NF Would you Commute 134 Kms a day

holdfast

Consider this: Take both you and your wife's hourly pay rate and multiply it by the time spent commuting for a month and see what your answer is. Then only you can decide if the commute is worth it by putting a monetary value on your time.

However your commute isn't that far in distance and I don't imagine you would be facing the nightmare of Toronto's rush hour.

Wish I had a perk like this Gerritt:

I have a gas allowance from work...

You lucky dog. :rolleyes:

I've got to agree with solopaddler here on this one.

if where you're living now the property will have more equity come 2 yrs from now then it makes sense to stay provided it is an area you feel happy with. 2 yrs will go by in a blink.

A 40 min drive you wont even notice especially where your located....if you decide otherwise......Done IT!...North SK(including the winter months...lol.)

As a bricklayer...most of my work was in the Vaughan area easily 40min North/West 1 way and I lived in Pickering........ We moved about a year an half go a further 140km East........I still commuted to Vaughan daily....

The drive took me 1 hour an 45 min/1 way each day.........Id leave at 5am daily....and get back home around 7pm.

It changes your lifestyle completely.........

I didnt mind so much as I knew it to be a short lived inconveinience....about 10 months.

Now my home is where ive always wanted to be...on the water.......and I know longer have to go to work.

The time goes by quickly.....It all came down to where we wanted to live come retirement......

i work 70 km from home, but i got flexible hours, so i start early and leave early. like most others said, its not the distance that kills you, its the traffic. i also drive a 98 toyota tercel so i get 650kms on a full tank. i work in a pretty shady area, so the further away from work, the better.

I have to agree.

Too much time on the road, makes an 8 hour day into a 12 hour day.......it sucks.

But if your into that kinda thing........ :whistling::dunno:

Sinker

It's only a 30 minute drive for him (10 minutes more than he drives now), so I dont really think that would be a huge issue. His wife goes from 5 minutes to 40....an inconveniece, but not huge. Like solopaddler said though, 2 years on a mortgage isn't a long time, however, if where you are moving housing is cheaper, then it's conceivable that any mortgage you get would be pretty insignificant.

Like the others have said, there's a lot of factors in making that decision. For the last 5 years I have been commuting at least 300km/day, the last three have been 370km/day until almost 2 months ago when I went back to 300km. For me the trade off is worth it...and that's all that matters. You have to make the decision based on what's important to you and your family and go from there...oh, you also have to like to drive :P

Maureen

I would have to say go for it. If you can save that much a month the cost of the gas does not compare to what you will save per month. Also if it is a place you really would like to move to and suits all your needs and wants, then do it.

I wish I could just travel 134km a day, I travel 300km+ per day and it sucks over 4hrs on the road and I have been doing this for a year and a half so far. Just like others have said on here I couldn't afford to be close to work, and I will not rent. So had to get me a house in the sticks, but I can be :Gonefishing: on a lake in 2 min, which makes it ok.

Good luck on your decision either way.

NEVER i used to go from guelph to cambridge when i was at union gas and i hated it, it was only like 20kms that took 35min one way sucked,sucked,sucked...then jump in a service truck and drive around the city traffic all day...sucked ...now i leave the house at 0700 and iam at work at 0701 finish at 330 and walk thru the door at 331! home based office the only way to go..good luck

I drove 28.5 miles one way to one job and when they closed 25 miles one way to another, only 10 for my wife each way. I was a truck driver, the drive didn`t bother me, and being out of the city and close in burbs was worth it.

Took me about 45 minutes to get to work, the wife 15, we knew what we were getting into with the driving before we moved out here to the country. To get most items besides the bare necessities we have to go into town 10 miles away.

The only thing I regret is building a multi-level home instead of a one level like a ranch, I wasn`t sick at the time and never thought I would live long enough to worry about climbing stairs. They are an issue now.

I'd say go for it too. You will lose going to work but save on the house and travels for leisure.

I'd think about 160km a day would be my max. My wife and I will be looking for a home and work in the south come next spring. Because we have the same skills and both do shift work in our profession we'll likely look to job-share a single full-time position at first to make the transition easier. That way she'll average 2 days a week of work and myself the same (picking up other work on a casual basis as well) so commuting won't really seem all that much a hassle. I used to enjoy Perth to Ottawa, gave a chance for breakfast on the road.

