What would you pay?

fishinfool

Can someone tell me roughly what this package is worth.

The motor is a 30 hp elpt 4 stroke and the ser # and info says it was built in 1999.

The skeg and prop is mint and the oil and filter is brand new.

The inside of the boat is a little rough and I would replace all the wood and carpet but I would just like to get an idea what the general consensus here is.

The boat was offered to me for $2000 with the trailer as well.

I don't know if the boat leaks or not but everything appears to be there including jackets, paddles, live well with aerator and bilge pump setup.

I will be trying to get it out onto a lake this coming weekend to see if and how well it runs and does or doesn't leak.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SS

Legend_Boat_001__Small_.jpg

Legend_Boat_002__Small_.jpg

Legend_Boat_003__Small_.jpg

Legend_Boat_006__Small_.jpg

for 2000.00 is seems like a good deal.. However.. it definitely seems underpowered.. all Legends are.. Unless you upgrade the motor, from their starting package price point..

Could always sell the motor and purchase something bigger..??...

Gerritt.

New oil and oil filter would make me wonder why someone would go to the trouble if they were planning on selling it.... Apart from that, it's a little hard to tell from the pictures but I would think $2000.00 is a heck of a good deal for a package that isn't even 10 years old. My boat and motor are almost 20 years old and I don't have a trailer and I wouldn't even consider selling it for $2000.00.

I'd snap that up in a second if the motor is as clean as you say. The motor alone is more than double that new, as for being underpowered, take it for a spin, with 2 people and kit in the boat I'd bet a box of donuts it will hum along at a good 25mph/40km/h.

New oil and oil filter would make me wonder why someone would go to the trouble if they were planning on selling it.... Apart from that, it's a little hard to tell from the pictures but I would think $2000.00 is a heck of a good deal for a package that isn't even 10 years old. My boat and motor are almost 20 years old and I don't have a trailer and I wouldn't even consider selling it for $2000.00.

The deal is that someone did not pay their bills at a certain marina and said marina sold the boat to a friend of a friend who used it for a bit and bored with it.

It has been sitting outside for two seasons, albeit covered up, the gas needs to be replaced, all the wood is rotten or rotting and it definitely needs some TLC which I am quite willing to give it.

The trolling motor has been removed from the front of the bow and the bracket is still there but the foot control has been cut off (badly I might add) and is lying on the floor in the front of the boat.

The boat has all the papers in order and looks to be on the up and up.

The skeg and prop are in perfect shape and other than a few dings and scratches on the cowl, the motor seems fine.

I was told to look for paint coming off the block, a sign that it has overheated but it is like new under the cowl.

I guess I will know better after the weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Stan

Have you seen that motor start??? If so and no weird noises out of it. It's a great deal. If you have somewhere to work on it during the winter you'll have fun dreaming of what it will feel like in the Spring.

It doesn't seem to be underpowered, a 30hp with a 14' it should zoom along.

Well the price may be ok,and within its range...but i will let you in on a big secret. :blink::unsure::dunno: ..i sold my v-149 widebody legend last year,and i will tell you why...its a nice wide boat ,lots of room but because of that it takes away from the DEEP-V...IT IS A VERY ROUGH RIDING BOAT...because the hull is basicly flat for most of the boat :huh: ,i didnt notice that when i bought the boat new...but it didnt take long to find out the hard way,so dont let me try to discourage you from buying it but i would like you to know this....i fish on lots of different waters and including the great lakes...so i need a good deep-v hull for those applications....but if you are going to stay on small waters you will prob be ok....so good-luck,and happy fishing

Well the price may be ok,and within its range...but i will let you in on a big secret. :blink::unsure::dunno: ..i sold my v-149 widebody legend last year,and i will tell you why...its a nice wide boat ,lots of room but because of that it takes away from the DEEP-V...IT IS A VERY ROUGH RIDING BOAT...because the hull is basicly flat for most of the boat :huh: ,i didnt notice that when i bought the boat new...but it didnt take long to find out the hard way,so dont let me try to discourage you from buying it but i would like you to know this....i fish on lots of different waters and including the great lakes...so i need a good deep-v hull for those applications....but if you are going to stay on small waters you will prob be ok....so good-luck,and happy fishing

Thanks so much for the info.

What size motor did you have on her and how did she run?

Looking at the pics now, I can see that she is pretty flat.

Oh well, I will know better after the weekend.

Do you have any pics and how easy was it to sell?

Sorry about the hundred questions but that is what I like about this site, info about everything under the sun. lol.

Stan

If it is indeed such a "rough ride" wouldn't that increase the odds of the boat (rivets) leaking with all the pounding it takes?

I have heard a lot of negatives on this board and a few others in regards to the Legend name.

I figure that if the boat is safe, I won't find anything as good for the money.

Perhaps that is not the case.

By the way BigCliff, what is a Pike Hull??

Edited by fishinfool

I'd buy it, pimp it, put it for sale, and buy a starcraft :)

Seriously, it looks like a good little boat. It should serve you well. That boat should scoot along just nice with a 30 on it. What is is reated for?

Take a close look at the gaskets in the engine. If they're black and dirty, it could have been overheated.

I'd pay 2 g's for that boat.

The deal is that someone did not pay their bills at a certain marina and said marina sold the boat to a friend of a friend who used it for a bit and bored with it.

It has been sitting outside for two seasons, albeit covered up, the gas needs to be replaced, all the wood is rotten or rotting and it definitely needs some TLC which I am quite willing to give it.

The trolling motor has been removed from the front of the bow and the bracket is still there but the foot control has been cut off (badly I might add) and is lying on the floor in the front of the boat.

The boat has all the papers in order and looks to be on the up and up.

The skeg and prop are in perfect shape and other than a few dings and scratches on the cowl, the motor seems fine.

I was told to look for paint coming off the block, a sign that it has overheated but it is like new under the cowl.

I guess I will know better after the weekend.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Stan

That doesn't sound right. Wouldn't they have to have a lien on the boat in order to take possession of it for unpaid bills. I wouldn't expect a marina to have a lien on the boats that are stored or repaired there. I am not sure what the boat is worth, but the story sounds a little suspect.

With a good floor about $4500. If it runs ok and is in reasonable shape I'd buy it. $2000 is a steal. You can easily turn this boat over a profit if you find you don't like it.

30 hp on that boat is definately not underpowered. I have a 30 hp on my heavy full floor 14.5' tiller and it jumps up on plane and runs at 43 kmh/26 mph WOT.

If you suspect there is something fishy then call the boat licence number in to the authorities and find out if its been reported stolen.

It is a semi v hull boat, very stable, you could stand two full grown men on the side of my boat and you couldn't get it to draw water. It handles very well and I have had it out on lake O and Erie in some pretty big waves with no fear. It is a very comfortable boat to fish out of and gets up on plane very quickly and will stay there at about 15 mph. My boat is 17.5' and with a 55 on it will do about 32 mph.

Down side, in 2' white caps you are going to get pounded if you try to run it up on plane, so you lower your speed and adjust your trim to keep the bow down and all is good.

Buy it, if you don't like it, sell it in the spring for 3 grand.

I sold my brothers boat for him, same model but older with a 2 stroke Johnson 15 h.p. (old) for 2500 bucks.

She would plane out with us 2 fatties in it. But you won't be using it as a ski boat.

His was a tiller tho'.

For that price, don't sweat the small stuff. As long as the hull is solid and she doesn't leak you can't lose.

Yer' talking 2 grand here. You don't get diddly squat for that price so worrying about ride quality is kinda moot.

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset