Cougar Release !? Near My House !?

Entropy

Two weeks ago I went to thank my local farmer for allowing me to hunt on his land ( located near Nestleton). He said that one of his employees had been talking to a landowner (who leases them some land of farm) that the MNR had come and released 6 to 9 cougars (located near Janetville).

Yesterday I was out in his field sighting in my bow and when finished I talked to him for a while; about racoon’s damaging up to 30 acres of corn, the damage a deer rack can do to a tractor tire, etc. He sounded excited to remind me about the ‘rumor’ of the cougar release near Janetville, as just last week he received a notice in the mail from the MNR, asking him to report any sightings or incidents with cougars to them. He said that this seems to confirm the Janetville area rumor.

While driving home on Saturday evening from western Ontario, I caught a bit of a story / report on the radio. Something about “they think that the highlands will support a population of cougars in the areas with the number of deer, and home that in the future to promote eco-tourism with cougars.”

I understand that there once used to be cougars in the area, way back when.

But, as a local resident and hunter in the area, I have to admit that if this is the case that I’m rather concerned.

Shouldn’t the public be notified?

Livestock losses?

I’d hope someone or a young child doesn’t get attacked by one?

Why the heck wouldn’t they (the MNR) increase the length of the shotgun hunt if this cougar release is partially aimed at controlling the deer population. I’d sure appreciate the extra meat on the table, and I’m sure that local and non-local business would greatly benefit from a longer hunt.

If this is true, it does not seem right to me.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

The Eastern Cougar is native to the province and all indigenous species get priority. There aren't nearly enough hunters around to control the deer.

But seeing how the cougars would help control the deer and raccoon populations, wouldn't the farmers be in favour?

There are cougars and panthers (escapees) around Niagara, but no one has been threatened by them at all. A horse was attacked, but fought off the cougar.

The government does have reimbursement programs for livestock killed by wolves, so I imagine they'll do the same for cougars.

This is taken from another site posted just a few day's ago.

My buddies and I were in lower Bruce County for deer season the first week of November. We went 4 deer for 5 guys. While we are up there we hang our deer at a friends barn who hunts also. He was telling us that a friend of his was out scouting the week for before deer season and found the carcass of a dead fawn, which is not unusual unless you consider that is was 15 feet up in a tree ! He has heard rumours that MNR is trying to bring back the Eastern Cougar and has released a number of them in Ontario. A few days later I was talking to rep. from the MNR and questioned them on the subject. They weren't very talkative about it but did confirm that 3 pairs of Cougars have been released. Two near Aylmer, 2 between Kincardine and Grand Bend and 2 at Baptiste Lake. All have radio collars on them. Sure would be nice to get a look at one and I hope nobody takes a shot at one since they are protected. It would be a little unsettling to go to your tree stand in the morning , shine your light up and have 2 green eyes looking back at ya !Just thought I'd let ya know !"

Cougar's on the move.

A link here.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/...re_wildlife.asp

Hey Nautifish..what part of the Bruce were ya in...? I am from Kincardine and hunt around Kinlos/ Lucknow Greenock Swamp area? Just wondering if this is where your buddy found the carcass in the tree????? i'll have to let the boy's down that way know!

Brkygetr

Hey Nautifish..what part of the Bruce were ya in...? I am from Kincardine and hunt around Kinlos/ Lucknow Greenock Swamp area? Just wondering if this is where your buddy found the carcass in the tree????? i'll have to let the boy's down that way know!

Brkygetr

lol

brkygetr...

As i said that was takin from another site....lol....There has also been quiet a bit of disscusion on this topic on another site.

the MNR wants info about cougars? dang, they got all the info they needed down here about them.... including admitting there is one... and then said "bah, screw yourselves, it's a health and safety issue... someone else can deal with it, we're outta here!!"... seems odd they'd be the least bit curious about them in another area of the province...

If this was true then they usually trade wildlife with other states and provinces. Something like this wouldnt be a secret.

