Silver Lake - Maberly - Ice Report

irishfield

So I had to get my daughter back to Carleton in Ottawa for 11:30 am on Monday.. so we left at 5am. Got her there with a few minutes to spare and then headed for my Mother's/Step Father's place between Carleton Place and Smiths Falls. The day before, Sunday, Cranksbait had been nice enough to drop off a 2 man Frabil Ice shelter that he'd picked up at CTC for any wanting OFC'r. I decided what the hell... one ear lobe is enough to lose in a life time...so I'm trading in the sled seat for a shelter on those COLD days and bought it from Scott. He went out of his way to drop it off for me at my mother's. I loaded it into my truck when I arrived and then spent the night fixing up some stuff around the house and barn for the folks and was on my way for home Tuesday by 9:30am

Anyhow.... I decided before we left for Ottawa that I've driven past a certain lake on Hwy #7 probably close to a thousand times in my lifetime... and for the last 20+ years have often wondered what fish it held. I printed a lake map for free off of The Anglers Atlas website, loaded up my shiney new ice auger I got in the CTC 50% off sale, my tobogan and fishing gear.

While going thru Perth... I'm sure Moosebunk recognizes the establishment, lol..... I noticed the MNR trucks all parked there as well.... so since Lakers are closed in Zone 18 I accelerated down the highway before they got to work! :whistling:

silverlakemar2008001.jpg

I arrived at the Zone 18 Lake and was very surprised to see that the MTO is actually plowing the picnic area parking lot. I was thinking I'd have to leave my truck on the road... but this was great.

silverlakemar2008002.jpg

I unloaded my gear.. got it all strapped down to the tobogan and headed out beyond the single island of the lake and got down to drilling some holes. Sure glad I had that power auger or I would have stopped at two holes. I almost ran out of auger.... ice was 33 inches thick ! Instead I probably drilled a dozen or more as I moved around and finally tucked in out of the wicked wind behind the island. Thought I might get into some Pike in close to the island as the map showed it was only 6 to 12 feet.. but I drilled about 30 feet out from the island and was in 42 to 60 FOW again so stayed trying to nail some lakers for supper.

silverlakemar2008003.jpg

silverlakemar2008004.jpg

After I had been fishing a short while, in about 62FOW, I had a huge school of bait swim thru and some fish feeding in them.. but couldn't entice a bite. Had a tip up with a dead 4" shinner on it in one hole and jigged various baits in others. At least I saw some activity in the lake, so I know they are there and will try this again on my winter travels thru there.

silverlakemar2008005.jpg

silverlakemar2008006.jpg

silverlakemar2008007.jpg

silverlakemar2008008.jpg

I always thought I was seeing a for sale sign on the island.. but turns out it's part of the Christian Camps property and they tent out there as a retreat.

silverlakemar2008009.jpg

After about 3 hours of fishing I decided it was time to pack things up. Sun was gone..clouds were in.. wind was howling and I could see the storm coming.

silverlakemar2008010.jpg

Got the truck loaded back up and right after this picture I was taking my float suit off and that truck door blew shut and smacked me in the right temple.

silverlakemar2008011.jpg

Once I picked my self up off the ground and did the eye movement test in the truck mirror.. following my own finger.... I headed off West on #7 into the drive of the year.

So there's some more scenery shots from me.. reminicent of posts gone by... but next time maybe I'll figure them out on this lake as well.

Like I said.. get out there... the lakes are still MAKING ice. Lots of areas, like this lake, with a year round Lake Trout season. Places that Whitefish are still open and pike to March 31st. Might as well make the best of it instead of sitting on here with Cabin fever posting rants. :unsure:

Glad to see you still gave it a crack. Beautiful area up around there, I used to go every weekend almost to some buddies place in Maberly. If working in Perth in the future I'd maybe build or buy out that way.

Like I said Wayne, it's rumoured to be a tough fish. Driving by it that many times though I'm surprised you're only stopping in there just now. You'll bag one for your efforts next time I bet.

I don't recognize that spot in Perth. Likely cause I was a good kid and never around that neighbourhood... much. lol.

Hey Wayne.....atleast you got out and had some fresh air.

How did the auger work for ya? I picked up the same auger at CTC....not going to use it until next year. Curious to see if the 2HP was enough to punch through 33 inches of ice with ease.

Jason

Great report Wayne. I spent some time there this fall, brought my boat up to see my wife....she was in Sharbot Lake mediating...took my boat out on Silver Lake and fished the west side of Sharbot....

Absolutely gorgeous area in the summer. We're heading back this summer with fam.

Hey Wayne.....atleast you got out and had some fresh air.

How did the auger work for ya? I picked up the same auger at CTC....not going to use it until next year. Curious to see if the 2HP was enough to punch through 33 inches of ice with ease.

Jason

Auger zipped right thru it effortlessly Jason ! And the nice thing is the 2 HP is pretty light.. so didn't bother my buggered up back too much on the plunge thru and pull out.

Silver Lake Provincial Park is on one side and restaurant/gas bar on the other. Not sure if the gas bar was open or not. Just West of the PPark there is a picnic area on the bend...with a boat launch I might add. This is where I walked out from.

33 inches of ice? What the heck am I sitting in front of a computer for ... I need to get out there! Great report, too bad about the success. Your trip today sounds like my entire winter season, so it's a good day in that respect. Great weather to be outside, and you can't really beat that.

Hey Wayne - I was through there last summer picking up my Islander boat and couldn't pass by it - It was just as impressive and inviting in the summer. I'll have to try and make it up there next year to give it a try on the ice.

Don

Got the truck loaded back up and right after this picture I was taking my float suit off and that truck door blew shut and smacked me in the right temple.

silverlakemar2008011.jpg

Once I picked my self up off the ground and did the eye movement test in the truck mirror.. following my own finger.... I headed off West on #7 into the drive of the year.

Enjoyed your report....but this part had me in stitches...I've had this problem for years, where I just find humour in stuff that happens to people .:blink: ..anyway wanted to thank you also for pointing out the exact location of Silver Lake Provincial Park.