Prop Question

lew

Hey guys, question for the prop experts.....My motor is a 2001 Merc, 90 HP 4 stroke.

I bought it new from Boatland Canada, but when I went to pick it up, it didn't have a prop and they said it was on order and I'd have to wait another couple days. Seemed strange but not a big deal and I picked it up a couple days later, but after 2 weeks all the paint came off the prop, leaving it just the bare aluminum color.

Didn't make any difference to me, I figured just a poor primer was used and the motor ran excellent anyways, so who cares what color the prop was.

Anyways, this past summer I hit a rock and messed up the blades, so I took it into a local prop repair shop near Buckhorn to get it fixed, but when I went back to get it a few days later, he'd painted it white, rather than Mercury black.

I asked why he didn't paint it black, and he said that all YAMAHA props are white <_< hmmmmmm

I know it's my original prop because of a couple distinguishing marks on the hub.

He claims he can tell it's a Yamaha because the blades are sort of elongated, whereas the blades a Mercury prop are more of a rounded shape, yet either one will fit on a Merc shaft.

Take a look at the blades in the picture and tell me what you think......is it a Merc or Yamaha prop ?? And if it is indeed a Yammy, would I notice any difference going with a Merc prop ??

I'm wondering if Boatland stuck a Yammy prop on because maybe they didn't have the correct Merc prop ??...........I've heard alot of rather un-pleasant stuff about them in the last couple years and now it's got me curious, not that I could do anything about it now.

I honestly can't remember the size or pitch of this one, but the boat get's up and goes great and top speed is about 46-47 mph

Cnv0979.jpg

A fellow I know came by my place couple years ago pleased as could be with his new 90 Mercury. He told me he preferred to buy North American products..He wasnt too pleased when I told him the motor he just purchased was a Yamaha. I chuckled to myself. He still got a good product. :rolleyes:

Strange the dealer would go to all the trouble to scrap off white paint and repaint as I would guess the Yammie prop would be same cost as a Merc prop.

Could understand if he was passing off a cheap aftermarket as a Merc prop.

My original prop with apx 100 hrs is still good except for the scratches from my anchor chain :blush: and boat ramp :blush: and ..... :blush:

Sounds like it works well though . I get 43-44 mph on my 1775 Lund classic with a 2006 90 hp 4 st merc

Tinbanger

Could have been a repaired aluminum prop?

I have had repaired aluminum props have the paint come off before.

I think if you run long distances over shallow sand flats, you can also get the sandblasting effect but more noticeable on the tips.

If performance is good with an aluminum prop, might want to consider SS Lew, I think you'll see gains in every aspect, holeshot, acceleration and top end.

Charles

Lew,

I'm no expert, but the blade shape does look very much like a Yamaha. Chris X should know, he is the mechanic. Is there not a merc number on the hub?

Remembeer me asking you on here about the paint coming off my older Merc prop last year? You told me yours was stripped clean....so I stripped mine as well. Sure looks a lot better than the streaks of missing paint.

I would love to try a SS prop out to see if I notice any benefits before buying one. I have a 1987 90 HP Merc 2 stroke. 13 x 19P I believe.

If performance is good with an aluminum prop, might want to consider SS Lew, I think you'll see gains in every aspect, holeshot, acceleration and top end.

Charles

I would love to try a SS prop out to see if I notice any benefits before buying one. I have a 1987 90 HP Merc 2 stroke. 13 x 19P I believe.

Yup, I understand that performace is improved with an SS prop because it's not flexing like an aluminum, but it's also ALOT more $$$$ is it not ??

On a large motor, 200-300 HP, I spose you could see a big improvement, but I wonder if it would warrant the extra expense for a 90 HP. Can't really see an extra couple hundred dollars to only gain a couple MPH ??

I was just wondering if I would see any difference going with the rounder blades of a Merc prop, as compared with the elongated Yammy blades. There must be some difference created by the different shape of the blades ??

hmmmmm, things to think about now that my fish'n season has ended ?? :thumbsup_anim:

Lew, a stainless prop on your motor will improve most things about your boat. Better take off, slow rpm on plane, better speed, better fuel economy. The high price for stainless is worth it if you plan on using it allot.

You should try and keep your aluminum prop painted. With out paint the aluminum will corrode much faster.

The rounder blades are best alround type. Your yammy prop is really good at forward but is less useful in reverse.

A rounded prop gives better brakes and reverse.

CX

Thanks CX, that's interesting info.

This prop is in good shape again now since the re-build, and has a new coat of paint (white) but when it's time to buy another one, I'll have a look at the SS. I put ALOT of miles & hours on the boat and if the price is right it may be worthwhile.

My boat is stored up near Peterboro and I can't remember the size of the prop, but how much extra speed would I be looking at with SS, roughly........I currently get about 47 MPH @ 5700 RPM

And what sorta $$$$ are we talking for SS ??............ball park $$$$

Hi Lew. if you look on ebay, which is where you will find the best deal, you should be able to get a nice Merc or Yamaha stainless for around $150 + shipping which is way better than the $600 deal suggested price :D

Find out the pitch and diameter of the prop before you go looking though. There are many models out there and only take ones that have not been re built or dinged.

You should see around 3 or more MPH with a stainless and don't worry about having a Yamaha prop on there, I ran them on my 90hp and they are good props and very fast as well.

Good Luck

JP

Here's a link to ebay

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Boat-Parts...ListingItemList