Cooks bay poll

Riparian

Cooks Bay perch  

78 members have voted

1. 1. While fishing for perch on cooks bay (within the last few years)

• You consistently catch dinks.
    • You consistently catch dinks with few jumbos.
    • You catch lots of jumbos and few dinks.
    • You have a random outcome every time.

Well now that i think about it...i have always had different days on lady lake simcoe,it seems that my luck is always changing out there specially while ice fishing,its like i never have 2 days the same,days when i think im going to catch alot i dont catch many...while days im not really trying i will hit the motherlode !!!!!....maybe thats what keeps me going back...i never know what im going to catch,ive been way out fishing for lake trout and caught perch ???? ive been perch fishing and caught lake trout...its weird things like that always happen to me out on simcoe !!!! and hey now we all have to wait a few years till those muskies all start to get bigger they stocked 9000 this year,so we might be chasing them in a few im looking forward to that for sure,as well as every year there are big walleyes caught too...i really want to catch a big one out there this spring....it gives me something to look forward too !!!! thanks for the thread its cool.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

and hey now we all have to wait a few years till those muskies all start to get bigger they stocked 9000 this year,so we might be chasing them in a few im looking forward to that for sure,

Those Muskie should eat up a few dinky perch ...you can't always catch Jumbo's but if you only keep Jumbo's all the time they will disappear... big perch spawn big perch dinky perch make for dinky perch ..if Lady Simcoe had a slot say no bigger then 12" you would see many big trophys come outa that lake ..hate to say it but way to many Jumbo's have taken there toll on that lake ..

I believe its random chance but Cooks is one of the 3 areas on Simcoe I have caught or seen caught a true 2lb perch (ice or not) on a "regular"

basis.

That being said, you have to do everything in your powers to stack the deck in your favour (its really the definition of angling).

I personally have 1 goal ever time I hit that lake for "rings", its to get one that weighs 2.26 lbs or better verified, weighed, documented & released.

There are certainly less 10-12 inch Perch then I recall even a decade ago but I've seen the sport and efficiency of ice anglers grow quicker in that period to, probably more then any other fishing niche.

cooks bay is the one place i go when i want guaranteed perch. you have to move around a lot to get them over 9 inches, but if you can't catch perch on cooks bay on a daily basis your doing something wrong. no bait needed, just keep moving. all you need is one rod with a jigging spoon to stir up silt, one rod with a small jiggin rap, and one rod with with a small bug type bait, and a rubber power maggot or gulp, or something like that. with these 3 items, your equipped. you will sort through plenty of fish, i find 7-8 inches is pretty average. the ideal keepers in my mind are 9-10 inches, anything under and over goes back, like i said you will have to move and sort to get these fish. so yes, there is a real mix of size in cooks bay, but its easy pickings. throw those fat bellied sows back when you do catch them, they are just a waste anyway all roe, with a nice back fillet, but you can get nearly as much meat off a 10 inch perch. might as well let them breed.

cooks bay is the one place i go when i want guaranteed perch. you have to move around a lot to get them over 9 inches, but if you can't catch perch on cooks bay on a daily basis your doing something wrong. no bait needed, just keep moving. all you need is one rod with a jigging spoon to stir up silt, one rod with a small jiggin rap, and one rod with with a small bug type bait, and a rubber power maggot or gulp, or something like that. with these 3 items, your equipped. you will sort through plenty of fish, i find 7-8 inches is pretty average. the ideal keepers in my mind are 9-10 inches, anything under and over goes back, like i said you will have to move and sort to get these fish. so yes, there is a real mix of size in cooks bay, but its easy pickings. throw those fat bellied sows back when you do catch them, they are just a waste anyway all roe, with a nice back fillet, but you can get nearly as much meat off a 10 inch perch. might as well let them breed.

good post.

Guest skeeter99

would not even waste my time on cooks bay

bigger and more perch in other areas of the lake, it just cooks bay is easy to get to that is why it gets so much attention way overated, but it has it times

headin' out in the mornin' to a friends hut . he says it's over 75 feet of water on kempenfelt bay . it's a virgin spot so i'm bringing out the hand auger to cover some ground incase it's quiet at that location.hoping for some wh :sleeping_02: itefish action. if not i'm heading for the perch.it's late , i gotta hit the sack. i'll do the poll tommorow.

Those Muskie should eat up a few dinky perch ...you can't always catch Jumbo's but if you only keep Jumbo's all the time they will disappear... big perch spawn big perch dinky perch make for dinky perch ..if Lady Simcoe had a slot say no bigger then 12" you would see many big trophys come outa that lake ..hate to say it but way to many Jumbo's have taken there toll on that lake ..

Agree and disagree, too many dinks also don't allow the food comsuption to get bigger. Once the main fishing season kicks off perch take a back seat most of the time.

Wonder if a perch closed season would make a difference ?