Finally did it...

Gerritt

While I am against this exam for my own personal reasons.... I decided to take it today...

34 out of 36.... go figure...

Will they inform me on the questions I got incorrect? so I can learn from my mistakes?

I am assuming it was the questions where you have to give multiple answers...

Anyways I am legal... and the Government can kiss my rosey red PICKERAL

G

i dont think its a cash grab at all. I personally did the test a few years ago and learned alot.

I think for any younger person such as teenagers i think this is a great thing. Especially with all the personal water craft out there now.

If it was a cash grab it would have to be renewed every year.

Cheers!

Don't bug me trolling... bug the guy doing 100kms on the sea-doo riding the wake of other boaters... inconvenience everyone for the sake of a few idiots...

Cash Grab is right... Most fishermen are an honest crowd...

Target the idiots that are the problem... dont paint all boaters with such a wide brush... Hell my FIL has to take it after 40+ years of safe boating... is this really what this exam was supposed to target?

it is Bull... plain and simple...

But being the lawful sort I am... I have NO CHOICE but to comply.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Passing exams always feels good. Congrats Gerrit!

CASH GRAB! ;) It is worth it though if It saves one life I s'pose

I agree, the program could be much more effective (needs to tighten up on cheating) but it does still has a positive effect.

forrest

I did my test at the boat show a couple of years ago, I also wanted to know which ones I had wrong but they wouldn't show me but gave me a couple of hints and I think I know where my errors were. I think they should mail the results with the correct answers so people can learn something from the exam. congrats on passing the exam

Guest skeeter99

how much did you pay?

everyone should have done it the first year it was introduced instead of waiting cause like everything in life the price always goes up, it costed me only $15, so the cash grab was less

after the test the instructor went over the one question I got wrong

How do you don a life jacket

it was multiple choice 4 answers (I got it wrong cause they were looking for the correct sequence to put on a life jacket) LOL!!!

well there is hardly even a need to cheat... I mean when you can write it at home on your computer with the book or at a show where you write till you pass, or if they give you the test and the handbook... Maybe if people actually had to know the stuff it would help...

Any outfit that won't tell you what you got wrong is hardly legit.

They did recently change the rules for testing, at home on the computer is gone, you can't write in your own home, write till you pass or pay if you pass never was legit.

$20 to test, register you and make up a card isn't that unreasonable, but a lot of outfits didn't keep records so make a copy of your card. If you got it at a trade show consider that the price of floorspace at the show will drive costs up. Only 20 people wrote at the Toronto boat show with CPS.

All $ goes to the testing org.

I decided $20 bucks was reasonable because , well , uhh , well ,uhh thats what I charged.

I went the online route last year, through http://www.theanglersoperatorcard.ca. Forget what I paid back then, and can't remember for sure whether or not they specified which 1 question I missed - it wasn't a big deal. They're still doing the online test thing, far as I can see.

The temporary "print it when you pass" card was of course paper, but they do send you 2 nice plastic cards in the mail. These cards don't have the nifty silhouette shown in the site pics (darn) but the background blue graphic is about the same. Better looking than the turkeys on my outdoors card, and the print is standing up well so far.

I think we should make everyone pass the test before they can rent a houseboat. Ownership of a friggate-sized Scarab on any lake less than 50 miles long should require yearly re-testing. :devil:

Last year, Jeff and I got a 20 minute floor show when some of those houseboat rental idiots decided to tie up to a marker buoy, came in too hard, and wound up parked on top of it. Yes, literally on TOP of it. Not once, but twice! What I wouldn't have given to have a better mic on my digicam that day...you should've heard the buoy knocking around that boat's floor! :clapping::lol:

Actually you can still do it online at home. However, you need a non-family member to register as a supervisor. It's still $50 to get it and when you're done you can review all the wrong answer's.

I did my test at work, one of our directors is an angler and he watched over me while I did the exam. After, we both went over the questions I got wrong. And I still get mixed up about what navigation lights are to go on what size boat! :blink:

Got my card in a week or so, felt good to get it. Made me remember the day I got my driver's license.

If this helps to prevent serious injury or death, its well worth it. This is just like you getting your driver's license. You had to take a written test and a road test, and pay for both. So i would say that is more of cash grab then getting the operators card.

But that's my opinion!

Sorry, forgot to say congrats to you Gerritts!

