Mustang Float Suits - NF

ccmtcanada

Hey everyone...Bly and I do not have float suits right now, but we are working on getting some. I have a line on a great deal....2 complete suits (Jackets and pants are separate), but I wanted some opinions here first, but they are not the classic Mustang float suits I see everyone else wearing.

They are the Ice Rider series by Mustang. Here's a list of the features....

The complete info can be found here....

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/resources/d...g_30May2006.pdf

==================================================================

Ice Rider™ snowmobile suits are stylish, warm, built for total mobility and designed with rugged and durable materials so your suit will last even the most demanding rides.

1 | Triple layer system

Ice Rider™ by Mustang Survival is snowmobile apparel designed to withstand the harshest of environments while providing the comfort, fit and freedom of movement required for riding.

Fundamental to Ice Rider's performance is the combination of the outer shell, AirSoft™ foam, and interior lining.

2 | Outer shell construction

Ice Rider is made with heavy-duty windproof and weather-resistant materials designed to stand up to the rigors of extreme weather and demanding rides.

3 | Insulating layer

Mustang Survival's unique AirSoft™ closed-cell foam is the insulating layer in each Ice Rider product. The foam traps air for flotation, provides warmth, and offers excellent protection from hypothermia in the event of accidental cold-water immersion. The AirSoft™ foam system is a complete lining, glued at the seams. This provides a protective layer, making the suit water resistant.

4 | Interior lining

Mesh lining provides comfort, quick drainage and improved air circulation to assist moisture evaporation.

5 | Collar design

Each Ice Rider jacket features a 'stand-up' collar design providing unsurpassed protection against wind and cold.

6 | Fleece collar

Anti-pill fleece lining is standard on all stand-up collars* and hand warmer pockets. *(Not available on Kid's Jacket)

7 | Reflective piping 3M™ Scotchlite™ reflective piping delivers greater night-time visibility and safety when riding.

8 | Double storm flap

The insulated snap-down storm flap* provides protection from both wind and snow. *(Not available on Kid's Jacket)

9 | Venting

Strategic pit zipper ventilation (additional chest vents on the V2) increases air circulation and moisture evaporation.

10 | Drainage

A drainage system found along the perimeter of both the jacket and pants allows for the rapid release of water after the rider has been rescued or has self-rescued from icy cold water.

=====================================================================

Does anyone have these products? I have no idea what the main differences are between these and those one piece suits everyone has. One key difference I'm assuming is that the one piece suits are approved floatation devices, while the snowmobile ones are not....although they have video of how these will keep you afloat...designed so that the person is upright in the water so that getting out is easier.

The price for two complete suits is well under $300 for the both of them...just wondered what ppl think of this....

Thanks!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Hey everyone...Bly and I do not have float suits right now, but we are working on getting some. I have a line on a great deal....2 complete suits (Jackets and pants are separate), but I wanted some opinions here first, but they are not the classic Mustang float suits I see everyone else wearing.

They are the Ice Rider series by Mustang. Here's a list of the features....

The complete info can be found here....

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/resources/d...g_30May2006.pdf

==================================================================

Ice Riderâ„¢ snowmobile suits are stylish, warm, built for total mobility and designed with rugged and durable materials so your suit will last even the most demanding rides.

1 | Triple layer system

Ice Riderâ„¢ by Mustang Survival is snowmobile apparel designed to withstand the harshest of environments while providing the comfort, fit and freedom of movement required for riding.

Fundamental to Ice Rider's performance is the combination of the outer shell, AirSoftâ„¢ foam, and interior lining.

2 | Outer shell construction

Ice Rider is made with heavy-duty windproof and weather-resistant materials designed to stand up to the rigors of extreme weather and demanding rides.

3 | Insulating layer

Mustang Survival's unique AirSoftâ„¢ closed-cell foam is the insulating layer in each Ice Rider product. The foam traps air for flotation, provides warmth, and offers excellent protection from hypothermia in the event of accidental cold-water immersion. The AirSoftâ„¢ foam system is a complete lining, glued at the seams. This provides a protective layer, making the suit water resistant.

4 | Interior lining

Mesh lining provides comfort, quick drainage and improved air circulation to assist moisture evaporation.

5 | Collar design

Each Ice Rider jacket features a 'stand-up' collar design providing unsurpassed protection against wind and cold.

6 | Fleece collar

Anti-pill fleece lining is standard on all stand-up collars* and hand warmer pockets. *(Not available on Kid's Jacket)

7 | Reflective piping 3Mâ„¢ Scotchliteâ„¢ reflective piping delivers greater night-time visibility and safety when riding.

8 | Double storm flap

The insulated snap-down storm flap* provides protection from both wind and snow. *(Not available on Kid's Jacket)

9 | Venting

Strategic pit zipper ventilation (additional chest vents on the V2) increases air circulation and moisture evaporation.

