To quiet at our house today

FISHINGNUT

Yesterday my wife and I had to make the painfull decision of putting our dog of 11yrs down.He had cuching disease in the brain which we had been trying to control with medication for the past few months.He had lost 28lbs in just a short period of time and he just wasnt the same dog anymore,We made a deal that we would do what we could medicaly for him but I refused to allow him to suffer for our benefit. Over the last couple of weeks he ate very little from his dishes but continually chased down and ate many rabbits and squirrels in the back yard which he has never done in the past and had been showing more and more signs of aggresion and would not respond even to me let alone my wife and kids.So for his sake and my wife and kids safety I felt it was time.Its hard to belive he is gone .I used to sometimes get mad that he allways was under foot and would follow me from room to room but today the house just feels so empty and quiet with him gone.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets are such a big part of our lives, it definitely hurts to lose them, especially if you have to be the one to make such a tough decision. I'm sure you gave him a good life & he was happy & you'll always be able to remember the great times you all had. My sympathies to you and your family.

DebS

My condolences. I can relate, as my dogs are a constant pain, yet I love them as if they were my own flesh and blood.

My suggestion......get right out there and get yourself another one! It will not replace your friend, but it will begin another wonderful relationship.

Tough day Fishingnut. That is something that all of us dog owners have to face and it is never easy, no matter the circumstances with our pets themselves. It is tough and takes a while to get over it. I can certainly share your pain and grief. Sorry to hear about your loss.

It truely is a sad day. It has happened to me a number of time and it never gets any easier. Each dog has his or her own personality with the way they wag their tail, bounce around, chew on socks, eating habits, lick your face, etc. And when you have to say good bye it truely is like loosing your best friend of close family member. Some of my fondest memories are of my dogs.

I agree the best thing you can do is to buy a new one. No it will never replace the old one but it will make coping with the loss much easier and as already stated, it gives you some one new to love.

I am so very sorry to hear that you had to have him put down, it is one of the hardest things we as pet owners are faced with but you did what was best for him and your family. It doesn't stop your heart from aching to know that but you did everything that you could do. Quality of life is much more important than quantity! I do agree with so many others though, head down to the pound and get another dog. There are so many of them that need a good and loving home and too few people with the kind of love and compassion that your home can offer.

I hope I display the courage you did to do "the right thing, at the right time" for the pets that depend on us. I have two Golden Retrievers 9 and 12 that can sometimes be a royal pain in the :asshat: but my life would be empty without them.

If I may suggest you take the appropriate time before getting a new dog. I think you will know the right time.

Peace.