strong Can$/ weak US$ - any trips now look attractive?

scuro

With the Canadian dollar up 20% in the year has anyone looked to see where the buck can go farther this year? Here are a few ideas:

-some places offer prices in both Canadian and American dollars. Can you pay in American if they still use old spreads?

-any US trips looking a lot more attractive this year?

-Canadian establishments that only take US$?

-any place offering deals?

-other ways to stretch your steroid injected dollar?

Edited by scuro

Look at this, first place I look for Pike fishing in Manitoba has this disclaimer; "*NOTE: Rapidly fluctuating monetary values and exchange rates may play a role in the total price of your trip. Please call us for prices"

No prices given in Canadian dollars. If I think 8-10% discount prices actually look reasonable.

You got to remember its not the C$ rising its the US$ falling. Any benefits to Canadians will likely be lost as we will end up subsidizing the US economy by dropping the price of our exports to the US. It will be like the softwood lumber deal, as US gets more protective we will have to pay them to buy our products.

With the Canadian dollar up 20% in the year has anyone looked to see where the buck can go farther this year? Here are a few ideas:

-some places offer prices in both Canadian and American dollars. Can you pay in American if they still use old spreads?

-any US trips looking a lot more attractive this year?

-Canadian establishments that only take US$?

-any place offering deals?

-other ways to stretch your steroid injected dollar?

If you have a few bux laying around and no trips in mind, why not just buy the US dollars at the good price and put 'em in a US currency bank account until you find a trip that appeals to you. I think the dollar prognosticators are still suggesting a turn around by early spring (i.e. back to us paying a little something to buy US$). A friend of mine just bought $250,000 on spec. I wish I had that kinda chump change. I'm just happy to be able to set aside a few thou for our next trip to Mexico. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

You'll can come down to the Catfish Emporium and goat farm for a vacation here in Virgina. Heck we will even let you pay in Canadian dollars for all your expences except you have to use US dollars if you go in the local strip bars the wimmins don't like them cold loonies. We promise to bring the money back when we go to Lak Air next year.

Art

I figure all the outfitters that advertise all funds in USDs are singing a different tune now...

Outfitters and guides GCD. It used to be a "convenience" factor to charge in US dollar cuz most of the clients were from the US. It saved the clients from having to convert their money. I wonder just how convenient it is for them now?

If you have a few bux laying around and no trips in mind, why not just buy the US dollars at the good price and put 'em in a US currency bank account until you find a trip that appeals to you. I think the dollar prognosticators are still suggesting a turn around by early spring (i.e. back to us paying a little something to buy US$). A friend of mine just bought $250,000 on spec. I wish I had that kinda chump change. I'm just happy to be able to set aside a few thou for our next trip to Mexico. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

Hmmm ... well I thought I was being soooooo smart a year ago when I started hedging (by keeping half and half in both US and CDN currencies) after the big drop from 1.30 less than a year before that ... now I am losing painfully every day - unless of course you measure the total in US dollars ... but since I live (and spend most of my money) in Canada it really does feel like I shoulda sold US and bought CDN back at 1.15 ... or even at 1.05 - when everyone still questioned the rumors we were headed to par

Oh to have a crystal ball ... but yeah I would say it will have to find its way back to some sense of reason - sooner or later - the key now is not to get sucked in to the 'buy high' and 'sell low' mentality - I guess my oh-so-clever USD are gonna just have to sit there and 'mellow' for the foreseable future.

Oh to have a crystal ball ... but yeah I would say it will have to find its way back to some sense of reason - sooner or later - the key now is not to get sucked in to the 'buy high' and 'sell low' mentality - I guess my oh-so-clever USD are gonna just have to sit there and 'mellow' for the foreseable future.

If you don't need it right away there's probably no harm done. Probs are that there'll be another shift back early next year. You won't make anything but you probably won't lose a lot either. Think of those greenbacks as fine wine.

JF

I was down in Stowe a couple of weeks ago. There is a great flyfishing outfitter there that is selling off all their demo/guide rods for the season. The prices were good anyway, but the fact that I was looking at prices at par made it tough to not buy a whole bunch of stuff I didn't need ;)

In-stock items were a good deal as well: MSR prices on flyfishing equipment seem to be about 25% cheaper in the states, which meant 25% off for any canadian shopping there. If I needed a bunch of gear, I would be looking at a special trip to buy south of the border.

Hmmm...a trip? Well, lemme see....the Canadian Dollar is up 25% in recent times....so compared buying US money.....it's a deal. So, take my disposable income and I think I have about $24.56 dollars US!!!!

Ok...gotta go check some last minutes deals....

The C$ is not up its just less down.

Think of it as a horse race, we are cheering on our horse because it is 5 lengths ahead of the last place not because its in the lead. Our jockey Alberta has jumped off the horse and is carrying it and the last place Jockey who shall remain nameless as not to offend has started a fire on the track and is roasting his horse. Meanwhile EUro is running strong in the lead.