10 | Drainage

A drainage system found along the perimeter of both the jacket and pants allows for the rapid release of water after the rider has been rescued or has self-rescued from icy cold water.

=====================================================================

Does anyone have these products? I have no idea what the main differences are between these and those one piece suits everyone has. One key difference I'm assuming is that the one piece suits are approved floatation devices, while the snowmobile ones are not....although they have video of how these will keep you afloat...designed so that the person is upright in the water so that getting out is easier.

The price for two complete suits is well under $300 for the both of them...just wondered what ppl think of this....

Thanks!

I wouldnt recommend a 2 piece for ice fishing, if that is what you guys are planning to do. It only provides ample room for additional water to get in that much faster.

I love my one piece Helly Hanson.

If it really is a great deal, then it is better than nothing, BUT if you look around, you can find good deals on 1 piecers.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by nofrills

BUT if you look around, you can find good deals on 1 piecers.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for your reply...I have been looking...I only found one that is local....and that one piece was used for $350. I'll keep looking though....this deal is 2 complete suits for $250....brand new...tags still on the items.

I wouldnt recommend a 2 piece for ice fishing, if that is what you guys are planning to do. It only provides ample room for additional water to get in that much faster.

I love my one piece Helly Hanson.

If it really is a great deal, then it is better than nothing, BUT if you look around, you can find good deals on 1 piecers.

Just my 2 cents

Not experienced with ice fishing but have done lots of snowmobiling and always found the 2 piece suits to be at least as warm as the one piece and usually better, as long as they have the Farmer John bottoms (with the bib). Otherwise the wind blows up yer back. The added benny was that if the day was relatively warm we ditched the top for a while or just wore a lighter jacket. The other angle is that when the weather's nice® you might only want to wear the jacket.

If you don't care about the flotation device approval and the price is right I don't see how you can go wrong. I suppose the one piece rig might be a little easier to swim in if you did take a dive but yer gonna be thinking positive, right?

JF

No problem.

That $350 suit has to be a higher end suit.

My concern with 2 piecers is that the legs will fill up with water quickly. Could be wrong though.

That kind of deal is hard to pass up though. You definately won't find a 1 piece for near that.

I suppose that as long as you know the conditions of the ice you are on, you should be fine, keeping in mind that accidents do happen. I don't do a lot of ice fishing, but there are many many people that go out with any floation what so ever, so you would be 1 up on those guys.

2 full suits for that price does indeed sound like a steal.

One thing though, are they Canadian approved?

I have a two piece set up, Mustang bomber jacket and Buoy o bouy bib pants. I purposefully bought over size bib pants and am very happy with the set up. I get plenty of flexibility with the 2 piece, the bib goes almost to my collar bone so my back stays warm.

I checked the Mustang site re survival times, 1 piece vs 2 piece and yes, the one piece will keep you alive longer, but not much.

CLiff, check out Cabella's for pricing. Might find better deals there?

HH

Cliff,

Sounds like a good deal for ice fishing and snowmobiling. The Ice Riders IS NOT APPROVED by Transport Canada as a personal floatation device in a watercraft.

Two years ago late Nov. my buddies and I were stopped by the OPP/MNR marine unit, my buddy had one of the Ice rider suits, and was advised by the officers that it was not approved. Fortuantely we had extra PFDs on board and he let it pass.

Perhaps if you had a couple of PFDs in the boat while wearing these, you should be OK.

John

I have had both and from my experience I can tell you this. If you are going

to be open air fishing you do not want a 2 pc suit. Some one replied to this

thread that a 2pc is fine for snowmobiling and that maybe true...but if you

get stuck out on extra chilly day...or worse a raw wind...The cold will get up

your back and make things unenjoyable.

Now if you are going to have some type of shelter I would recommend a 2pc

hands down. If you are out braving the elements get a 1pc...you will not be

disappointed.

The other article of clothing I would recommend for the cold weather is a

turtleneck polarfleece shirt. This has nothing to do with safety...but I don't go

out on the ice without wearing mine.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have the 2 pc. Mustang Ice Rider set.

Great for inside a portable hut, usually just wear a sweater and take the coat off.

I also find that most times even outside I'm running around without the coat, just the pants and a good sweater.

The bib pants come up your back pretty far and the front bib is tall too.

A one piece would be better for those who brave the outside when it's 30 below but I hide in the little hut when it gets like that. Woosie....

Hookset.

P.S. that's a hell of a good price you got for both.

Edited by Hookset

Hi Cliff,

I have a two piece Mustang and I like the flexibility of the jacket and pants (bib style) being separate. The downside that might get me to convert to a one piece is the lack of a hood. When the wind blows a hood is real nice! Quite often I find it too warm. Look at the ice fishermen, in many cases they will be sitting with the top half of a one piece rolled down around their waist. If you can do without the hood sounds like a deal to me.

