Friday/Saturday Scugog Report

Ramble

Here’s the Report

Jeff arrived here in Peterborough Thursday night. After some moose stew that had been cooking in the slow cooker we headed over to the Olde Stone for a pint before coming home, and getting all the gear ready. The next morning we were up at 7am made a couple of sandwiches and headed for the Scugog.

We walked out off of Goreski’s and stopped at the 1st group, of 4 holes we came too. Having never fished this part of the ‘bog we figured it would be a good start. The walking wasn’t too bad. There was some slush, but it was on the verge of hardening up. It just about supported our weight. By 9am we had the still lines up and we were fishing away.

IMGP1378.jpg

It was somewhere around -10 celcius but the day looked like it was going to be a nice one despite the snow in the forecast.

IMGP1376.jpg

At 10:30am we hadn’t seen any action after working our series of holes. So we decided to move to another group of holes we could see. They were about 60-70 meters away. I was walking up to a still line to pack it up, when the flag popped off it’s holder and went down the hole. I grabbed the line and set the hook, the fish didn’t budge, and I felt a strong head shake…MUSKY! I held the line and fish went for a run, I could feel the braided line trying to cut into my hand, so I gave the fish a little more pressure. The line went limp…I had lost the fish. I wasn’t sure what happened exactly. I didn’t think I had broken the line…it was 30 pound braided. When the hook came up it was clear what the problem was.

IMGP1377.jpg

I won’t be buying those jigs again.

I wrapped up that line and we moved to the new set of holes and set the still lines up again. By this time the wind was picking up, but we were dressed for it. We weren’t set up long before another flag went down. I got their 1st and found a very nice large mouth on the end of it. After a picture it was immediately released.

IMGP1382.jpg

Jeff and I were sharing some stories from the lodges we work at during the summer, and I was right in the middle of telling him about the 11 o’clock walleye bite at Kesagami, when he hooked up with a fish. I looked down at my watch…5 minutes too 11am.

1st walleye of the day.

IMGP1381.jpg

IMGP1379.jpg

IMGP1380.jpg

We went back to fishing and chatting.

IMGP1388.jpg

A short while later, Jeff hooked into another fish.

Another nice bass.

IMGP1389.jpg

IMGP1393.jpg

About a half hour later he gets another solid hit, and hooks up with a big bass again.

IMGP1395.jpg

Releasing winter bass always brings a smile to my face. You get them back into the hole and they pause for a minute before taking off. While they are paused the tail sticking out, always makes a good picture.

IMGP1401.jpg

As the afternoon rolled around, we were pretty happy with our holes, and punched a few more with the spud. We kept trying different holes for jigging and for the setlines. We figured out what holes had weeds, and we were able to find some edges by making a few lucky guesses. One of the set lines was sitting in a hole we had punched and at about 3pm the flag had a good wiggle too it so we went over to investigate.

IMGP1407.jpg

We were surprised to find a very nice crappie on the other end.

IMGP1409.jpg

IMGP1414.jpg

It was shaping up to be a good day, so we riigged up the setline again and went back to jigging.

IMGP1405.jpg

IMGP1402.jpg

The evening was coming and walleye were on our mind when a flag dropped. It was my turn to fight a fish. It was another beautiful bass.

IMGP1423.jpg

Another quick release.

IMGP1424.jpg

A short time later and I get a hit on the pause while jigging my yellow Swedish pimple. Another hit, and I get the hook up. A few seconds later and we have another slab for the ice.

IMGP1428.jpg

Shortly after that, Jeff gets another strong hit, and lands yet another scrappy bass.

IMGP1422.jpg

The bite was picking up and we were defiantly in high spirits. 5pm rolled around and it wasn’t long before Jeff’s orange Swedish pimple was getting some more attention.

IMGP1426.jpg

We kept jigging, and then it was my turn.

IMGP1430.jpg

In the next 2 hours the fishing got better.

IMGP1431.jpg

IMGP1432.jpg

IMGP1433.jpg

At 7:30pm we started packing up and left one setline in close to us. We were about to pull it up with the flag dropped and guess what…another ‘eye.

IMGP1434.jpg

That was the last fish of the night for us. We packed up and headed home. We had a great day, and came home with a bath tub full of fish.

IMGP1435.jpg

We ended up with 6 walleye. They measured 17”, 16.5” 16”,15”, 14.5”, and 13.5”. We also had 9 crappie for the table. The biggest was 14” followed by 13”, 12”, 11”, 10” 9.5” 9”, 8.5” and 5”. The 5 incher took a treble in the gills.

Here are the 2 biggest crappie.

IMGP1449.jpg

Here are the walleye.

IMGP1440.jpg

After I was done filleting fish and eating walleye, Jeff made a phone call, and were all set to go again Saturday.

IMGP1459.jpg

IMGP1375.jpg

Saturday was a different sort of day. We got up at 6am after about 5 hours of sleep we made the drive back to the Scugog. There were quite a few people out for the morning bite, and again we were a little late but did manage a crappie.

