Family Day-NF

nelly

Nelley.....

Hows it going Bud.......

Hope all is well.

Famil;y Day??????????? a mcGuinty thing.....

Im sure good ole Mayor Miller is for it for his 'OVERWORKED' staff... :asshat:

Why REMEMBERANCE DAY is not a national holiday is a question and thought that has plagued many for many years.......

It is one of the singular most items on my list of what truly P'meO'd ever...

If that isnt a holiday for this country...how can you justify any other......

Think about it.....

What a farce and absolute disgrace.....

Remembrance Day is a stat holiday for Ontario government employees and as far as I know for most municiple employees too, at least I know we have it for the Fire Dept. here in Toronto.

All City of Toronto employees get this new Family Day with the exception of the police.

I heard an interview with some vets and in fact it was a request from them that they do NOT make it a stat holiday. Their thinking was that where do most people learn about our vet's contributions? In school...that's where. If it was a stat holiday, then their single biggest awareness campaign for what they went through is lost. I tend to agree with this thinking...that's where I learned all about the war...the moments of silence are always done at school.

I for one, am glad it's not a stat holiday for those reasons.

brickNblock, everything is fine. I was really busy last year for most part. How's your back and finger, is it back to normal? Good to hear you enjoy your new place. Make sure in the future to put rubber tubes over the hooks before you begin.

Oh Family Day.......Heres my 2 cents on this holiday, It was around election time and some politician decided it would get him some more votes if he added another payed holiday...thus family day. Seems pretty nice? Its really bad for the economy though, employers are paying out more money, stores are closed, tourists come in and theres nothing to do..... long weekends in general result in lower sales for most businesses. Every year "Family Day" takes about $40 million out of Canada's Gross Domestic Product. :blahblah1:

-Ben

We used to have a family day every week....remember.....it was called Sunday!

Yes, Gary, I remember that, we had it too. I was always bummed at first because I couldn't go out with my friends and had to hang with my sister and brothers :wallbash::stretcher:

BUT..... we always went fishing, and those memories I will never forget.

Joey

OK, so I'll throw this into the mix...

How come Q-bec has St Jean Day off and the rest of Canada doesnt???

Just musing on a Sunday afternoon.

For the same reason that Ontario has Family day off and no other province does....because its only a provincial holiday, not federal/national!

I heard an interview with some vets and in fact it was a request from them that they do NOT make it a stat holiday. Their thinking was that where do most people learn about our vet's contributions? In school...that's where. If it was a stat holiday, then their single biggest awareness campaign for what they went through is lost. I tend to agree with this thinking...that's where I learned all about the war...the moments of silence are always done at school.

OK Cliff........

I'll go with you and Lew on that.

It makes perfect sense.

"Remembrance Day is a holiday for federal government employees; for private business, provincial governments, and schools, its status varies by province: in Western Canada and Atlantic Canada, it is a general holiday; in Ontario and Quebec, it is not, although corporations that are federally registered may make the day a full holiday, or instead, designate a provincially-recognized holiday on a different day"

many places opt to take the August 1 civic holiday in lieu.

It seems most would have a warm holiday in the summer as opposed to standing around in the cold to honour our Veterans.

Dan

Every day is a holiday for us retired folks eh Lew?...

My thoughts on Family Day...this day was promised for many years but only materialized this year in Ontario...this year being a leap year means anyone that gets paid monthly or bi-monthy gets to work an extra day for the same wages...so they give you a day-off...big deal...no skin of their :asshat:

In Nfld remembrance day IS a statutory holiday. The part about the single awareness campaign being lost is about the furthest thing that happened when I was growing up there. I left in '95 the same year I graduated. I remember most of the teachers of every subject talking about it to some extent with the class, either through what they've been taught or because they had a family member who fought and served. Whatever the reason, we didn't lose any awareness whatsoever. In fact I think it made me personally more aware. So from MY personal experience where Remembrance Day is a stat holiday....I think it should be made statutory.

Hats off to the vets!

In Nfld remembrance day IS a statutory holiday. The part about the single awareness campaign being lost is about the furthest thing that happened when I was growing up there. I left in '95 the same year I graduated. I remember most of the teachers of every subject talking about it to some extent with the class, either through what they've been taught or because they had a family member who fought and served. Whatever the reason, we didn't lose any awareness whatsoever. In fact I think it made me personally more aware. So from MY personal experience where Remembrance Day is a stat holiday....I think it should be made statutory.

Hats off to the vets!

Glad to hear you relate your experiences! I just know that one year we did have a PA day on Remembrance Day and even though we knew it was Nov 11th, me and half my classmates forgot to observe our moments of silence. I remember feeling badly about it. We used to have WW1 vets come in on the 11th, had them talk about their experiences and had someone playing the trumpet leading into the moments of silence... Seeing those vets standing and saluting the flag in those ceremonies will always stick with me....pretty powerful stuff...our gym was always completely silent in awe of everything.

At least we all agree that their efforts should be recognized...they fought for our freedom, and I'm damn proud to be a Canadian.