I don't know about 2 piece suits but I own a Helly Hansen 1 piece suit that I find is amazing, very warm and I like it even better then some of the mustang suits I have tried on. I got it at Lebaron for $264 I believe and I love the suit and I do a lot of ice fishing! My Helly Hansen is VERY WARM, is a Bright Orange all around VERY VISIBLE, Has a whistle, reflective stripes, a hood for those really windy days, and even suspenders to hold up the suit when I want to take the top part off when its too hot! Great Floater Suit and I recommend it!

Here is the link and it lists all the features, http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_fall_07/clothing...nsen_lectra.pdf

photo-695.jpg

Edited by Minnow

are the helly hansens coast guard approved now? i don't think they were for a while.

the suspenders are a nice feature on the 1pc. i wish my mustang had them.

whichever way you do decide to go, go for one size larger to leave room underneath for layering up in cold weather.

Hi Cliff,

I have a two piece Mustang and I like the flexibility of the jacket and pants (bib style) being separate. The downside that might get me to convert to a one piece is the lack of a hood. When the wind blows a hood is real nice! Quite often I find it too warm. Look at the ice fishermen, in many cases they will be sitting with the top half of a one piece rolled down around their waist. If you can do without the hood sounds like a deal to me.

I agree on the flexibility part, particularly if Cliff & Bly want these primarily for boating. I suspect they're gonna be going sans pants a lot of the time.

Two other points. I've seen separate windproof hoods that can be used with a balaclava if it's really nasty out. Give some thought to the wicking type of undergarment so the sweat that occurs, as it inevitably will with warm gear, is kept off your skin. If a cold breeze sneaks inside when your skin is wet it can get very uncomfortable very fast. There's also the shock when you finally take off yer jacket in a brisk spring/fall breeze.

In fairness to those who say a one piece is warmer - it's just remotely possible there have been improvements since I bought my last one piece snowsuit in about 1975. :rolleyes:

JF

I agree on the flexibility part, particularly if Cliff & Bly want these primarily for boating. I suspect they're gonna be going sans pants a lot of the time.

Two other points. I've seen separate windproof hoods that can be used with a balaclava if it's really nasty out. Give some thought to the wicking type of undergarment so the sweat that occurs, as it inevitably will with warm gear, is kept off your skin. If a cold breeze sneaks inside when your skin is wet it can get very uncomfortable very fast. There's also the shock when you finally take off yer jacket in a brisk spring/fall breeze.

In fairness to those who say a one piece is warmer - it's just remotely possible there have been improvements since I bought my last one piece snowsuit in about 1975. :rolleyes:

JF

Hey John,

Maybe Cliff and Bly like going without pants......... :whistling:

Thanks for your reply...I have been looking...I only found one that is local....and that one piece was used for $350. I'll keep looking though....this deal is 2 complete suits for $250....brand new...tags still on the items.

Your crazy if you don't grab that deal...

Infact if you decide against it...please PM me

I Prefer the 2 Piece...Its way more comfortable to me but thats personal prefferance.

The single suits can tend to be to warm on accasion, and feel a bit bulky to me?

They will both keep you a float and save your life if you go through the Ice, or fall in the water.

Most 2 peices are Actualy more expensive then the singles....not sure why that is but, they are?

Like I said if you turn the deal down, shoot me a PM Bud.

Go one piece.If you are buying it for saftey as well as warmth then the one piece is the way to go.There is a reason why the Coast Guard wear one piece suits.If you look around you can still find some Natilus suits for sale.I think that Fishing world still carries them.I have Natilus 1000 series that I bought for 299.00 and its a great suit.It also has the suspenders wich is a great feature.Just shop around.

I bought my Nautilus one piece a couple of years ago at the spring fishing show...think I paid 99.00 for it. I like it except it's made for people with LOOONNNG legs :):D , and mine aren't that long. It's a small and I'm still looking for a belt to hold them up. Other than that I like it. That being said, I also wouldn't mind a jacket on it's own for days not so cold.

Maureen

Thanks everyone...wow...lots of great responses here!

Truth is, I may ice fish 2 times this winter....this is more for fall fishing in our boat, where we will always have life jackets aboard and accessible. In order to outfit the both of us, we're looking at around $600. That's a more than we can swing right now. I figure if these will do for those days when it's -5C, then it'll be ideal for us.

Hmmm...decisions decisions....LOL.

well i have both Cliff, the one piece is warmer but it is a bit bulky, and does limit your mobility a bit it is only better for a fall through the ice if all your saftey straps (arms, waist legs) are cinched up. my 2 piece doesn;t have a hood but I am usually riding with a helmet I don't get cold in either, good boots, gloves and misty mountain underwear go a long way to keeping you warm,

My biggest problem with the one peice suits (at least the buoy o buoy ) was trying to take a leak you near had to strip the suit right off it has a big wind flap positioned in the bottom of the zipper, but it also has a hood for those windy days, cvan't really go wrong with either suit, it'll save your life when it has too