Portable Fish hut Registry

Fish Farmer

I don't know if this was posted before. This is a heads up for all portable fish hut owners. Any portable hut used more than 2 Square Metres (21.5 square feet) have to be registered. The only exception is zone 1-8,18 I called the ministry, and they say thats correct. What a bunch of bull :wallbash:

Check page 11 in the new regs.

Example:

On L. Simcoe you will need 2 numbers East & West if you want to fish the whole lake.

Edited by Spiel

I suppose it costs money to register 'em...?

If that's the case, then they can chase me down for fines... I bought a portable hut (clam) 6' x 4' so that I didn't have to go through the registration process and so that I didn't have to leave it on the ice. GRRRR

Any hut left on the ice without someone physically occupying it would also need a number regardless of the size.

It's not a money grab, just a so that it keeps ice anglers honest when it comes time to clean up. If it's left after thaw or after the zoning time limit, the registered owner would be fined for littering. (or something down that line of thinking)

that is not what they are saying now the have stated and used the word tent and portable

people send an email to the mnr tell them it is stupid here is the spot on their website to email

mnr email feedback

here are the regs

Q3: Why is there a need to register ice huts in some of the new FMZs?

A: Ice hut registration is now required in zones 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17,

18, 19 and 20. Many individual lakes or districts currently require ice hut

registration. Registration at a zone-wide scale and the setting of

standardized ice hut removal dates were introduced to make it easier to

determine where ice hut registration and removal dates apply and to assist

with enforcement. Ice hut registration assists Conservation Officers to

ensure all ice huts are removed prior to ice break up by enabling them to

identify the owner of the ice hut.

* In this Zone, only a few waterbodies are open for winter fishing

– see Additional Fishing Opportunities for Zone 17.

• You do not need to register your ice hut in Zones 1-8 and 13.

• You do not need to register an ice hut if it is a tent made of cloth

or synthetic fabric that has a base area of two square metres

(21.5 square feet) or less when erected.

• Ice hut registration numbers must be at least 6.3 cm (2.5 in.) in

height and clearly displayed on the outside of the hut.

• Whether or not an ice hut removal date applies to your Zone, it is

an offence under the Public Lands Act to leave your ice hut out after

ice break up.

The MNR can put any spin they want on it.It won't stop the ones that will leave garbage and old tents behind cause it's hit or miss when it comes to being checked.Seeing as the ice is considered as not safe they won't likely be out on the lakes till the snowmobile clubs start staking or at least that's the way it seems to be around Orillia anyway.They'll sit in the parking lot and wait for you.Anyway,I guarantee you regardless of the size of my Clam portable I'd have to be an idiot to leave it overnite unattended.It would serve me right if it was taken.

Kerry

Yes registration is free, but you have to register through that district office that your fishing in. This means that if you move to different lakes or districts you need a new number. Your hut will look like a bill board, how are you going to put the numbers on. Paint, sew, stick, etc. With all the pounding around, stick ons won't last. Paint, what happens if you sell your portable the number stays with the hut under your name. What a nightmare. :wallbash:

Anyone want to buy a Clam? <_< LOL!

I can understand why they'd want you to register a permanent hut but not too clear on any reason for a portable. (aside from a cash grab) If it IS the law, you don't need to disfigure your clam with paint or embroidery. Just tote one of these around and put magnetic registration number on there. It also doubles as a great cooler. You can keep your lunch and drinks in there. Also available in other species of fish. CAUTION: Don't ever use the pig one. You'll be getting carded every outing.

walleye_fish_13_103.jpg

Well I used your link Terry and sent em an E-mail and would think any of us who ice fish whether or not with a portable should do the same... If ya let the Gov't or Ministry push too much the will keep going, and eventually affect you whether or not you see it now... soon it will be special licenses for vehicles including cars, and Ice fishing licenses. Lets all speak up OFC has a voice lets show the Ministry.

Heres my message:

Hello there, and good day to you. I am writing about registering fish huts in zones 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17,

18, 19 and 20. The new registration rules seem to be somewhat ignorant as even portable collapsible huts must be registered. I enjoy frequenting many lakes and want to understand how it is reasonable to ask those of us who have portables, not much over regulation size (being 21.5 sq. feet), are supposed to go about fishing the many lakes we are fortunate enough to have in Ontario without making our huts covered in 2.5" lettering specifically on cloth, where stickers or paint are not an option and the numbering would cost near or over $100 per license number. Hopefully this was some sort of oversight, which is clearly in need of re-evaluation. I appreciate any response.

Bill Parker