Objects Caught From Bottom

Mike the Pike

Best I've even seen was many years ago... just a kid on Nipissing, guiding a fishing party.

See this rope hangin' from a tree branch, straight on down into the water... As we was trolling for pike, I just headed over close by to that rope, see what it was doing there...

Pulled up along side and stopped the engine.... and pulled up on the rop.. Tied to the end was an unbroken, chillin' bottle of rye...

Now I never did believe in drinking while out on the water... but we made an exception this one time...

I cranked the lid on that new bottle and took a big ole swig on that juice.... then passed her on up the boat...

We all had a good swig... but not being greedy, left some for the folk who put her there.... gently lowered the not so full bottle back into the water...

then started up the motor and went on our way....

true story...

btw... welcome to the board Peter Pan...........

Dragged up a long handled extendable net one day, my bud reached for the handle end, and the rest went back down. On the return troll, I snagged the rest of it again, lol.

Fixed the handle index, bought a new net mesh, and still have it to this day.

Lines, lures, sinkers, etc....too many times to count.

One time just 4 or 5 yrs. ago, steelhead fishing in the spring, I fought a fish to shore, released it, and realized I was tangled in line around my feet.

Gathered the line, and kept pulling(it was on a sandbar) and ended up pulling out a cheap combo Johnson rod and reel setup. Rod was fine, reel was full of sand, line on it was toast. Refilled the spool with Trilene XT 8 lb. test from the 3000 yd. spool I have, and completely cleaned out and lubed the reel(took me 30 min).

Sold it for 25 bucks, lol.

15lb anchor out of Fushimi that someone had cut off due to bottom snag I guess.

Fishing rod/line/lure that my son still uses as his personal rod from behind the "big" island on Fushimi

Mabe I should take some bigger treble hooks and lead weights next year, Wayne!!

On a fly in trip outta Chapleau years ago...hopping jigs in the current...the boat swings towards a overhanging tree. I set the rod down to push us away from the tree with the oar. With oar in hand I get a fish or a snag and my rod flys out the back of the boat. Tried for awhile to retrieve it ...couldn't see it and the current was a pain...no luck. A couple of days later in the same spot my buddy hooks a small walleye that ended up swimming around my rod or the fishing line and he hauls in my rod and reel for me!!! After I lost my rod and reel I jokingly told the boys in the fishing party that I would exchange sexual favors for whoever got my gear back.... and my buddy still says I owe him whenever he sees me.

Caught a rod and reel (old mitchell 300) ... that was lost from my boat amost 15 years prior .... took me about an hour ... while cleaning it up ... to recognize it ... and it was my wife that reminded me of the episode all those years ago when some guest tossed it overboard in a failed attempt at matching a 'pro' cast :)

A guy in our fishing club happened to run across a CO last year while at his camp on the Steele river. The CO told him he pulled up a scotty manual downrigger and ball last year from a spot just downstream from the camp. One of his drunken buddies was in the boat 2 years prior and was clearing part of an overhanging tree when the boat drifted under a low branch which peeled off the downrigger. Don't know if it's true or not but makes for a great story!

jjcanoe