2007 Scugog Ice Fishing (w Pics)

Entropy

Dec 12 (evening) Checked the ice, there is still 2 inches but with a driveway ice scraper it only took four hits to break through. Very soft ice. When I stepped out on to the ice it definitely cracked under me. Stay off. Danger.

It was so warm last night I was only wearing a t-shirt when chopping fire wood.

The driveway was more than a little mushy, it has defrosted!

I asked my neighbor 2 questions.

#1 Do you think this ice will melt?

Answer –> No, not completely.

#2 When do you think it will be safe to venture out onto the lake?

Answer –> Sometime during the first 2 weeks of January.

At lest we are not complaining about shoveling the snow.

I actually thought about throwing some grass seed down, with the next 5 days being warm and wet, it would likely sprout.

18 Days 13.5 Hours

Entropy

Waiting for the ice this year is like watching grass grow ..... Pass the Fertilizer !

Edited by Entropy

but out of fear of breaking off on Muskies

Bill,what do you mean? Since there is a chance of an accidental hook up with a musky you would not fish the BOG?

We up here have the same chance of doing this on Couch,but still fish it.Hooks are too small to even worry about hurting the big guys.

Just my 2 cents.

I,ll be out on the bog once this year.Friendly meet up with some of the byes.

I love the bog icefishing and i have had my share of HUGE musky come out of a hole... thanks fo the report.. things are behind this yea 4 sure... i remember years ago i was icefishing there by the first week of dec when it was allowed,,,last year i found was slow in my fav spot but in previous years limits of 1-6 lb eyes were quite common

cliff...

what the??????? thats like saying i dont want to go ice fishing on simcoe in case i might hook a smallie, i dont understand that musky bill,your chances are all the same no matter where you go,in over 20 years of fishing the bog,i have only caught maybe 5 musky while ice fishing and none came to any harm,you just have to relese them IMEDIATELY,so there eyes dont freeze or the stree level kept down....i think you would be ok to fish the bog,we do quite well there sometimes in the first few weeks of jan,if we have ice...lol

The chances of hooking Smallies on Cook's Bay through the ice just doesn't compare to the chances of hooking a Musky on Scugog through the ice.

I know of LOTS of Muskies that were caught or broken off ice fishing Scugog, BUT I can only think of ONE report where someone actually caught a Smallie, & it was on Simcoe, not Cook's.

For me, it's not worth the aggravation, so I'll avoid it.

Personally, I don't think Scugog should have an ice season, but that's another topic, & MY opinion.

I've only broken off on one Musky in my life, & I was sick for days about it, so no, I don't feel very comfortable fishing The Bog through the ice with light line.

:dunno::rolleyes:

OK then :rolleyes: .....whatever.......a bit anal about the muskies or what? :unsure:

Is it just muskies your like that with, or all fish?

Sinker

funny, before they changed the regs. we fished the bog's first ice for walleye and never saw a ski hooked

but went looking for ice crappie on cooks bay and found small mouth in all the textbook spots for winter crappie....didn't find the crappie though

so we quit looking for crappie cause we didn't want to hurt the bass

......weird how that works......

I think the simcoe crappie for to florida for the winter

Dec 14 (evening)

Was able to walk on the ice, it is getting thinner and softer. I’d say there is only 1.5 inches of ice on it now. I’m sure the ice thickness, or presence f ice for that matter across the different parts of the lake. Honestly I’m surprised it held me, and I did not get wet....

It only took 3 hits with the driveway scraper (3-4 inch blade) before I broke through.

No canoeing tonight, well, not at least in front of my house. I would think local creeks would be flowing (haven’t checked though).

16 Days 14.75 Hours

Entropy

Thanks, setting those up are always fun,.... and easy too.

Just point into the sun a bit and do a little this and a little that...

Here are a couple other nice ones from last summer.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/pattonglen/pat54.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/pattonglen/pat53.jpg

(all rights reserved, and are the sole property of "Entropy", )

Dec 19 (evening)

Still no ice.

11 Days 10 hours

Do you think there will be ice, come Jan 1 ?

Entropy

Daytime highs for Peterborough will be around 0 to 6C from now until the end of the year. Night lows will be below freezing. Jan 2nd...back up to double digits!

Not looking good for ice.

Here's the 14 day outlook for the area...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/1...36.htm?CAON0536