Names and Handles

Bernie

The thought occurred to me over the weekend "how did the name handle thing get started?". In the past in my old Citizen Band days (CB's for those are too young to remember) we used "handles" instead of our real names or our license number. The reason we used handles back then was because many were not licensed or would run more wattage than we were allowed to talk further away. Has this tradition carried to discussion boards in some manner? Mostly none of us here have little or nothing to hide from so I suppose it is all just for fun. Some people here use their real names Rick, Lew, Joey , Gerritt, Roy, Corey, Dan, Terry and so on. Then there are some folks who use their trade/profession for a handle; hometownhandyman, aplumma, daplumma, Hearingfish, Headhunter, BPSBASSMAN and so on. Then comes the possible appropriate ones. The first one that comes to mind is "misfish" Now I have never fished with Brian but why did he pick a name like that? :whistling::lol: . Solopaddler is known for his forays into the wilderness on his own and his great posts on them. Moosebunk is also a great story teller with a fun twist to them. Now last but not least is the one that sticks out from all the rest, yes you guessed it, Greencoachdog :blink: ???? What is that?

Just thought I would toss in a little fun topic here.

Edited by Bernie

I started using a handle when first getting on the internet...kind of a safety net I guess, didn't always want people to know my real name until I was comfortable with them. The handle was given to me years ago by an old friend/co-worker back in the SNL days ;) I liked it so I kept it....that's my story and I'm sticking to it :P

Maureen

Hey Bernie, its a good topic, I personally like to know whom I'm talking to, I like to use my real name-always have. I guess it's a choice-I getting to know a few of the guys for who they are like Brian aka Misfish , I don't have a problem with it just my prefferance. Mark

I think you like my name Mark,MIS fish. LOL

I would have no probs using my name,just seemed that it was thing to do,"have a handle name".

I use a handle cos the Yanks in Florida called me Nanook of the North! :blahblah1:

I think if everyone used their real names ,it could get hectic.

I.E. 10 Mikes

15 joe's

5 Bills

Come to think of it, I could use Glen and cause a nice little upset :devil::devil:

Where else could I use a name like MAster B8t and not be assumed to be some kind of perv???

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Who said we didn't think you were not a perv??? LOL :o:lol::thumbsup_anim:

Only kidding of course....

My first internet handle was "fret"...which is a part of a guitar...not someone who worries all the time. It morphed into ccmt because many sites years ago had to have at least 4 characters to a username. I added the 'canada' part because believe it or not, ccmt was taken already when I joined yahoo.

Some people thought I worked for the hockey company ccm, and others thought the cmt meant "Country music television". If you've seen my band's videos, you know this is NOT the case...LOL.

I always thought Greencoachdog was Alabannannas slang for not catching fish north of the mason dixon line.Daplumma is a nickname given to me years ago cause my last name is unpronouncable to most people that dont live in the swamps of Louisiana or Canada (Melancon).Good thread ,Bernie.

Joe

Its funny before I got "back" into fishing I was an avid whitewater kayaker and used to frequent a paddlers forum where I always posted under my real name. I've been known to "get into it" with other posters from time to time(not here to many mods, LOL) and I would never hide behind some alias...But when I discovered the fishing sites like this one most people seemed to have a "handle" so I picked Pigeontroller since I have a trailer on Pigeon Lake and have spent many hours trolling for the elusive Muskie(I actually prefer casting). My given name is always in my signature, and my email is not hidden. As always, I stand behind what I say, and take responsibility for it.

DT10Sam,

Well my name is Sam and I am an avid trapshooter shooting at those miserable little orange targets flying through the air launched from a machine. DT10 is a high end gun manufactured by Beretta and ironically this year I am tournament shooting with a gun that was made for me called Caesar Guerini. Well I am not about to change my handle at this stage. So if any of you guys are clay target shooters specifically trapshooting you will probably see me shooting this year as I get ready for the Provincial Championships and the Canadian Championships. I have had a 2 year rest from competitions and now I am ready to get back into it.

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

Holdfast is a Radio Handle meaning Combat Engineer in the Army. You don't want to spell out to the Enemy that there are Engineers in the Area, or Starlite meaning Medic, Watchdog MP, Sunray your Commander. Kind of Gives it away on what might be happening. These days the nicknames really don't matter anymore with today's radio security, however nicknames still exist. As far as using my real name, I don't think so unless I know someone. I figure whilst using a public forum, probably better not to advertise who you are. For example being called a racist or getting someone angry because of my opinions or views as there are sensitive people who take things really personal or out of context. There are weirdos out there.