What would you do????

bucktail

After all the debate about fishing pictures and the limitations of self photography it reminded me of something that happened 4 years ago.

I was staying for a week in Gbay and doing some Muskie fishing,

I found a primo spot and was waiting for the wweather to turn to see if it would produce. On the Wednesday of the week the weather set pefect with hazy humid weather and a big cold front coming in.

My second cast on the spot with a Jackpot resulted in a muskie hitting with about 8 feet of line out in the clear water.

I got a perfect look at him as he powered straight under the boat before he simply released the bait.

This fish was twice the size of my largest fish and I couldnt really estimate it since it was so far out of anything I had seen before.

I settled for 50-55 lbs.

Here comes the question.... as I was sitting there shaking like a leaf I realized there would have been no way to get a good picture of the fish without keeping it.

I didnt want to kill the fish but what if it had been more then 60??? your by yourself and cant get a good picture.

I have thouoght about it amny times and decided I would release the fish but leave it in the net reviving as long as i could hoping someone came by that could take the picture. That or quickly place it in the bottom of the boat for a quick photo ( not the greatest since you be doing more harm then good.

Just wondering what you would do.

BTW the very next cast after I settled down I caught a 14 pounder! It looked like a twig!

Good post, bucktail....

This tripod comes in my boat every outing:

July2405.jpg

If conditions are calm, I will keep it in this position (with the camera attached) while fishing. 99% of my fishing is for bass, so if I get a fish I want a shot of, it's a simple matter of hitting the self-timer button and "gripping-and-grinning." Good idea to purchase a tripod that is of the sturdy variety..

If it is a decent fish, or if I want to take a shot of two fish - in they go to the livewell until I've set the shot up right. Once done, it's a simple matter of grabbing both fish (or the one trophy) and hitting the self-timer button again.

July2401.jpg

Bass08-1.jpg

Bass07.jpg

Sept171.jpg

If fishing for musky or pike, this set up would also work well. Just keep the fish in a large holding net at the side of the boat, hit the self-timer and lift the fish into the boat. Really that simple...I believe Lew uses a similar set up when hunting 'skies.

I always like to take a "sample" shot at the start of the day, just to make sure my zoom is correct:

July2406.jpg

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

I agree with Justin. Get a tripod. Its not worth killing the fish just for a picture. Especially a Musky of that size. I wish they were release only, but thats only me. Even prop up your camera and put it on auto timer. Keep it in the water and when you are ready then take the pic.

Justin, I like to call 'those' days', "Sample" days too. But I am not proud enough to take a picture :lol: Yes...checking the zoom ;)

I always have my camera ready before I take the fish out of the water. When fishing alone I get the camera into position first, with the timer on for 10 seconds, more then enough time to get the fish out usually. The timer is KEY.

Here are a couple I took with no photographer. The camera was balanced on a rock on shore while I went in the water.

smalltarpon.jpg

and this one was well over 50 pounds, so it CAN be done by yourself! (its not my best photo, but its better then nothing!

bigtarpon.jpg

The camera went off before I was ready in this one...

clivetarpon04.jpg

Edited by mepps

You know if you continue to bring the guy with you (me) who took the picture of the pike in your hands you won't have this problem. Seems the only time you may have this problem is when I am putting you on the spots.

All those great things you have to say about Lund and no options available. What if you had a seat post made for the front that when the seat was removed the camera mount could be placed in the hole. I may have an old tripod stand kicking around, I would imagine over a couple of pops we could figure something out.

You gotta set up a camera pod (usually to fit in the front seat hole like LEW showed me a while back on here) or set it on the bow and kneel down with the fish and set the camera timer, practice at the dock a few times to know exactly where to stand. A friendly boater would be better if one did come by. I always think of this too because I've been there , considering I musky fish alone 90% of the time on GB.

Set Timer/place camera

Grab fish from water

Quickly get in the spot

Back in water

All while shaking and more excited than Christmas day. I hope I get to try it this year with one like that. :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I guess I type a little slow.

Edited by GbayGiant

I'd probably have to take a couple pics with the fish still in the net and let her go. BUt - after the release, make a fast bee-line back to the cabin and give my wife the routine for not going out with me. It's not too often I'm out alone, but I can certain see the need for a tripod ... you just never know. It's not worth causing any more harm or stress on a beautiful creature such as that ... just for some pics.

You can always find tripods for cheap at places like FactoryDirect, so who cares if you have to hack one up to make it mount in the boat.

Some cams are capable of taking shot after shot after shot in a sequence, with one button press. Might be handy if you're worried about a set 10 second interval.

Many cams also come with remote controls. Swatting one with your foot when you're all set up is another option.

