Digital Camera problem

GbayGiant

So my new camera got wet for the first time a couple months ago, it was in the soft case so it just got cold and damp at best. I can turn the power on and take one picture that works perfect and than after that nothing works at all, but I can turn the power off than back on and take another one, only one at a time by doing this ?

Anyone have any ideas or ever had that happen ? I know it's not worth taking it in to get repaired because they charge almost what I payed for it.

It's a Panasonic Lumix if that matters. It only came with a three month warranty and I've had it for 6 so thats out.

Edited by GbayGiant

Good.. at least there someone new for them to pick on !

Open the battery hatch..place that end up and place it in a hot sunny window for the afternoon. Don't try the oven trick... I've got one docking station now thanks to cooking the optical to digital converter doing that.

Check your warrenty! I dont bother fiddling fancy electronics.

I sent in a Nikon of mine that had a little water damage. It was about a month away from the Warrenty ending but i managed to get it in and fixed.

If your warrenty is expired and you send it in, you may get a bill for more then the camera is worth. But i know a few people who fought with the company over the price and they have dropped a descent amount each time.

-R-

Other suggestions

1) When I dropped my cell phone in the lake, I put it over an air conditioning vent in the car, and then in the house. The cool dry air did a great job taking the moisture out.

2) I've heard about putting in a ziploc bag and add a little rice....the rice will absorb any moisture. I'd suspect putting the bag in the sunlight like Wayne suggested will help it even more!

Good luck!

O.K., so the warranties toast but some good ideas. I'll try leaving it on the cool fresh air filter for a day than place it in a bag of rice for a couple than to the window for a few days above the heating vent and see what happens, then it's off to the oven on broil for good measure and mail the charred remains back to Panasonic and see if they can help me out. :)

Edited by GbayGiant

I can turn the power on and take one picture that works perfect and than after that nothing works at all, but I can turn the power off than back on and take another one, only one at a time by doing this ?

I've seen SD card problems cause those symptoms. In your shoes, here's the path I'd take:

1) remove card, check for obvious dirt/damage on contacts, reinsert (if contacts look good)

2) if problem persists, reformat card

3) if still no go, test with a known good card

4) if you're still toast, it's time for a new cam...with underwater enclosure

Good luck!!

Actually if you look in the back of the newer cell phones they have a round dot in them if it gets wet it changes color and the warrentee is void. I brought one in to my cell rep and thats the first place the factory made him look before he shipped it in for repairs for me.

Art

So my new camera got wet for the first time a couple months ago, it was in the soft case so it just got cold and damp at best. I can turn the power on and take one picture that works perfect and than after that nothing works at all, but I can turn the power off than back on and take another one, only one at a time by doing this ?

Anyone have any ideas or ever had that happen ? I know it's not worth taking it in to get repaired because they charge almost what I payed for it.

It's a Panasonic Lumix if that matters. It only came with a three month warranty and I've had it for 6 so thats out.

3month warranty??? is it a refurb??

G

Should I ask how you managed to lose not 1, but 3 cameras in one summer?!?! :lol:

Stoty.. Come May I spend over 200 consecutive days on and immediately around the water, and then some... not the couch ! And I didn't lose them.. I got them back.. well 2 of them ! :wallbash:

Come May I spend over 200 consecutive days on and immediately around the water,

Wayne, many of us spend the entire summer on or immediately around the water.......but we all don't manage to drop 3 cameras overboard :lol:

Wayne...even the you didn't get back isn't lost...you know exactly where it is.....hehe.

Yes I do Cliff.. yes I do ! How are you at free diving in 35FOW? Maybe I could take you to get my leatherman knife back as well....

..and Lew.. have ya been told today Bud? :dunno::)

Edited by irishfield

I believe that Wayne has unconsciously began a program to test virtually every camera manufacturer's product under water abilities! Give more time, I'm sure he will post a report outlining each camera's ability to survive a plunge into the cool dark waters of the T.

Fortunately, there are no fish in T and therefore, no real requirement for actual photos!

Either that or he's getting clumsier by the day! LOL

HH

No refurb, I bought it off the origional owner with the receipt and had 3 months left on the year warranty, I loved the carera it had a amazing zoom, worked perfect untill it got damp, didn't even get wet just damp, it was in the soft case.

I got an extra card and a extra battery so I'll check all combinations as well, thanks guys.