A natural population exists more then they are willing to say. I have seen a very large cat near Orillia and my buddie watched a cougar for 20 minutes on a game trail near head lake.

I hunt areas with very high populations of cats in Alberta and have even been followed by one ( prints in the snow the next day ) but seeing one is next to impossible as they are the ultimate master of stealth.

I have snuck up on 900 lb grizzlies before but I am only afraid of cats as they are nuts!

900lb grizzly 45 yards!! Would never try with a cat

med_gallery_221_42_20508.jpg

Edited by bucktail

Paranoid.

There are cougars in the province, we all know that. Its a natural territory for them.

But I highly doubt the MNR released any without mentioning it. At minimum, they would announce they were releaesed with a request that no one shoot them.

Rumours. That's all I can figure.

If this was true then they usually trade wildlife with other states and provinces. Something like this wouldnt be a secret.

A natural population exists more then they are willing to say. I have seen a very large cat near Orillia and my buddie watched a cougar for 20 minutes on a game trail near head lake.

I hunt areas with very high populations of cats in Alberta and have even been followed by one ( prints in the snow the next day ) but seeing one is next to impossible as they are the ultimate master of stealth.

I have snuck up on 900 lb grizzlies before but I am only afraid of cats as they are nuts!

Come on Bucktail, there is a fence between you and that bear, how risky is that :whistling:

Burt :lol:

Yesterday at about 3:15 pm I got a phone call back from the MNR.

They said that they have not released any cougars in the area, but have however assigned a researcher to investigate, some sightings and possible encounters. They said that the letter my farmer friend got would have been from this researcher. They confirmed that the researcher has put out some trail cams, foil lures, and DNA collecting fur trap pads beneath the lures – these are in the area.

I did not (guess I should have) asked if the researcher has confirmed a cougar(s) in the area.

Entropy

Cougars are extremely tricky to see as a general rule. I have lived for many years in areas with cougars including higher than average population densitys, but have only seen the odd track and one confirmed siting. A common thing to happen is for small pets like cats and small dogs to begin vanishing.

If someone is really serious about finding a cougar and has a fairly fresh site/region as reference, there is a very easy way. Simply get a "dogger" to tree it. It can be done fairly fast and is the most efficient method. It is simple. One associate of mine got his first using this method within the past two winters if memory serves me correctly.

About every other year, I hear about a cougar injuring a child here in BC, and sometimes stalking people. Overall, I welcome them and feel far safer with them around as opposed to some TDM (thieving druggy misfit).

Hopefully this will not offend many, but I do get frustrated at how a few sitings can twist things around.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

How did you convince it to get on the scale

im releasing a cougar tonight but she will come home later.

HaHa That was histarical :clapping:

I'll check into this.

I'm the secretary for the Ontario Puma Foundation.

They usually know everything going on about cougars in Ontario.

Pam

In that case, change your name to Pumala

wHILE WORKING AS BIO AT THE mnr wILDLIFE bRANCH qUEENS pARK AROUND 1986 THE eASTERN cOUGAR DEBATE WAS VERY INTENSE. a FRIEND... bRENDA....? WAS ASSIGNED THE ISSUE AND IN THE END THE ANIMAL WAS GIVEN eNDANGERED sPECIES STATUS ALTHOUGH NO hard EVIDENCE WAs evident AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION and meetings WITH TRAPPERS, DISTRICT BIOS AND SO FORTH. Sorry for the caps locks....

At that time it was estimated there probably were 75 of the animals within Ontario.

With recent mild winters, less rain converting moose habitat to deer habitat, and with a rapidly growing deer population it would be a reasonable assumption that if in existence, eastern cougar numbers would increase accordingly, making sitings more probable.

I still am a bit of a pessimist since, quite frankly, the animal does not hibernate, tracks in the snow should have been well-documented by now and individual animals and their dens located by MNR field staff.

Until such facts are properly documented I do not believe a wild population exists. Released exotic pets sure, but no Eastern Cougars until a dead one or scat/fur/tracks/ are professionally confirmed by MNR.

Edited by cisco