Quinte Report

Headhunter

Took what was for me anyway, my last kick at Quinte today. Arrived at the ferry at 7:00am to give the launch there a go as Picton Bay is frozen almost all the way out to the cement plant, McFarlin's Conservation area is snowed in and blocked by shore ice... .

Lauch is open at the ferry, however about 50 to 100ft of shore ice extends out just east of the launch. West winds were breaking that ice up and shoving it into the launch. Bring a spud and some good luck if your planning on using that launch and personally, I wouldn't recommend it in a glass boat!

We ended up launching else-where after two hours of digging snow and ice to clear the ramp and finnaly we were on the water by 10:30am. Decided to try the open are in front of the cement plant and the flat from the cement plant to the ferry.

First and only fish of the day for us came at around 1:00pm, a nine pounder that really gave a good account of itself. Had unfortunately, neglected to put my camera inside my float suit and it simply would not work, being as cold as it was. Did put my camera in my suit after releasing the fish but we were not fortunate enough to get another opportunity to use it again.

We did run into some friends who were also out today, they fished the Adolphus Reach area and got three including at 14 that I saw them taking pics of. What a monster! They are having it mounted so, what's a guy to say... nothin!

We marked most of our fish near the ferry and beyond into the Reach. Actually, the graph was lookin pretty much like it did a few weeks back, big marks all over, if ya know what I mean. Got to the point I simply ignored the graph, it was either that, or start slamming my head into the gunnel!

It was a tad brisk, but not too bad, but it seems to me that the days are numbered for open water fishin on the Q!

HH

PS... we did venture to the Bath launch as well, very shallow, but definately OPEN! A small aluminium and chest waders and you'd be good to go, if you don't mind too much water in front of your tow vehicle, when your launching!

Better then sitting at home fore sure :thumbsup_anim:

I figured Picton was done...

When we left Sunday the Harbor was frozen shut, and I commented to Bigswede...one day of calm weather would shut the bay down.

The water was certainly cold enough, and ther air temps are right, the only reason it was open at all on Sunday was that Dam wind IMO.

Good on ya for trying....nice to hear you got one for your efforts.

Good on ya for giving it a go. I would have gladly changed my day to be out there with you if I could have. You might have been on the water a half hour earlier with another guy shovelling. ;) At least you got one and that's better then what most did for the entire weekend of the the g2g. Since it wasn't a double digit, no picture required. :D

Also, forgot to mention this, but as we were driving home yesterday, we watched some what amazed, as a guy on a quad, puilling and ice hut, ripped across Weller's Bay!

Slightly braver than me, that's for sure!

HH

PS... too bad you couldn't make it FnS... definately could have used an extra pair of hands clearing that ramp!

Edited by Headhunter