Bye, Bye Ferguson

carp-starter

Well, I'm thinking Cliff would not have entered into this venture if he wasn't assured he will have some type of autonomy. What I heard at lunch is that Fletcher, Peddie and Gordon Kirk (whose on the Fan sometimes) will be on a committee to find a new President and GM.

Fletcher is well connected but his strength has never been in developing youth and used to refer to the draft as draft-smaft" which is not what the Leafs need right now in the salary cap world. Time will tell.

Let the deals begin....

they need to get rid of Peddie

This quote is from the fan590's website

An official press release from the Maple Leafs organization outlined how Peddie and Gord Kirke will combine to search fopr a new president and GM, perhaps meaning that Peddie, the current president, will be bumped from the position.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/01/22/ferguson_leafs/

Someone needs to buy at the Teacher's Pension to get rid of Peddie. They had a shot at getting a good hockey guy in John Muckler last summer with Bowman as his advisor. Muckler told them what he wanted in with respect to control of decisions on personel, they were insulted. We get stuck with the "Plugs" that are on the ice now. Peddie isn't a hockey guy he thiks he is. The only smart move he made has hiring Colangelo to run the Raptors. Just because Peddie is Canadian doesnt mean he knows anything about hockey

I'm a die hard Leafs fan, but you'd think the Canadian government was running the team sometimes. Firing Ferguson is a bandaid solution. I bet Cliff will make the team better, but I'm hoping he doesn't mortgage the future of the team for an attempted playoff run. I'd rather someone did the exact opposite and gave up the old for some new. Look to the future Cliff ........... please.

Decent move by MLSE. Not many GM candidates available at this point in the season and he's a decent choice. I also like the fact that he's here only temporarily... I think they will go for the best possible GM/President candidate this time around...it sounds like they've learned something from this debacle...

David Poile is available this summer. He's a very solid choice... And something tells me that Burke will enter into the equation somehow...

God knows they have the $$$$ to out-compete any team if they apply it in the right spots, such as player devlopment and courting the best possible people... if these jackas* ever got the heads out of the sand, they'd be a perrenial winner...

I'm a die hard Leafs fan, but you'd think the Canadian government was running the team sometimes. Firing Ferguson is a bandaid solution. I bet Cliff will make the team better, but I'm hoping he doesn't mortgage the future of the team for an attempted playoff run. I'd rather someone did the exact opposite and gave up the old for some new. Look to the future Cliff ........... please.

what would he mortgage? they dont have much to give away...

and it's not a bandaid solution...?? it was an absolutely necessary move and the GM/President is the most important position on a team!

I think it was a good move........I like fergie but...he mortgaged the future for the buds.

Cliff......time will tell.

I think they should keep some on ice integrity by keeping Sundin and

dumping salaries of thos tradeable for prospects (young) like,

McCabe, Kubina, Tucker.

They cant dump Raycroft just yet cuz of cost but others in the same categorie like Blake.

They have an exellent future but require E-Xtra's by draft and perhaps an aquisition or 2 but,

you dont get rid of the youth theyve got.....Steen, Stajan, Devereau,Stralman, Tlusty, Antropov.

Most folk can easil say trade away Poni but why.........he's young, growing into his position and doesnt cost much..I think alot of these guys need a decent coach to put them into a better place and mind set about their games.

Yessir.keep Sundin and Kaberle.........they'll just have to be told not to expect to play for a winner for a few years.

Ok, let me weigh in on this...

Sundin and Kaberle MUST go. They will bring the most return for the buck, problem is Sundin has the no trade and Kaberle has a limited trade time built into his contract, meaning the Leafs would generally not be able to trade him except for a window of opportunity in the summer. Bottom line though is that they HAVE to convince these guys that's it's going to be a looonnnnnngggggg time before there is a winning team in TO.

The rest of the slugs, McCabe, Blake and Kubina, there isn't much you can do with them, cause nobody wants them and their inflated salaries. Kubina and Blake could be waived and shipped to the minors, thus their salaries won't count against the cap and those are the types of decisions that MUST be made in order to right the ship. Ferguson simply was unable to take advantage of the provisions of the salary cap, either he wouldn't or he was too stupid.

Steve Simmons wrote a great article in the Sun today outlining the incompetence of Junior. Sadly though, the incompetence runs rampant at MLSE and goes all the way to the top. Peddie is a fool, yes he knows how to make money, but his ego won't let him step aside and let a REAL hockey man do the job and Tannenbaum has his meddling finger in every decision. These guys need to shut the hell up and let somebody else do the job. The fact that Peddie once again will be head up the search committee to a find another new GM (he did a great job the last time didn't he?) is not good news and proves things will likely never change.