Final Days, Year End & Freeze Up. Report.

Moosebunk

The Final Days

After Floatfishing left on the 23rd of October there was every intention to get back up to the Cheepas area of the Moose to try for pike, particularily for the one he left behind. Days growing short and cold though, and the trip up there 2 hours and 1 1/2 on the return, what I really needed was a full day to get the task done. Much rain mixed with snow and major winds on some of my days off, fatherhood on the others, between October 23rd and today 3 more outings were all that were managed.

First trip up I only had the afternoon to fish so, I zipped along to my closest pike spot about an hour from home. It was October 30th and kind of a grey day.

Quick to find the pike weren't too agressive. I was getting follows on spoons, inlines and a flappin' shad but none were committing. That was alright, I had planned to do some other fishing that afternoon.

flypike03.jpg

Pretty rusty and not really all that much of a great distance caster of the big feathers, 40 foot casts were about the max. But it worked. Pike were onto the fly pretty darned decent, a few sucking them in gently and a couple hitting them hard on the drop. When the bite slowed between fish I was casting the flappin shad or the inline to get the follow to the boat, then, I was fly casting once they were around in order to get the job done. Ended up with 7 fish during the short stay, 5 on the fly, 1 on the flappin shad and 1 jigged from under the boat with a silver Bluefox#5. None were of any size but I was still happy with the results.

flypike02.jpg

November 3rd was lucky to get some clear skies and a break away for just an afternoon once again. Made the B-line back to the same spot.

Again the fish were slow. Follows, follows, follows by runts and nothing of size. Left no other options as the next spot up is too far up, had to make do. Enjoying the fly rod I stuck with that again for a good while, and, took to the shoreline to try casting from different directions.

gongday1.jpg

I'd wished I had brought the hip waders as I kept thinking the fish were just a little deeper beyond my cast... and, where my rubber boots could go no further. And yeah, before anyone says so, I know I gotta work on not being so lazy with that backcast.

gongday2.jpg

I did pick up some fish, 6 of them. A buddy of mine coming home from a moose hunt came by and said hello. It wasn't 10 minutes later I decided to pack up and head home, following my friend down through Hancock rapids... sort of. Stupidly while my friend watched on from shore below the rapids I figured I'd just go full out through them and make hard turns around the rocks. My showboating almost worked perfectly except for this tiny little "tick" right at the start. That "tick" as it turned out was the cost of about 1cm off the tip of my skeg. It was bound to go sooner or later though as there had been a small crack there since I smoked a rock in the spring.

Today was my last day out for 2007. Made a full day of it leaving at 8:45 and pushing up finally to the Cheepas. Water levels were way down and minus that little bit of skeg now I was sure to be more careful. 11:00 on the minute began a slow troll of a large homemade inline musky buck in the first and furthest back bay.

Nada. Thinking trolling might be too fast I went over to a calm spot to cast only to find that part of the bay under a 1/4 inch of ice. Nada there. Before leaving that first bay entirely I trolled one more time, this time a weedless Johnson. I was extra slow, popping the motor in and out of drive, when finally a solid "mediumish" fish struck the spoon. For some odd reason though, instead of setting the hook I just put the boat in the neutral, stood and turned to the fish. In that time it came unpegged.

I hit 5 more bays on the way home. One small spot produced 4 small pike all of which were caught on an original Smithwick Rogue using a slow stop and go retrieve. The fly which had worked well for me on the last 2 trips (the one in the top pic) was back at home awaiting a little thread and glue for a fix. Feeling defeated I wasn't at all upset with the results. Ice was here and there, the water obviously darned cold maybe slowing the fish, and remembering just 3 weeks earlier with Float how we had the best fall pike and eye results I have ever experienced on home waters, I cracked a pint for the drive back to celebrate an awesome year of fishing.

gongday3.jpg

The Year End

Those who don't keep a journal, should. I started 2002 and religiously keep up with it. Keeping one isn't only interesting for looking back upon, but, I think they help make me fish smarter and they'd likely work to help anyone.

Last year set 4 goals for 2007. Catch 10+ brookies. Catch a 20lb+ pike. Catch 1 new species. Increase my catch average. All these were achieved.

