Garmin GPSMAP76

Uncle Buck

I have a similar problem with my Lowerance Globalmap 7200 Goran. I don't lose the signal totally, but I often lose it partially, and can only see parts of the map. It disappeares on it's own, or I can zoom in or out and fix it.

I thought it unusual too, but asked the same question here a couple months back and was told by several members that it's a normal thing...... Basically just the processor trying to catch up to the unit.

Funny thing though, I get the worst reception on Stoney Lake.......could it be something to do with all the granite ?? :dunno:

Here is a GPS discussion forum on exactly this topic.

The Garmin 60 and 76 Cx and CSx series are the only Garmin handhelds that have the SiRF chipset. The most important feature of a GPS to me is reception. If I can't hold a lock here in the dense wooded Allegheny Mountains of west central Pennsylvania, then the game is over. With this in mind, the SiRF is absolutely worth it to me.

i found there were certain spots that i lost signal consistently with that unit. but move a few feet and its back in business. never more than a minor inconvenience in my experience. ive been happy with it especially considering i got it at CT for half off last year. not the best unit but good for the $$.

BestBuy in Buffalo NY wants 499 US for a 76CSX, while GPS Central in Calgary (online ordering) is 419 CAD, no PST. Why shop south?

The 60 CSX is the same price at GPS Central - $419, but there is a $50 rebate from Garmin. You can't beat that deal with a stick.

Edited by douG

under what conditions does it lose signal.....I still have my old GPSMAP76 and don't have any problems like that

maybe there is something wrong with it

Under any conditions...

in a car... in a boat...

i'm really dissappointed in the unit...

I have never had that problem

you may want to get it back to bass pro for a new one

or to garmin for repair

I got mine the first year they came out and last year upgraded to the colour map76cs based on how happy I was with the map76