I know you said children are not a consideration, but if you do plan to have a family in the future, the less you commute, the more time you spend with them.

I used to commute only about 50 kms each way, but to do that from Miss to dvp/lawrence was painful and could take anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes in good weather and worse in the snow. Much shorter commute now and I see and play my daughter a lot more. There's nothing I would trade for that...

Just something to consider and with the western boom, I think the comment about considering the equity of the two properties now versus 2 years from now is a good point. Maybe (most likely) your current house will gain in equity faster than one in a more remote region.

Charles

I sold my house in To for about the same reason . Bought a bigger house for half the price 1 hour away . The one hour turned into 1 and a half most days and 2-3 hours in the winter . Had 5 Fender benders in the year and a half I tried to do this , the drive just wore me out the STRESS was HUGE ,road rage was killing me , moved back (paid now even more than triple what the country house cost ) now the 15 minute street car ride is all I have to deal with at the end of my work day,I get home happy and ready to take my grand daughter for a walk along the boardwalk , play in the park etc. etc. not just a quick good night kiss and poppie will try to take you to the park on the weekend if we get time . TIME means alot to me now and I will not be wasteing any sitting in traffic wishing I was home . I will never think about commuteing again . Something wrong when at the end of the month I would have spent more time driveing in my car than being with my wife and kids . More to life than saveing some money

The below is my general analysis of commuting (albeit from a Toronto perspective) which may be helpful...

Commute from Newmarket to Toronto - 60km each way - 120km per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks/year = 30,000km / Average Car - 10l/100km = 3,000 l of fuel per year x $1 litre avg. fuel price = $3,000

Commute Toronto to Toronto - 15km each way - 30km per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks/year = 7,500km / Average Car - 10l/100km = 750 l of fuel per year x $1 litre avg. fuel price = $750

NET FUEL SAVINGS: $2,250 per year or $187.50 per month

Add a dual income/commuting family and now your savings for living within 15km of work is now $375 per month.

This is fuel alone. Don't forget tires / 407 charges / oil changes / etc. and if you commute, you need to replace your cars more often, with newer more reliable cars.

$375 per month will make the payment on about $150k in mortgage. So instead of paying $350k to live in Newmarket you can now afford $500k to live in Toronto (or more specifically closer to work). Add up the other expenses, and you can buy an even more expensive house. Move down to a one car family, and now you really have a lotta of extra dough around.

Now about the Time:

Newmarket to Toronto - 1 hour commute x 2 per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks in a year = 500 hours

Intown Commute - 20 min commute x 2 per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks in a year = 167 hours

NET TIME SAVINGS: 333 hours / Avg. Work Week 37.5 hours = 9 "work weeks" per year commuting.

Now imagine you spent those extra NINE weeks working on a side business, putting more hours on the job, studying something or spending time with family. From a simple financial perspective, imagine how much income you could generate with all that extra time. Its NINE WEEKS of extra earning potential EVERY YEAR.

If you do the math, the suburbs and outlying towns only make sense from a financial perspective if you do not commute. Once you start getting into one hour plus daily commutes, as far as I can tell it costs the average person MORE money not less, even with TO real estate prices factored in.

Obviously there are a zillion factors to consider and everyone has different needs, I am simply pointing out that the financial benefits of suburban living and long commutes may not be as positive as they appear on the surface, in fact a lot of the times, its quite the opposite.

the thing you mentioned about Mortgage free and closer to your cottage would make me jump all over that. After a week you wouldn't notice the travel. You will save huge money just having no Mortgage.

plus you will be able to hit the cottage more often.

JerseyDog has done a great financial analysis but for me it really breaks down to this.

5 days of extra commuting time to save on one weekend trip = not worth it.

Just my opinion and coming from someone who has seen his daily commute go from 35 minutes to over 1 hour during the last 10 years - with NO CHANGE in commuting distance or location.

You grow to HATE traffic and driving.

a lot of people travel greater distance one way to get to work ... i worked at the airport during one of my co-op terms and i know someone who came from the port hope area ... that's 2 hours one way and going through the crazy 401 during rush hour as well.

IMO having to go through all the traffic jams is the worst ...

The below is my general analysis of commuting (albeit from a Toronto perspective) which may be helpful...