If you're worried about making sure you're in the picture, some cameras have swing-out view screens. My Canon Powershot A640 is one of them. It knows what position the screen is in, and automatically rotates the display image to compensate. Nice big screen, you'd definitely know if you got the whole fish (and your head) in the shot.

Edited by TangledLines

For the most part I have always fished with someone, pictures have always been a low priority for me, I stopped having fish mounted in the early 80`s. I have released fish in tournaments if it looked like they weren`t going to survive the livewell.

Just to me it`s nice to be able to say you landed a big fish, but even nicer to free the fighter with the least possible harm. Lost some big ski`s myself on the Georgian bass fishing and actually under prepared for them, saddest part was watching them swim away with a lure stuck in their jaw.

LOL a fish, there will always be another? If I leave the camera at home I got more room for tackle?

Great world of digital, Prior we took the picture then hoped it worked when we got it developed :) ahhh the old days.

I am going to try the tripod this year prior it was set up like Lew has but if the fish was big I was pratically standing on the motor to get all of me in it.

Take the wife, now how she going to take the picture with her head over the side? :dunno:

RAM make some great camera mounts.

The question had to do with a trophy muskie though. I think it would be touch and go for even an expert to do within the 10 second delay.

What if? Instead of using the timer, and hoping you were in position when it went off, you set your camera to 'video mode' and get a quick 30 seconds or so clip lifting the fish up, hold it for a bit, and then back int he water. And then you could probably 'capture' a frame and make a picture from that.

There's some really great self photos and advice here guys. Congrats.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is the importance of focusing your shot. I'm sure that the guys that posted photos on this thread are aware of, and using proper focusing methods, but for those of you that attempt this in the future, here's a little more advice. You can use manual focus and have the focus pre set for the distance that you will be in front of the camera for the shot. Or you can use auto focus, in which case you must do a half press on your shutter button on your camera to achieve focus. But be sure that the lens is aiming at something that is the same distance away from the camera as you will be when you jump in front for the shot. I see a tripod in the back of a boat that could possibly be pointed to the horizon, which will result in a blurry shot once you jump 5 feet in front of the camera if using auto focus. If you're going to be 5 feet from the camera when the shutter activates, you'll want the camera aimed at something 5 feet from it when you do your half press. Once you half press, you can move the camera to any position and as long as you hold down the half press, focus will remain locked. From there you can continue on to your full press to start the timer. Simple as that. Just a little something that I thought was overlooked here.

Good advice, Dan....something that I forgot to mention.

No point using a tripod if all of the shots come out blurry... :huh:

Another tidbit is to use fill-in flash on all of your shots. Brightens up the shadows and makes the fish much more vibrant and colourful..

Good Fishing,

Justin

Good post, bucktail....

This tripod comes in my boat every outing:

July2405.jpg

If conditions are calm, I will keep it in this position (with the camera attached) while fishing. 99% of my fishing is for bass, so if I get a fish I want a shot of, it's a simple matter of hitting the self-timer button and "gripping-and-grinning." Good idea to purchase a tripod that is of the sturdy variety..

If it is a decent fish, or if I want to take a shot of two fish - in they go to the livewell until I've set the shot up right. Once done, it's a simple matter of grabbing both fish (or the one trophy) and hitting the self-timer button again.

July2401.jpg

Bass08-1.jpg

Bass07.jpg

Sept171.jpg

If fishing for musky or pike, this set up would also work well. Just keep the fish in a large holding net at the side of the boat, hit the self-timer and lift the fish into the boat. Really that simple...I believe Lew uses a similar set up when hunting 'skies.

I always like to take a "sample" shot at the start of the day, just to make sure my zoom is correct:

July2406.jpg

Good Fishing,

Justin

Not only are these fish awesome, and the pictures fantastic, but the little organizer on the seat is very cool and you might be the best dressed bass fisherman I have ever seen.

Great post.

Thanks for the compliments, Radnine...

The little organizer I picked up about a dozen years ago. I believe it was made by Fish Formula, and holds three bottles of scent, files, pliers, etc. Excellent tool to keep things organized at the front of the boat.

As far as being "the best dressed bass fisherman", well,.....I do my best. ha ha

I do photography for fishing magazines, so looking half decent on the water has become second nature to me...I actually bring various clothes and hats out on the boat with me, just to add variety to my stock photography stuff...

Good Fishing, guys..

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

A pic and then a helluva fish fry!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Seriously though, my front pedestal seat is my tripod. All of my pics are by myself with the self timer function on the camera. It can be a challenge sometimes with the larger fish, but when you get used to doing it... it's not that bad.

Personally, I would make the decision after the hooks were out and the fish was ready to release... can the fish stand a pic or 2... or is we gonna have us a fish fry??? :P

Edited by Greencoachdog