Any Cigar Afficienados???

I used to smoke and when people I knew came back from Cuba I'd get some Monte Cristo's, #1 or #2's worked for me. Very reasonable to buy them like that. Tried quite a few, but I guess I wasn't hardcore because I'd never pay $20 for a puff. I'd grab the odd five bucker from a local cigar shop. I do miss the odd cigar. I said I'd smoke a cigar after I had quit for two years (a few months from now), but I'm not going to (scared) :wacko: . Maybe after ten. :D

I hope to be sitting on the boathouse deck Dec. 22 around 9PM overlooking ice formations at Sandy Cove on Lake Simcoe while smoking a Cohiba and sipping imported liquirs. It's an annual family get together and the only time I get a chance to sample some of the finer things in life.

-Brian

Cohibas and Cristos are great to pick up when your down in Cuba but its tough to tell the difference between the good fakes and real things.....In some cases the fakes are better then the real thing!

I like Illusiones, they are not overly pricey but have a great body taste.

Dave whats the word these days......When you commin out here to fish??

I took up smoking the occasional cigar after I quit smoking cigarettes after my boy was born. Sure they stink but on the plus side it cloaks the stench of skunk I so regularly get while fishing. I smoke them much more regularly in the summer, nothing beats sprawling out in the sun with a big frosty mug of beer and a cigar, enveloped in billowing clouds of smoke. Not all that particular, so long as the beer is cold and the cigar is lit you're golden in my books. I can't honestly say I can really appreciate the difference between a Cheap Century Sam and and a Quality Cohiba, despite having had both on numerous occasions.

Edited by Weeds

cohibas are nice,but im cheap i smoke cheap nothin beats a good ol pom pom,or a tin of henri wintermans cafe creme.the most recent fishing smoke is captain black sweets they are sweet and smooth but not sure if they qualify as a cigar.

CanoeCoho.jpg

For day to day, there's a place in the States called JR Tobacco, great deals on non-Cubans. I like the Honduran Hoyo's in a double corona, there's another Honduran, Belinda which is a nice cheap churchill.

For Cubans, Belinda coronas or Monty 4's. But on extra special days, Hoyo De Monterrey Double Corona, THE most sublime cigar made.

My dad has a few Opus X's I bought him a few years ago, and they were nice but not that special.

Cigars..... :)

I enjoy a nice Cohiba or a Nat Sherman once in while....

Prefer to smoke a pipe, preferably a Peterson's (Kildare or Petersons system premium 314) loaded with either Frog Morton or Sleepy Hollow.....

Only thing better than a pipe while fishing, is a pipe (or cigar) with a dram of 10 year old Ardbeg or 15 year old Bruichladdich :) Needless to say the last two only happen once in a while (and not in a boat or the house).. LOL

I remember I think it was W5 that did a story on Cuban CIgars, and found that even some of the cigars bought right from the manufacturer in Cuba were knockoffs......

I smoked cigars for a couple of years after I gave up cigarettes but had to quit the cigars also.I liked the Meharis Agio and the occasional Macanudo.The sure keep the bugs away in the summer but watch getting the smoke or Tobacco on you lures.BTW deer hunting success is much better without the stogie!

Joe

Where do I start????

Favourite brand hands down - MonteCristo - #2, #3, #4, #5 (Cuban of course)

Bolivar Robustos

Cohiba Siglo VI

Romeo & Julietta Churchills

H Upmann Robustos and Churchills

Dominican Republic:

Leon Jimenez Torpedos

MonteCristo Robustos

Davidoff Special 'T' and 'R'

Davidoff Short 'T'

etc.. etc... etc...

I've been smoking cigars since I was 16 (over 20 years). Trust me, there is a big difference between the banana leaves you buy on the street in Cuba and the real things.

One of my fave things to do is grab an extra large Timmies and a stogie and hit the road (I have clients all over Ontario so I get to do this quite a bit) and listen to Frank, Al, Tony, and Dino for a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, for a quickie: the Mehari Brasil (the little dry Dutch cigars in the green box). They are great for fishing and golfing because if you drop it, it's no big deal and it's only a 10 minute commitment.