky sometime.

jason