Junk.... Pure Junk...

Gerritt

Wont someone please think of the fathers, Husbands and Sons!!

First Mr. and Mrs. Everyone...

Now they are scrapping the Canadian Tire Catalogue! Please say it is not so!!!

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/st...ry/robNews/home

Now before you screen how green it is etc etc etc.... the catalogue can be recycled... the power required to read the online version cannot...

Besides... who wants to scroll through a 200 page PDF!!!

Not me...

Canadian Tire... this is a bad business decision. I look forward to the catalogue two times a year!

G

Lot's of people loved it Gerritt...and the decision to do this wasn't taken lightly. I wasn't directly involved, however, if it was just going to be a PDF online, that wasn't going to be acceptable. The online version allows you to choose a section and scroll thru it like a catalogue right on the site...not like the Lebarons site where you have to actually download every page spread.

I got an update today from work saying that the online catalogue is getting overwhelming support from not just the media, but from a lot of customers. I believe the idea was piloted in a control area last year, and the decision to go nation wide was made as a result of that test.

I personally liked the catalogue..and will miss it as well...I've even made cameo appearances in it a few years back....LOL.

Retailers all across Canada are reducing their print advertising...Canadian Tire decided to take a lead....right or wrong.

I used to browse through the catalogues probably 20-30 times... picking out items I was interested in... I know I wont be doing that online... I like to have a hard copy in my hand... Call me old fashioned I guess...

Thanks for the info Cliff.... But I am sure you can understand why I see this as just another cost cutting measure intended to pump up their bottom line.. have to appease those holding shares.. namely the franchisees... are any CT store corporate anymore?

G

Edited by Gerritt

I used to browse through the catalogues probably 20-30 times... picking out items I was interested in... I know I wont be doing that online... I like to have a hard copy in my hand... Call me old fashioned I guess...

Thanks for the info Cliff.... But I am sure you can understand why I see this as just another cost cutting measure intended to pump up their bottom line.. have to appease those holding shares.. namely the franchisees... are any CT store corporate anymore?

G

Hey G....

There are no corporate stores...haven't had any as far as I know. I wont lie, cost was a huge factor...business is business. I'm a catalogue browser as well...more convenient than online viewing any day of the week. I'm just a peon though....LOL.

<_< This is not good.How does one spend his quiet time out in the old cabin or back house than flipping through the old Canadian Tire catalogue .Doesn't matter how old or wheather the season is winter or summer it passes the time . Great decisions are made in the solitude of of these pages.Can't take a computer with one to the lake. :asshat:

While I only leaf through them when I get them, I do not like that they are discontinuing producing them. Lots of people still do not have internet, or care to have it, or even own computers. I know 8 people personally that do not own one. They just do not need one.

But, other than leafing through it when I receive it, I almost exclusively use the website. I occasionally have difficulty finding an item in searches, but it usually does not take me too long to find out which section the item is under.

Wow lets bring back the rotary dial phone, teletypes, and morse code communication only on ships.... What is this 1950 again?

Sorry but I was never a fan of the catalogue and the waste of paper not to mention the higher prices CT and other retailers have to charge because of printing them. Half the time you saw something in the catalogue and when you went to the store it wasn't available or didn't look anything like the picture in the catalogue.

Wow lets bring back the rotary dial phone, teletypes, and morse code communication only on ships.... What is this 1950 again?

Sorry but I was never a fan of the catalogue and the waste of paper not to mention the higher prices CT and other retailers have to charge because of printing them. Half the time you saw something in the catalogue and when you went to the store it wasn't available or didn't look anything like the picture in the catalogue.

Well maybe it is old school to you but many of us do like to use catologues.My kids enjoy the sears wishbook each year and they were not born in 1950.

I have been earning my living for 21 years in the printing industrie.

Today I earn my living selling supplies to printing companies.Many think greener is the way to go without thinking of the economic

spinoff that comes with cutting out printing to accomedate the envirement.Paper can be recycled

I won't suffer from the changes in the world as my company has also invested into the digital world.

Printing has been reduced but will not die.

Countless times I have gone to CDN tire looking for an item that was on special in the PRINTED weekly flyer.

How convienient just show the clerk the printed picture of the item I am looking for no problem.Get pointed in the right direction.

what is next should we all go to CDN tire with our lap topsl.

They tried the digital books too what a flop.If you think the printing cost is making you pay more for goods think again.it gets ppl into the store.

My favorite flyer each week that comes to my door is CDN tire flyer.Printed that is.The one I get by email is not that great

and not all is there at your instant finger tips .

Yup ppl want to cut out plastic bags and go paperless so thats ok get rid of it and cut peoples jobs buy more computers made overseas.

Don't think you will see alot of older seniors looking online.Not to mention those without computers .Or rural areas without highspeed internet.

Happy to see sears will continue the tradition.

If CTC cuts the weekly flyer well I think it will be a negative impact.

Anyway just my 2 cents people have a quick opinion without thinking how it affects others.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Well said Mike... people are already complaining about the toxic chemicals that computers are leaching into the environment once we trash them...

With print media it can be recycled.. The people in the rural areas are out of luck, The people without computer access are out of luck and to be honest we are losing a piece of Canadana

Sure change happens.. and we adapt... but this plain sucks LOL

G

Well, I for one will also miss the yearly catalogue as it is at the top of the rack in the "powder room". It has also worked quite effectively as a means of ignoring the insanity that surrounds me! IE;

"Honey can you help with the kids?"

"Can't honey, I'm doing "due dilligence" with the Crappy Tire book, lookin for something"

I'm gonna have to get BPS and Cabela's on the phone and get them to send me all their catalogues, or the power room is gonna be a more tragic place to spend time!

HH