Full Moon Eyes

GbayGiant

Well it has been good fishing lately (finally water cooled down) What a great night, the moon was so bright no lights were necessary, the water didn't have a single ripple and I was the only boat on the water (at least where I was fishing) :) I haven't been skunked all year(knock on wood) I thought tonight was going to be the first, up until dark I hadn't a single bite so I was getting a little worried.

I had my trusty jig and minnow combo ( I rarely use anything else anymore it just works) sticking to the basics. I thought I had a snag, but then felt the head-shake of what ended up being another Northern 43" same length as the one in my avatar caught a couple weeks ago but much fatter caught near the same spot, could have been the same fish ? but she had the fall belly. This time she took me a good 10-15 min to get her in the net with the 8lbs mono leader on 10lbs power pro I didn't want to force it to much, the release shot came out good the timer one didn't come out at all, but off she goes into the moon rise.

gallery_322_261_104037.jpg

gallery_322_261_180464.jpg

Still no walleyes, my intended target, but the last 5 nights I've been out I caught my only fish at 8pm like clock work, it was 7pm and dark but I waited it out untill 8pm and the train decided to come through once again. The big one gave me the best walleye fight that I can remember, a good 10 min of tug a war, I thought it could be another pike knowing my luck. :lol: Unfortunately I gave her the club because she had a 1/4oz chartreuse jig in her tummy and I figured she would have died anyway, but nothing gets wasted and I'll be happy to eat this one.

I'm not a firm believer in the full moon thing, but it was good fishing tonight.

gallery_322_261_9561.jpg

22" released.

gallery_322_261_15434.jpg

30" and a 16" that I took home.

gallery_322_261_19772.jpg

And the dinner shot. I made sure to get the cheek meat of the big one, that's the one good thing about big walleyes.

gallery_322_261_22746.jpg

Edited by GbayGiant

Wonderful report and pics. I got up to let the cat out in the middle of the night last night and could not believe how bright it was out. I thought the porch light was left on. Wish I woulda been fishin out in it. Oh well, I can live vacariously through your report :lol:

We'll be heading up to close the cottage tomorrow so maybe we can get a bit of moonlit fishing in ourselves.

Joey

Nice post, thanks. Guess pike do eat at night, huh?

Yeah, I've only caught one other little pike that I can remember at night. Maybe she was confused because it was so bright outside with the full moon, and it was really low and the sun just went down ? the moon could have been the biggest factor and gave her a little better sight to see the bait ? I'm not sure but I'm starting to believe in this full moon phenomenon that people have been talking about:D .

It's weird though because a guy in another boat the next night caught a pike at 8pm, so I guess they do every once in a while.