Exploring for the first time a place called Wavy creek I had my best year for searun brookies catching 12 in total.

may24-11.jpg

Kesagami in March has improved for me every year over 3 years and this one was no different. 21 pike over 35 inches and 5 over 40 were caught by me and guests. 4 fish over 40 inches for myself, 3 times breaking my PB pike and finally getting that fish over 20lb's. Also picked up a new PB walleye for weight at 8.5lbs; a rare fish for that lake. Having friends enjoy the lake with me was a great but the day Bren caught a 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 inch pike all in that order, on 10lb test using a 1 1/4 inch jiggin' spoon... that was simply amazing. She twice eclipsed her PB walleyes that day too.

kesagami07-j3.jpg

kesagami07-i6.jpg

kesagami07-i9.jpg

For a girl who had never caught a pike over about 28 inches, she didn't lose a fish and played all of these like a champ.

Here's the 40's plus the 8.5lb and a 4 to 5lb'ish walleye.

kesagami07-k1.jpg

kesagami07-b9.jpg

normal_kesagami07-e4.jpg

kesagami07-h2.jpg

kesagami07-a5.jpg

kesagami07-b6.jpg

RJ had come up to Kesagami and bagged his own 44" PB pike so, while I was down in Ottawa in the summer he showed his gratitude by getting me out a few times. One of those trips my first muskie was caught, another trip was full of fun bass from the slop.

muskie2.jpg

bassin-f.jpg

bassin-a.jpg

The 4rth goal was to increase the catch average. It was met. The numbers worked out to be 6.52 fish per outing in 2007. 2006 was 5.34, 2005 was 5.06, 2004 = 3.32, 2003 = 3.18 and 2002 was 2.95. This year 1.4 fish on average were caught per hour. I didn't include travel time to and from fishing spots into my hours of fishing per outing.

Some other cool stats...

311 hours total fishing time with 4.6 hours the average per outing. 67 outings/days this year, 14 for ice fishing and 44 of those outings here on the home waters.

Total fish caught for the year was 437.

197 pike, 145 walleye, 59 bass, 12 brookies and 24 other. Walleye numbers from 2006 were down from 164 but pike rose up from 93 as for the first time the journal notes I targetted pike more than walleye.

The family ate their fair share of fish again this year. 86 fish were kept (88 in 2006) Harvested were 77 walleye, 2 pike, 5 brookies and 2 chinook salmon.

No catch (skunk) days reached a low this year at only 5. 2006 was 10 and 2005 was 17. Managed 11 days fishing with family as well.

In the north full moon and first quarter weeks again seemed to prove best, new moon OK some years. South winds (or SW) any season, but more so light south winds on sunny or mainly sunny days proves to be the best weather for catching both pike and eyes. The trout seem to like more grey days historically.

I took up writing a little more, and so with the kind words and encouragement from a number of folks, a strong handful of fine people here at OFC and elsewhere, I submitted 3 articles to Esox Angler. I am grateful they picked up all 3 for publication and find it pretty cool to see the pics and words in print.

This year had 3 great trips with Bren. Kesagami a couple times, a spring weekend up the North French and a fall overnighter up the Cheepas. Four other super outings were 5 days at Kesagami with Floatfishin, 5 days up the Cheepas with... Floatfishin, 5 days for the opener in May with Phishfinder here on the Moose and, a long awaited group trip to BC for sturgeon. On the BC trip I bested my PB sturgeon of 72 inches with a 73 incher. lol. I'll finish with some of the better fish pics.

cheeptrip14.jpg

cheeptrip12.jpg

cheeptrip03.jpg

mysturg5.jpg

mysturg1.jpg

kesa-july18.jpg

kesa-july17.jpg

mayfish-01.jpg

Next year's 5 goals are a new PB pike, a new PB brook trout, 3 new species, increase the catch average, and, more days out with the family.

2007 was awesome. Sad to see it come to an end. That'll be it for awhile as the deep freeze, total boredom and insanity set in.

FREEZE UP 2007

First real ice on the river came November 20th.

commute08.jpg

Because of some bad weather people like me who commute back and forth from mainland Moosonee to the island of Moose Factory for work, were left no option but to stick with the boats for our daily transpo. The helicopter stayed on ground.

Some ice was flowing on the river with much slush on top of it because of the snow. The incoming tide at this point was holding water from flowing outward to James Bay.

commute07.jpg

commute06.jpg

Tom Hookimaw, my trusted driver and one of many good fellows who taxi on the river, is often one of the last people out of his boat in the fall and one of the last guys off the thin ice on the river in the spring. He's gotten my butt home or to work a number of times when all others have shut down. Some might think him nuts, I think of him as a buddy who really knows his work.

commute09.jpg

It was a slow ride getting through this stuff and around the sandbar for the 2 miles or so.

commute10.jpg

commute05.jpg

Rounding the tip of Charles Island Provincial Park.

