Haliburton Smallmouth

Aaron Shirley

I had the pleasure of fishing with Jimmy Dodd in the Haliburton Lakes on the weekend. Chris, Bob and Jeff were also up there with us, and it was a blast. Thank you to Chris Giles and Jim Dodd for the invite at the last minute, I look forward to next year already. Good smallmouth fishing during the day, great company, cards and beer at night :thumbsup_anim: What else is better than that? How did you guys make out on Sunday???

I will mention though, that I showed up north dressed very lightly and wearing sandals. Holy crap was it cold up there at around 3 Degrees C.! It's a good thing I brought up insulated Kodiak boots and my Lund Gore Tex rainsuit! We live in the banana belt here in Southwestern Ontario!

I had a great time on the Haliburtons, and I would like to personally thank you for having me out on your boat Jimmy. It was nice to get out on someone elses boat for a change. It was a Husky Jerk, X-Rap, carolina rig, drop shot and tube jig bite up there. We got them anywhere from 6-feet to 25-feet deep along rocky and weedy shoreline. Here are some shots from the Haliburtons...

Jeff with a nice fish

hals3.jpg

Jim (left) caught this smallie on a jerk bait, and Jeff (right) jumps into the pic

hals4.jpg

Jimmy with a great northern bronzeback

hals5.jpg

Jim with a slightly bigger than typical sized bass for the Haliburton area in the fall

hal6.jpg

Jimmy Dodd pretty much put on a clinic for me on his favourite fall watersheds. Jim had a hot hand with several fish over 3, a few close to 4 and one close to 5-pounds. We all caught many fish from 3-pounds and under to keep us all busy.

Here are a bunch of nice pics from day two with Jim and his bass. Just awesome colouration on these true northern bronzebacks :thumbsup_anim:

hal7.jpg

hal8.jpg

hal9.jpg

hal10.jpg

hal11.jpg

hal12.jpg

hal13.jpg

Thanks again boys!

Aaron

I will mention though, that I showed up north dressed very lightly and wearing sandals. Holy crap was it cold up there at around 3 Degrees C.!

Havn't you heard, there's a handy little thing called weather forecasts, usually pretty accurate a day or two in advance. :D

Wicked report, and gorgeous fish Aaron!

Im jealous of your photo taking skills Aaron. Those are some crispy shots man.......and isnt it a delight getting to be a passenger once in a while. I dont get it often enough either.......but it is nice to just show up with the rod and tackle box once in a while! :thumbsup_anim:

Havn't you heard, there's a handy little thing called weather forecasts, usually pretty accurate a day or two in advance. :D

LOL, yeah I was a dumbass not to check the forecast that far north. I wasn't thinking.. but you can bet your biggest smallmouth I will be more prepared next trip!

Blaque, thanks, I do like to get creative with photos. The fall colours in the background make for some really nice shots :thumbsup_anim:

Good fishing!

Aaron