Scotch Connoisseurs?

Landlocked

Prices seem to be ever increasing too :(

I haven't found many Canadian whiskies that Ive enjoyed neat. Bourbons on the other hand are excellent. Woodford Reserve double oaked, blantons, four roses single barrel are fantastic.

I will admit that I may not have a refined palette, but I did enjoy Collingwood Whiskey. I am drinking some cheap Evan Williams right now and I think it's pretty good for what I paid for it. I normally drink them neat. I liked the Four Roses I had (i don't know which one it was, but it was a more premium batch), but honestly, I preferred the Jim Beam Black Label more.

Edited by adempsey

Here's a couple that I enjoy from time to time.

Aberlour 18 YO

Balvenie 15 YO single barrel sherry cask

Glendronach 18 YO

Balvenie 15 Sherry Cask is phenomenal but now that it has shot up by $100.00 per bottle (Thanks KGBO!) it puts it out of range for most people, the 21 Port Cask is equally as good but again now $100.00 more so I will be sitting on my bottles for quite some time. Most of their range is quite good & consistent, not a fan of the Tun series for the price (again LCBO shot these up 300-400 over the last year)

Extremely hard to beat GlenDronach's core range for price & consistency, their 12 year sherry bomb is $70,00 & a staple in my place.

I'm a Islay fan so I enjoy BIG peat & smoke, Ardbeg 10 is a standard, very consistent. I have a real hard time paying more for a NAS whiskey over a age stated one not that there hasn't been some real dynamite NAS ones, I would just find a good whiskey bar & pay for a shot to try before plunking down good hard earned cash. A place like Feathers Pub or Via Allegro are a great place to start.

Kilchoman is another favorite but being a smaller distillery their output can't match the big boys for volume so their prices are a bit more but well worth it IMO.

Big bourbon fan too, for everyday drinking you can't beat Elijah Craig or Knob Creek <$50. Blanton's is my personal fav but at $65 per copy it comes out once in a while, Bib & Tucker is really fine but again $100.00 per copy.. I just won through the LCBO lottery a Colonel EH Taylor single barrel bourbon that might just be the best I've ever had & seeing as such small amounts are released to the LCBO my chances of winning again are quite small so I'll be sitting on this for awhile.

just noticed this is from 2007

Edited by ckewley

I've switched to Top Shelf moonshine outta Perth and Jamiesons Irish Whiskey.

It's true but still love the scotch. Prices are getting a little stoopid though.

Funny to read the old favorites. At the time, remember really enjoying Scapa. Hard to get now. Don't care for Lagavulin anymore.

To keep it "reasonable" and under $90, while often available at the LCBO... enjoying most the...,

Tomatin 15

Dalwinnie 15

MacCallan 10 oak

Aberlour 10

Glen Garioch Founders

best bang for your buck scotch ive found is Auchentoshan 12

big big fan of this scotch and it doesnt break the bank.

Will have to try sometime. A few greats that are reasonable that come to mind are:

Laphroaig quarter cask

Glenfiddich 15 solera

Highland Park 12

Bowmore 12

Cragganmore 12

With rising prices it's hard not to explore Bourbon. Excellent product and typically at least half the price of Scotch.

Edited by Spooled

Single malt Scotch is out of my snack bracket, I do enjoy a bit of Forty Creek Barrel Select though.

I tried some wisers barrel select over the holidays. Great stuff!! I like 40 creek when it first came out, but all i buy is gibsons again now. Its almost too smooth!

I've never been a fan of scotch. Just the smell of it makes me gag.

I presume it's the smoke smell that is the deterrent?

Definitely takes some getting used to but the peated(think smoke like smell) scotches can be excellent. But there are some stellar scotches that are either lightly or not peated at all. Think a lot of folks smell a something like a lagavulin or Johnnie Walker black and get put off initially from the peat lol.

I seen a bottle of canadian whisky in lcbo made like scotch around 70 bones forget the name looks like made on east coast forget the name but it comes.in a cardboard box if antone knows.

Another canadian i really enjoy gibson rare 18yo yummers

Cc 100% rye neat with ice cube

I seen a bottle of canadian whisky in lcbo made like scotch around 70 bones forget the name looks like made on east coast forget the name but it comes.in a cardboard box if antone knows.

Another canadian i really enjoy gibson rare 18yo yummers

Cc 100% rye neat with ice cube

It's called Glen Breton from Cape Breton & if you ever hit the Cape I highly recommend a tour!

1937369_99913711556_2075351_n_zpsfxoj489

Me & a bud as we arrived

1937369_99913721556_5222912_n_zps8e1d020

And after the tour + a stop at the in house bar & the gift shop...:) (of note a beautiful creek runs through the property where Brookies are a plenty)

• 3 weeks later...

It's called Glen Breton from Cape Breton & if you ever hit the Cape I highly recommend a tour!

1937369_99913711556_2075351_n_zpsfxoj489

Me & a bud as we arrived

1937369_99913721556_5222912_n_zps8e1d020

And after the tour + a stop at the in house bar & the gift shop...:) (of note a beautiful creek runs through the property where Brookies are a plenty)

Epic???

I received GB 10yr as a gift recently. Very interesting and tasty malt I'd really like to try some older bottlings from this distillery. Holds its own against a few of the younger scotches but do find it a touch spirity.

I'm not sure why they don't offer their older expressions outside of their gift shop, but they were very reasonable. They had a 15 & 18yr when I was last there, would imagine they'd have a 25 now!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure why they don't offer their older expressions outside of their gift shop, but they were very reasonable. They had a 15 & 18yr when I was last there, would imagine they'd have a 25 now!

For sure it'd be nice to try a few others. Took your advice on the Kilchoman and have been enjoying the Machir Bay. Excellent for its age. Actually was surprised by Ledaig 10 even more. Very reasonable and quite peaty for a malt not produced on Islay.

For sure it'd be nice to try a few others. Took your advice on the Kilchoman and have been enjoying the Machir Bay. Excellent for its age. Actually was surprised by Ledaig 10 even more. Very reasonable and quite peaty for a malt not produced on Islay.

Glad you're enjoying the Machir Bay & yes Ledaig is a excellent drop for it's price tag. If you enjoy Sherry cask whiskey's I'd highly recommend Glendronach 12yr, usually you can try before you buy to make sure it's something you'd like. Price has gone up recently buy $5 if I'm not mistaken but still reasonable, gotta love the KGBO!

Glad you're enjoying the Machir Bay & yes Ledaig is a excellent drop for it's price tag. If you enjoy Sherry cask whiskey's I'd highly recommend Glendronach 12yr, usually you can try before you buy to make sure it's something you'd like. Price has gone up recently buy $5 if I'm not mistaken but still reasonable, gotta love the KGBO!

Yes I see another significant price increase has occurred with several skus :(. I've had the GD12 before and was very good. Great value and tons of sherry. Currently enjoying the Benromach 15 - it's pretty good but not sure worth the price tag. I do want to try their peat smoke expression though.

Going to be a bit more focused on finding value malts as the prices are getting nuts. Luckily there are some great bourbons for the price still. Ever try any Ryes? Thinking of trying the stalk and barrel or the Mastersons. I've had the Pikesville and it's excellent.

Edited by Spooled