Any suggestions for Garage Heating?

Sherriff

I currently have a radiant propane heater for my garage. Heats great and fast and is not too bad on propane but it makes everything in my garage wet with condensation. Windows, door, fishing tackle :wallbash:

I was thinking of installing a wood stove but they are pricey with the stainless piping and I know my insurance would go up as well. I thought that the dry heat from the wood stove would prevent the condensation and solve the problem.....Plus, having the wood smell would be like being up at a cottage! :clapping:

Does anyone have an ideas as to how to control the condensation?

Thanks

Sherriff

The problem with the heater that you are using is that there is no ventilation for the exhaust fumes. A simple venting fan to the outside should help with the moisture and might be the cheapest way of dealing with it. However you'll loose a lot of your heat.

A buddy of mine had 2 electric heaters, (240 volt I think) rig to a thermostat. Fairly inexpensive for the heaters and he didn't notice a big difference on the electric bill. He had them mounted halfway up the wall and they did keep the place quite warm.

Another option might be a zero clearance propane/natural gas furnace, like the ones they have in the ice bungalows on Nippissing. Just mount to an outside wall and vent directly to the outside. Probably about the same cost as a wood stove and pipe, maybe more depending on the run of the gas line but your insurance may not change saving you money in the long run.

I hope this helps.

Believe it or not but both natural gas and propane have a certain amount of water in them. That heater is the source of the moisture in your garage. That's why most of what comes out of a natural gas furnace vent is steam.

Try going to a dryer source such as electric. I've used two of those little electric plug in type heaters with good success and they don't impact too much on the hydro bill unless you use them a great deal. They usually have termostatic controls on them. Of course if you do any work involving combustible fuel vapours, you want to stay away from any sparks or sources of open flame.

I just used mine in 13F temps outside...was 67F in the garage ( 2 car ) and would have went much higher if I didn't limit the thermostat. This unit is propane with the option for natural gas with an orifice change. Make sure when you put one in that you do it to code. Proper distances off the floor and from the walls must be maintained. I'm not big on wood stoves in garages, especially where cars are kept or a lot of wood dust is in the air. As far as condensation never had a problem. I added the overhead fan in picture 3...makes a big difference in a more even heat.

garagefurnace1.jpg

garagefurnace2.jpg

garagefurnace3.jpg

why not just add a dehumidifier and keep your current Radiant System?.. Radiant heat is by far the best in a garage environment as Propane furnaces can cause flashback (Dust, gas vapours etc) Most professional shops use radiant systems, and the ones that dont would give their left acorn for one.

G

Just make sure when installing that you follow proper code, clearances, venting, fresh air intake, exhaust etc, if you decide on propane or natural gas.

My grandfather uses kerosene and vents it with an old furnace blower i got him off a unit i pulled out at a customers house.and vents it outside.

Edited by Tinman

Thanks for all the info folks.

why not just add a dehumidifier and keep your current Radiant System?.. Radiant heat is by far the best in a garage environment as Propane furnaces can cause flashback (Dust, gas vapours etc) Most professional shops use radiant systems, and the ones that dont would give their left acorn for one.

G

Gerritt, I thought about doing this before but since i only go out to the garage for a couple hours I am not sure the dehumidifier could remove the moisture as quickly as I need it. The worst areas are inside cupboards and areas like that....

Thanks

Sherriff