How Do You Test For Good Ice?

glen

How do you test for good ice? This is what i do.

I walk out on the ice where i know it is only about 2 feet of water then i drill a test hole. If the ice is less than 4" i go home. If it is over 4" i go out a little further and drill another hole. I stay away from current or other soft spots. If the ice is in poor condition or thin i drill lots of test holes.

What do you do to test for good ice?

Wait to see Uncle Buck on the ice. :w00t:

If it doesn't break, I may venture out a bit.

Better if there's someone with a snowmobile or atv on the ice to reasure me it's safe.

I don't like taking chances like that.

There's no fish worth losing your life over.

I ain't stupid, just a little crazy !!! :wacko:

Edited by Carp

Send a fat guy out first and watch. Waita minute.... with equal rights and all going on nowadays, send a fat "person" out first and see what....

JK!

Good advice above. I hear trappers use an ice spud and tap as they go (tapping the the spud that is, not like in showtunes) and they listen for changes. Drill test holes lots.

I start by finding safe shoreline then move on from there...Once at my access point to get on the ice I start by wacking the shoreline with a spud bar to make sure there is no air underneath the ice and to ensure I am not going to get a soaker on my first step :D ...I then proceed onto the ice with caution( Rope tied to waist via tree and I always hve my ice picks ready wip out incase of any mishap) and wack it a few more times as I make my out...I then drill a hole to confirm ice thickness...If it is over 4'', I will start fishing , if under 4'', then I usually pray for a safe tipppy toe back to shore..

Be safe out there guys!

Edited by tip-up

Don't own a spud, but generally when I get out, others have been out ahead of me. But, in the odd times we are there first, early ice, I use my axe to check the ice.

I nice solid whack, you can generally determine the safe areas. If it sounds like a dull thud, give it another few hits. If it sounds like a more solid higher pitched impact, go a few meters more, and hit it again.

You need to be able to identify that sound, and that takes experience.

Ummmmmmmm..........bin der, dun dat, got the soaker to prove it, lol.

I wait until I see heavier vehicles than mine out there . . . . even then I sit on shore, wating for somebody else to go out . . . I watch their tail lights, if they disappear, I go no further! I like to hear of at least 12" or more before I go out . . . . and I'm NEVER first! I suspect it will be mid February BEFORE you see this vehicle 6 klicks off Willow Beach! Anybody else care to estimate when (and IF) Simcoe will be safe right across?

gallery_77_129_7511.jpg

Send the wife out first, :blush:

I'm sorry to say, Paul has had an unfortunate accident and won't be around for awhile :lol::angel:

Actually, I usually walk a few paces behind him when we go :D

*note to self - update Paul's life insurance policy Monday*

Joey

It was rumoured that THIS was caused by a guy testing his new auger close to shore, real early, & then headed out to the deeper areas.

All of these guys didn't know about the 'test' holes, & found out the hard way that insurance won't cover stupidity... :P

Jan706010Small-1.jpg

Jan706009Small.jpg

That was Gilford, last January 7th.... B)

Everyone who is thinking about quinte be vary wary this year because the current from all the rain we've had is unreal and I really don't think its gonna change until next summer. I really don't think there is gonna be much ice this year here especially if this weather doesn't start cooperating. Be safe!!!!

I'm sorry to say, Paul has had an unfortunate accident and won't be around for awhile :lol::angel:

Actually, I usually walk a few paces behind him when we go :D

*note to self - update Paul's life insurance policy Monday*

Joey

We warned you Paul.

Ya hafta be careful whatch ya say round here. :lol: