True Winter Steelheading Today!

solopaddler

This time of the year the weather can turn on a dime. As a steelheader you constantly watch the long term weather forecast, shuffle work schedules around and do whatever you have to do to squeeze a day in when the conditions look good. 'Cause things can end pretty quickly this time of year. Opportunities are limited.

Today was one of those days. My very good friend Paul joined me for the first time this fall taking a precious day off work and hoping for the best.

On the surface things looked good. There had been substantial rain on Tuesday, then nothing on Wednesday and overnight into Thursday morning. This river clears overnight so we knew there would be a fresh run of fish in and the conditions for this morning should be good.

Only problem, they were calling for a winter storm starting mid-morning with possibly up to 10" of snow.

So, do we make the long drive to fish and potentially get stuck in a storm? OF COURSE!! :D

The drive over this morning turned out to be a doozy. The snow started earlier than was predicted and with 40 mins. of driving still to go it hit with a fury. The road quickly became snow covered and the Oldsmobile (or Deathmobile as I like to call it :P ) was weaving and slipping all over the place.

We made it though! When we finally arrived at the river we were somewhat dismayed to see that it was a bit dirtier than anticipated.

When the water is this cold and dirty it's imperative to have large, bright roe bags, preferably skeined roe and not loose. The skeined eggs milk out much more scent and are generally much more productive than loose eggs this time of year.

When the water is this dirty it's also important to change where you drift. The fish aren't going to expend an ounce of energy in this cold, so fast water is not a good choice. Slower more moderate flows are key. Also when the water is this dirty the fish hold much closer to shore than some might think, the fish feel safer in the murky water. Small, soft little seams very close to shore are deadly...

Anyhow, enough yapping! :)

My normal modus operandi as far as a starting point is as close to the lake as possible.

Usually if you hit a pod of fish near the lake they'll be fresh and aggressive, so that's just where we headed.

100_2183.jpg

PICT0173.jpg

We fished it hard for a while and both missed fish, but couldn't connect, so we tried a little further up and

managed to catch a few.

PICT0185.jpg

100_2184.jpg

100_2185.jpg

100_2187.jpg

There were definitely fish in that spot. The only problem was with the murky, high water.

There was really nothing there to hold them. No spot where they would really stack up.

We both decided we needed to find a more intimate pool upstream where the fish would

be more concentrated.

I knew a perfect spot. There's a long stretch of fast water and just above it a long, slow pool with lots of cover.

When fish are ascending a river, after running upstream through fast water they like to rest in the tailout of the first slow water they find. We made a beeline for that spot.

In the interim the snow and rain started to fall heavily. Here's Paul crossing the river to join me on the other side.

100_2189.jpg

Needless to say it was nasty out, but boy did we find the motherlode! :D

100_2191.jpg

100_2193.jpg

100_2194.jpg

100_2195.jpg

PICT0192.jpg

PICT0190.jpg

PICT0207.jpg

PICT0204.jpg

PICT0199.jpg

PICT0223.jpg

PICT0221.jpg

PICT0219.jpg

PICT0218.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

PICT0215.jpg

PICT0208.jpg

PICT0238.jpg

PICT0232.jpg

PICT0230.jpg

PICT0229.jpg

PICT0228.jpg

I'm afraid to tell you guys how many we actually caught today... but it was a lot. :P

We lost a pile of fish as well. Amazingly even in the cold water they put up a

heck of a fight.

By the latter part of the afternoon the precip had changed entirely to rain so thankfully

the roads were just wet and the drive home was uneventful.

We were like a couple of cold, wet ,drowned rats when we made it back to the car.

But we were happy rats :D .

All in all a standout day with a good friend who I rarely get to fish with anymore!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Excellent report and pics!!!... as usual! I hope those are female fish because they are waaaay to "pretty" to be males. I think the Browns are a tad more photogenic, but they're all beautiful!

Gotta get me some of them Salmonoids one of these days.

You're definately hard core to fish in that weather! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for taking the time to post another marvelous report!!!

Well I usually say I am impressed with your reports but now, I feel as if you are just rubbing in the fact that you get to go out and are so darn successful. Do you want us all to just feel poorly because we do not get to have our steel outings? Thanks for the report SP Great pics and fish

zzz still up...:sleeping_02:

It was memorable for sure! I look forward to our next outing, bud :)

Please don't worry about us being cold! There's something about winter chrome that makes you impervious to all but the nastiest chills. :Gonefishing:

Ok and steelhead madness helps a lot, too!

If anyone really wants to be numbed, see my blog entry for this awesome day http://theaveragesteelheader.blogspot.com

p.-

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

You may be a bit crazy, but you sure know how to connect with fish!

I'm going to book a WEEK off in the spring...and if you can put up with me, I'd love to join you then...I figure at least ONE of those days should be good for fishing...LOL.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

For those that are into it there appears to be some decently mild weather starting later next weekand and continuing through Christmas.

There should be some good opportunities :) .

Hmmm....I'll be in mid-Michigan for Christmas....know of any good spots near Lansing?? LOL.

Hmmm....I'll be in mid-Michigan for Christmas....know of any good spots near Lansing?? LOL.

Lansing is right in the heart of MI, not really close to anything...

If you have a full day to kill you might drive up to the Little or Big Manistee,

about a 21/2 hour drive from Lansing.

Even if the fishing is slow it's worth the trip, the country around there is absolutely beautiful.