Edited by marcers75

congrats had mine for a long time now back in 2000 when I wrote the test my buddy sat beside me copied me check for check and we both walked away with our cards,now my Boss is telling me we need Commercial versions to drive the work boats ahhhh where to put all the paperwork

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

I agree with the testing to a certain degree.

When I was 14 I was swimming about 50' from shore. I was standing on a shoal in about 5 1/2' of water, my head and the tops of my shoulders were out of the water. A boat came around and circled in front of the provincial park where I was swimming. I noticed his course and started to move in towards shore. Well low and behold he turned and headed right for me. He was watching the beach behind him and wasnt looking forward at all. It was a 16' fibreglass trihaul with a 60 johnson on the back. I didnt have time to get out of his path as where he turned was very close to where i was. When he was on top of me I pushed off as hard as i could basically just smacking the underside of the bow. My upper body pushed off to the side and my legs kicked up. His skag took a chunk of my shin (just the skin) and nicked my shin bone. I had a hole in my leg about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide. my bone was completely exposed. I had to swim back to shore and walk to a campsite with blood pouring from my leg. I am ever greatful to the couple that helped me, kept me calm and called for help. Supposedly I was in shock but I can recall the whole event from start to leaving Parry Sound hospital that night.

Point of my story is, it was a 13 year old with a 12 year old in the boat and they LEFT. They didnt stop to see if I was alright, even though my sister was screaming and people at the beach saw it happen. They left cus they were scared.

I am so lucky I did not loose my leg and no major damage was done. Just a lot of stitches and a lot of pain. It was really scary.

I hope that ALL young kids/teenagers do learn something from this course. Not as much for adults even though there are a lot of irresponsible ones out there, I hope something like my situation that has happened doesnt have to happen to anyone else. It was such a scary day.

Sorry this is so long, but its hard to explain without all the details.

Edited by MuskyMike

AS of Jan 7 2008

REGARDLESS OF THE TEST FORMAT, NO TEST CAN BE ADMINISTERED IN THE CANDIDATE’S PRIVATE RESIDENCE.

The test site must be owned, leased, occupies, or otherwise controlled by the course provider but that is in no way under the control of a candidate taking a test.

There must be no consumption of alcoholic beverages at the test site.

All candidates must verify that they have not written a test within the last 24 hours.

There is some stuff on ID's and a whole bunch of other stuff but you get the picture.

As far as we could figure it out , to write the test on a computer you must be in a classroom or where the test provider has control.

Writing at home googling the answer in another window under the supervision of a goldfish is over.

I'm not saying everybody cheated the online test but a lot did.

To my knowledge, you can write the test from home. The Supervisor must be a "Professional" though (doctor, engineer etc...) and you can do whatever it takes to pass it.

Have not heard different and the guys from Boatexam.com said the same.....odd, I wonder now

I took it in a group of about 20 friends in my buddies backyard. it was a breeze. I did the same for my FAC.

Transport Ca. test protocols as of Jan forbid testing in the home of the writer.

IT looks like trans ca. isn't enforcing the new rules any better than they did the old rules, writing online has been questionable from the start. Or maybe they're telling us one thing and others something else.

I used to test anywhere too, some of the new protocols are going to be tough, like isolating a test area at a trade show so that the writer can see no other activity other than out a window.

I wrote & passed mine at the London Boating, Outdoors & Leisure Show about a month ago. I got 49 out of 50. I paid $30 at the CPS testing booth. There was also two booths offering write till you pass or free there. One was charging $50. I was told the extra 14 questions were so the card would also meet US standards & requirements. Study the "Safe Boating Guide" before writing the test and you should have no problems.

Best Wishes: Rick

Whether it's a cash grab or not, anyone who actually fails that test should not be allowed out of their house without supervision. That might be a little harsh but it's how I feel. Sorry.

I paid $35.00.... www.theoperatorcard.ca and Here is how it worked...

I register, and choose someone to administer the test to me (it can be a person of your own choosing). You have to supply an email address for the person administering the test.

The then receive an email containing a link, in which they have to fill out a questionnaire.

After which they are emailed the test. the work sheet, and the rules.

You take the test, The administrator transfers your answers onto the work sheet.

The administrator then enters in your answers via a link contained in the email he received.

You have your score then and there.

A pass is 27 out of 36 (Too low in my opinion)

You are able to choose the venue in which you take the test... so long as it is not in your own home... That said it could be very easy to buck the system by simplly using a Hotmail account.. However I did it the Honest way,

I hope this clears up any confusion.

G

Edited by Gerritt