IMGP1460.jpg

We punched some more holes, and began the ritual of jigging and checking setlines.

IMGP1462.jpg

IMGP1463.jpg

Sometime later I caught another small crappie.

IMGP1470.jpg

We were having a good time and watched the snow clouds blow in. It was pretty windy all day and it was always snowing to some degree.

Sometimes it snowed pretty heavy…

IMGP1471.jpg

And sometimes it was lighter…

IMGP1386.jpg

As the day went on the setlines saw less action than the day before. Jeff hooked up with another bass around noon jigging…you gussed it…his orange pimple.

IMGP1486.jpg

I managed another nice crappie.

IMGP1479.jpg

IMGP1480.jpg

About 1pm the setline nearest me had it’s flag drop, and after a pretty decent fight we had a nice smallmouth come up for a visit.

IMGP1468.jpg

After some more debate as to where the weed edge went, I punched 2 more holes with the spud. One hole was quite a bit shallower then the rest, and yielded a lot of dead weeds. We ended up not fishing that hole much. But the other hole I punched yielded a small smallmouth and crappie in an hour. We had 2 holes 6 feet apart, one with weeds, one without. We finally got it right.

IMGP1464.jpg

We watched the weather and kept fishing.

IMGP1472.jpg

At 10 minutes to 2pm, Jeff’s orange pimple did the trick and we had the day’s 1st walleye on the ice.

IMGP1473-1.jpg

IMGP1474.jpg

The afternoon plodded on and the closer it was to 5pm the higher our hopes became. Of course there was the odd fish to fuel our excitement.

IMGP1477.jpg

IMGP1486.jpg

About 4pm people were coming out in droves setting up all over the place. We met a couple of fellow OFC’ers who had seen my short report from Friday. They set up near us, in some deeper water.

After 5 the bite started and the fishing got exciting. The walleye were biting a lot lighter then they were the night before. We felt a lot of taps, and missed a lot of fish. I tired a small pimple and minnow tail and managed one walleye on it. We found half minnows to be the only option for the light bite, and the tail half worked the best.

That orange pimple just kept producing.

IMGP1492.jpg

By the end of the night we had a nice pile on the ice.

IMGP1493.jpg

We shut the show down at seven, after I pulled a nice eye off a setline. The bite hat noticeably decreasing, and we were both tired, and satisfied.

We stopped by our fellow OFC’ers to see how they were doing. They had a few ‘eyes some nice crappie. Everyone we passed on the way in and a couple of ‘eyes.

Once home it was straight to the kitchen and the fillet knife.

IMGP1495.jpg

We had one 13.5" walleye, 3 within a half inch of 16" and one that was a 1/16th of an inch from 18". The 18 inch walleye had some old war wounds from a BIG musky. When I was filleting her, I found a musky tooth between her ribs! There was some damage to the fillet, but it was still palatable. I checked all the other wounds for teeth but didn’t find any. In our 2 days of fishing this 18" walleye was the only female we caught.

The three biggest crappie of the day were 13.5" 12" and 11.5".

My girlfriend and I are Biology majors, so I asked her if she wanted to have a look at a walleye heart. She had just taken a vertebrate biology course last semester and enjoyed it. After filleting one of the walleye I removed the heart and to my surprise it was STILL beating!! It was incredible. I had broken that fish’s neck about 4 hours before and it had spent that whole time sitting on the ice. We were all amazed.

Here’s the video we took.

Walleye Heart

Overall we had an AMAZING couple of days. We caught 26 crappie. Kept 14. Caught and kept 11 walleye, caught and released about 8 bass and lost one musky.

The majority of walleye came from ONE hole. In total we had 4 holes that produced more then one fish. We punched 10 holes in the 2 days, and fished another 9 that were already drilled. LOCATION is EVERYTHING!

The orange pimple caught the majority of fish. The setlines were also an asset. I also tried a host of other baits, from a small blue/silver cleo, to a plain jig with a minnow. The pimples were the best by far.

Don’t be shy to use big minnows our biggest crappie was caught on a minnow that was about 3-3.5” long (Setline). The crappie preferred the shiners over mudds whereas the walleye didn’t seem to care.

I hope everyone else had a fantastic weekend as well.

Tight lines everyone

-Ramble

Edited by Ramble On

Thanks, for the replies everyone. I'm not sure what we did to deserve a weekend like that, but I hope i do it again. That was some of teh best ice fishing I've ever had. You never knew what you had and we didn't see a Perch the whole time.

I'll never forget that trip lol

-Ramble

I was reading your report and smiling the entire time... wishing it were me!

WOW what a weekend you guys managed to have.

Not only did you catch fish, you had the opportunity to share stories and time with friends on the ice...Sounds like the perfect way to have spent your time.

Great Post... I look forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Jen