Commute from Newmarket to Toronto - 60km each way - 120km per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks/year = 30,000km / Average Car - 10l/100km = 3,000 l of fuel per year x $1 litre avg. fuel price = $3,000

Commute Toronto to Toronto - 15km each way - 30km per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks/year = 7,500km / Average Car - 10l/100km = 750 l of fuel per year x $1 litre avg. fuel price = $750

NET FUEL SAVINGS: $2,250 per year or $187.50 per month

Add a dual income/commuting family and now your savings for living within 15km of work is now $375 per month.

This is fuel alone. Don't forget tires / 407 charges / oil changes / etc. and if you commute, you need to replace your cars more often, with newer more reliable cars.

$375 per month will make the payment on about $150k in mortgage. So instead of paying $350k to live in Newmarket you can now afford $500k to live in Toronto (or more specifically closer to work). Add up the other expenses, and you can buy an even more expensive house. Move down to a one car family, and now you really have a lotta of extra dough around.

Now about the Time:

Newmarket to Toronto - 1 hour commute x 2 per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks in a year = 500 hours

Intown Commute - 20 min commute x 2 per day x 5 days/week x 50 weeks in a year = 167 hours

NET TIME SAVINGS: 333 hours / Avg. Work Week 37.5 hours = 9 "work weeks" per year commuting.

Now imagine you spent those extra NINE weeks working on a side business, putting more hours on the job, studying something or spending time with family. From a simple financial perspective, imagine how much income you could generate with all that extra time. Its NINE WEEKS of extra earning potential EVERY YEAR.

If you do the math, the suburbs and outlying towns only make sense from a financial perspective if you do not commute. Once you start getting into one hour plus daily commutes, as far as I can tell it costs the average person MORE money not less, even with TO real estate prices factored in.

Obviously there are a zillion factors to consider and everyone has different needs, I am simply pointing out that the financial benefits of suburban living and long commutes may not be as positive as they appear on the surface, in fact a lot of the times, its quite the opposite.

Jersey Dog you make an excellent case with your figures. In my case gas would be higher. 118 now and threatening to go higher. I truly don't mind the trip as my job is an 8 hour job and for 3 years I traveled 25 minutes to Wainwright and I think it was about the same from Wasaga to Borden. My only Road Rage was in the summer entering Wasaga with all the out of town Idiots acting like they own the place. But for 40 minute drive to the oil patch I HATED IT. Mostly because it seemed I left in the Dark and came home in the Dark. My big reason for possibly the move is, I'm so close to fishing, I may get a better house for cheaper which could possibly put me mortgage free. I'm 49, so I still have to work, but all I need is a job that is just above minimum to put me in the same lifestyle as I previously had when I was in the Military thanks to my non Indexed pension. So I'm not really stuck for a high paying job. Kids are just about grown up, so they're not an issue and no doubt they will be all over the place as I have one in Calgary. But I really appreciate listening to both sides of the story. One last note, I would be taking advantage of the value of my house as it doubled in two years, but there is absolutely no advantage to moving within the city as everything has gone up (ITS an Alberta Type Boom) but there may be a small advantage to moving outside and unfortunately, the best is 67 kms as everywhere else, its close to an oil patch. This town Borders the Boreal forest so south is prairie, and North is forest.

You have to do what you feel is best.... Two years isn't that long though as it will probably take you 2 to 3 months to sell, buy and move. What I would really think about is if your house has already doubled in value in a couple years how much will it be worth in another two years? What will the value of the other house do in the same time. Saving even two grand a month with no mortgage for two years will seem like a very poor bargain if the house you are in doubles again in the next two years and the other one stays at the same value?

Seem like you have a very good if complex situation though, escalating house values while most of the continent is seeing house values drop or stay stagnant.

I would like to know where your getting a mortgage of $150K for $375 per month.....might need to change to that company...LOL. Cause my mortgage is less than that and almost double monthly.....LOL

Was thinking the same thing!

Did a 150KM round trip commute from Oshawa to West end of Toronto for over 2 years. Actually enjoyed the 45-60 minute run each way. Gave me time to think/plan/relax. Basically it comes down to who you are. You either have a commuter's mindset or you don't. It's not about money it's about what works best for you. Good luck making a decision.

I've done a one hour commute before, and it was not so good, there was no upper limit to how long the trip might take. Currently, I do 23 kms to work in 18 minutes, give or take 3 minutes, most of the time.

I much prefer the 18 minute deal.

As well, I can still be at Massey Hall in 20 minutes, I like that.