Lake Scugog - January 28th Report *with pics*

gone_fishin

I got out of classes today at 1pm from durham college, and drove up to Scugog for another evening of fishing. hoping for a repeat of last night.

Well, i went out to the same holes that i fished last night, broke out the ice that had formed since i had left, and started fishing. the perch fishing was fairly steady through the afternoon hours, and ended up with a couple keepers, one of which was 11". one of the guys i was fishing with had a few of the same size.

as the sun started to go down i knew the walleye and crappie bite would be starting up, so i switched to my jigging rod and proceeded to search through my minnow bucket for the largest minnow available.

started jigging my swedish pimple and large minnow... and i waited... and waited... and waited some more. until finally i hook something. i get it up to the hole, and wouldn't you know it... another dang Largemouth! this one was only about a pound. That is my 7th Largemouth of 2008!

i get the next biggest minnow and proceed the same as before. soon after i get a good bite, and a nice 13" crappie is on the ice. my new PB crappie.

again, biggest minnow i could find, and down the hole you go. jigging for a few minutes, BAM. now i've got a 14" crappie on the ice. a new PB crappie, again... the previous PB didn't stand for very long, did it? it's kinda like in an Olympic race and 2 runners beat the world record, but only one of them wins the race. hahaha.

anyways, i ended up with probably a dozen perch, about the same amount of crappies, and a largemouth... no walleyes tonight.

here are the two big crappies

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/gone...pg?t=1201580632

Hey Guys,

Just curious to know..........when is the best time to fish for some Crappie during the "soft water" season on Scugog? I would assume Spring........but when?

Thanks!

they can be caught all day long, but they are primarily night feeders like the walleye

• 1 year later...

hey all, just had the best night of fishing ever at scugog. friend caught 3.5 lbs largie, very nice, and i got 2 nice eating size walleye, 12-15 inches, both...and one giant, of 30 inches, and 8.5 lbs. Caught 2 giant musky, one over 40 inches, and one 34 inches both great big heads. Caught 3 black crappie, and 2 small thro-back perch. All fish today were caught on the exact same worm harness, kind of hard to believe all these fish, both large and small would go after the same bait. Scugog is definitly growing on me. Used to fish pure north waters, but now i might fish closer to home more often. Just started this forum today so will try and upload the pictures from last night! Good luck to all!

largecreature.jpg