On one of the two day trips home from work I took the ride with two new young doctors and a dentist. Newcomers I can only imagine find the way things work up here interesting, and maybe even challenging.

This shot inside the taxi boat.

commute12.jpg

After two days boat commuting the river was shut down. The 22nd I was forced to take to the air each day to get to work. After 4 years of whining, last spring when I did not show up to work because the commercial passenger helicopter was grounded but the other regional hospital's charter helicopter company was not; (with a clinic full of patients in wait for me and my boss wondering where I was as she knew choppers were flying) I sent a letter to the boss and CC'd the CEO outling the unfairness of present day policies and the risks and costs I take annually during the freeze and break periods. Couple days later policy was changed and from them on I've been able to enjoy free rides to and from work. It adds up to good savings when a daily return trip used to run $70. All our commuting employees now have the same benefits.

Morning one at the take off....

commute01.jpg

Looking north toward the Bay while over Moose Factory.

commute04.jpg

And later in the day returning home, looking bayward again.

commute11.jpg

From the 23rd until present the land and waters have been set to deep freeze. It's all happenning quick this year, as with little snow but temps at night plummetting to -20 to -30C and daily temps staying in the negative teens, I believe the first bootleggers were crossing the river by the 26th and the skidoo taxis by the 27th or 28th. These folks take alternate routes around open water, but they're always quick to find a first safe path as their livelihood depends on it. I stayed in the chopper a little longer snapping pics...

commute14.jpg

The main channel in front of Moosonee, still a little thin.

commute13.jpg

These 3 pics are all looking south west and into the setting sun.

commute15.jpg

Moose Factory can be seen on the left. The Island lies about halfway across the expanse of the river and is home to about 2000 residents, most of whom are Cree. The town is the second oldest established (first english in Ontario) in Canada and historically has been a major trading post for the Hudson Bay Company and the fur trade. The first Hudson Bay Company employee Charles Bly was referred to as a factor. Because the township was named Moose Township it became fitting that the town is today known as Moose Factory. Below is an old picture. What blows me away is the water level I see in this shot. Today, only at break up would the water even come close to that. Back then ships could land here, today... impossible.

Moose_Factory,_Ontario,_circa_1868-1870.jpg

commute16.jpg

A picture of the hospital and much of the housing for it's employees. My end of town. Moosonee can be seen way off in the distance.

commute21.jpg

This one is of partly the hospital but mostly the elementary school district which meshes with the hospital district. Together they make up about a sixth of the town I'd think.

commute18.jpg

Moose Factory as a whole. Looking north east.

commute17.jpg

Moose Factory. Looking south west. Hospital at the far end out of view.

The river kept on with the freezing process and two of the last shots I managed were these. The one morning I left the camera behind I missed what would of been the most awesome landing shot of the helicopter on the pad in Moose Factory during a red sunrise. It had snowed and the dust was kicking into a cloud under the chopper... man, I was kicking myself.

Anyway, by yesterday the ride was over and the first run on the skidoo across the river to work was in the books. Onto winter....

commute20.jpg

commute19.jpg

Another excellent report Moose. Thank you for taking the time to write up all 3 and include pictures, just amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the information and pictures you provided regarding Moose Factory, I know have a little better idea of the area.

Congrats on achieving your fishing goals for this year! After your review last year, I did start a fishing journal but must admit that it is not nearly as impressive as yours, thanks for the idea :)

Best of luck to you in the 2008 season!

WOW..What an amzing fishing report & pics of big,big fish !!!!!! :worthy::worthy: a fantastic veiw of your area & scenery shots, :w00t::D and the great tour of moose factory area....thanks for sharing you have the best fishing reports i have ever seen !!!!....thanks very much for sharing all your 07 experiences !!!...what a wintery wonderland way up there, :clapping::whistling: people should go up your way to see for them selves what winter is really like with those very cold temps....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Next year Float... next year we'll get revenge on the big pike. I hope (gulp)

Wayne, they're lining up... but she's gone probably never to return, and likely bruised and battered after a trip up the coast. lol.

Moe, clinical, outpost and ER RN.

Thanks all.

Moose, that was by far the best read of the year !!

I saw it here last night, but waited till 4 this morning to go thru it. The house was nice & quiet, the coffee was hot and I sat here and totally enjoyed every word of it, infact I read several sections twice to be sure I got it all.

Thanks !!