Fall Steelheading Starts With A Bang!

solopaddler

With the recent trips up to the cabin and the major issue of my friend Kareem being sick, today was the first chance I had to sneak out and do some steelheading.

As most of you guys know this is a sport of timing: they're migratory fish and a slave to weather and water conditions. Hit the river on the rise or hit it on the drop if you expect to have good success.

The internet is an amazing tool for steelheaders, there's just so much current info available. Graphs with your favourite river's flow rate in real time are right at the top of the valuable info heap...

After years of fishing this particular watershed and looking at the flow rates and weather forecast, I

knew today would be good.

It was :D .

I was by myself today, so really just have a fraction of the fish caught captured on film.

I hit this spunky little skipper on my 2nd drift. As it turns out it was by far the smallest of the day.

100_1740.jpg

Release

100_1750.jpg

The fight

100_1744-1.jpg

Another release

100_1743.jpg

A few more...

100_1742.jpg

100_1745.jpg

100_1748.jpg

100_1746.jpg

100_1747.jpg

Wish I had more pic's, but c'est la vie :) . At one point I had a gorgeous buck in the 10lb class right up to my feet and while I was fumbling with the camera it got off (it happens a lot when you're solo :( ).

The fish were very aggressive today and were caught mostly on large chartreuse and pink roe bags.

(choker bags as I like to call 'em :P ).

Also hit a bunch of fish on worms and one on a hot pink marabou jig near the end of my day when I was just fooling around.

Great morning and early afternoon to work the kinks out! :)

cheers, Mike

Wow!!! Great report Mike....awesome pics...been a while since I've seen pretty fish like that.

Next time your spidey senses tingle, let me know....LOL.

Thanks for the invite...(esp after reading this report), but hopefully we'll hook up at a later date.

Wow!!! Great report Mike....awesome pics...been a while since I've seen pretty fish like that.

Next time your spidey senses tingle, let me know....LOL.

Thanks for the invite...(esp after reading this report), but hopefully we'll hook up at a later date.

It's a long season Cliff, plenty of time to get out.

Wow , great day.....

By the way, thanks for being candid about the hinted tributary you guys are eluding to lol. Seriosuly though, this is my home stream , and us guys down on the south shore get a warm and fuzzy when seeing that it is respected and not "advertised" by our good friends to the north. Good to see it wont get any "internet abuse" on this forum.

Nice fish paddler, we wont have any rising or falling waters in my area for quite a while from teh looks of things