How Much Weight (nf)

watertight

Have you ever seen what happens when you have something insecure in the truck bed and you come to a screetching stop? Insecure items keep going until they hit something strong enough to stop them. Ever figure out the energy of a 60lb slab of cement? As much as adding weight will give you a bit more traction, once you have lost traction in a slide, the extra weight will also keep you going in the slide.

Granted I have only been driving a truck for 2 winters now, but I don't put anything in the bed and have never had a problem.

I have also been told that putting objects in the bed like that voids warranty, if there's any left on the vehicle. I don't know if it is true though.

Putting weight in the bed of a truck sounds more like a saftey net/superstition than a good decision to me. It might make people feel beeter, but I don't think it really accomplishes anything.

I would suggest using common sense when driving and a good pair of snow tires. If you get stuck or start sliding, I don't think an extra 200 lbs. of weight in the back is going to do anything, so I guess the key is to not start sliding - how do you come by that - common sense in driving in slick conditions.

ANyhow - how are you expected to do really good donuts in empy parking lots after a good snowfall with all that extra weight in the back????

:dunno::w00t:

Guest Trophymuskie

I've owned 5 pick ups ( all GMC and Chevrolet )and never needed to ad anything, a good set of winter tires and I was good to go.

BTW none were 4x4 ether and last one had a steel cover/ladder rack and this one is an avalanche with a full cover and traction control.

extra weight most definetly make a difference in traction in pickup trucks, some more then others..if you own a dodge dakota it can make a big difference

mine is so bad I need the extra weight just to pull my boat up many ramps in the summer, when I don't have stuff in the back a couple of people jumping into it does the trick for the gravel ramp in Keswick

and I don't see how putting things in the bed can void warranty

why buy a truck if you can put stuff in the bed?????

I would suggest using common sense when driving and a good pair of snow tires.

You've got it Dutch, and if alot more people followed your advice, we'd sure have ALOT less problems on our roads every time it snows.

Like Chuck.I stack 6-50lb bags of what else....'Brick Sand',

across the axle area of the truck bed...and also if you're ever stuck

you can break one or more open for extra traction.

There was a time I would stack.... 8" blocks in the same area

but they took too much room when I needed it for other purposes.

I never once had a problem with movement of the blocks in any situation as they are pourous and absorb water/melted snow etc..and would freeze in place.

My sister used to have an S-10 2 wheel drive. I made her a wood frame that fit over her wheel wheel humps out of 2 x 6. (board in front and behind the humps and a board against each hump to tie them together) Then loaded a few bags of sand in the frame. Keeps the load from going anywhere and made a considerable difference in her getting going and stopping since the extra weight now made her tires cut into the snow instead of riding on top of it.