Never assume the condition of your equipment.. old or new

irishfield

Finished up blocking all the amphib float planes, up off their tires, today and had a notion to check my boat trailer wheels, since it of course was the first thing I blocked up off it's tires! :D

Two out of four wheels had some play in them...rocking play. Hmmm me thought. Not a lot, but I'm pretty picky and have to be with what I do around here. Popped the bearing buddys off, pulled the cotter pin and tightened the nut a tad on each. One wheel only needed one notch on the castle nut.. the other two. NEW cotter pins and buddys back on and re-filled with grease. All rocking gone...wheels spin nice.

Thought since many of the younger lads..and maybe some of the older lads...that are getting into their own boats and trailers may not have done much wrenching in their times. Took 5 pics to show how to remove the bearing buddys and put it back on. May keep you from scratching your head if you're on the side of the road/in your laneway and can't figure out how to get to the hub retaining nut when your bearings go.

Bearing Buddy

bearingbuddys001.jpg

To remove use a block of wood and a hammer. Light taps.. first one side.. then the other..

bearingbuddys002.jpg

working it back and forth until it starts to rock it's way out.

bearingbuddys003.jpg

Once it's out a little ways tap it so it's centered and it should pull right out.

bearingbuddys004.jpg

To reinstall..push it in by hand nice and straight..place wood across it and then give it a good rap with a hammer

bearingbuddys005.jpg

and then refill with grease. Do not over fill your bearing buddy. A couple pumps until you just see the "plunger" (round disc with grease zert in the center of it) moving towards you. The whole idea is for them to maintain a pressure (they say 3psi) on the grease. This positive pressure keeps water from flowing in when you launch. To check if you're good for grease try rocking the plunger side to side with a finger on each edge. It should move in and out about an 1/8th of an inch and you're good to go.

Maybe the next time someone does a bearing change they can post those pics up and you'll have a full "how to".

I will also note that my bearing buddys have a rubber cap over top of them to keep them clean. Learned today that you should pull said caps before storage and dry them out. Found a bit of ice in them. No big deal on stainless...but no ice would be better than some ice !

REMEMBER - COTTER PINS ARE A SINGLE USE ITEM. Buy a couple new ones before you even start. 1/8" x 1.5" to 2" long will cover you and give you no excuse. IF the cotter shears off one side of your trailers wheels can self tighten... the other fall off!

Edited by irishfield

Thanks for posting that Wayne very thoughtful of you .I did not check my bearrings and a few days before I put my boat away I fried a bearing and broke the Hub so come April I will have a little job to do.I learned the hardway so after this fix I will check my bearings regularily.

I will be having a look at my tandem axel tent trailer as well.Informative thread Wayne thanks.

MTP

I always thought a "Bearing Buddy" was a stuffed animal bear. Man, I was way off! ;) . Thanks for How-To-Do, it has reminded me to pick up a pair for next season. I have yet to upgrade, and now I have been informed! Very useful post and nice job putting it together.

NO different than an old (rear wheel drive) cars front wheel Chris... jack it up.. grab the wheel and try rocking it to check for bearing free play and give it a spin to see if it goes freely and if there's any grindin noises. Take appropiate actions based on what you find and hear.

As for the cotters...sure they get used again in many cases..but for 10 cents or so a pin...why?