Big Jake musky tournament

jediangler

Well it's that time of year again. Our 11th annual "Hunt for Big Jake" musky weekend with the Cherry Hill Gang at Camp Ashtabula on Pigeon lake. Brother Joonmoon was a no show this year thanks to a continental work week at his new job. We missed you Bro.

The Impaler and I had one rental boat while the Shipper and his brother, the Dalai Lama, teamed up in another rental. First quarter the wind was 30km/h with 40km/h gusts that forced us to seek refuge behind some islands for cover. I caught the first musky on my 10th cast with a orange blade & black buck Slopmaster. It was only 23" long, so no photo, but I was happy to see some action early on. As the morning progressed the winds picked up to 40km/h with gusts at 50km/h. When we went in for lunch it was a real battle to keep the little 14 footers with 9.9hp on track. Here's the brothers trying to make some headway into the wind.

1127107bj3.jpg

With the winds too strong for our rentals, the second quarter was to be a shore fishing adventure. We fished Pigeon river from the bridge by Emily Provincial park, Sturgeon lake from the launch at Scotch Line, Buckhorn from just above the locks and even tried Sandy lake from the public beach. I caught 2 perch in Sturgeon and a smallmouth in Buckhorn and put 130km on the cars during our travels.

Sunday morning was beautiful. The winds were down to 10km/h and the sun was shining. For the 3rd quarter we headed north to fish behind Big Island where we have had some success in the past. While trolling up, the Shipper gets this 36"er on a Polish Perch and takes the lead in the tourney.

11271markski36.jpg

The Impaler and I saw no action while casting any of our offerings so we settled in for a long troll back to the cottages. The brothers went to where I caught my little one and His Holiness caught his first ever musky on a gold blade/yellow buck Mepps Musky Killer. It was 24" and although his brother had to unhook it for him, we were all very impressed that he held it for this photo.

11271kenski24.jpg

After a hearty lunch we poured over the map to decide where to go for the 4th quarter. We decided on the north again and trolled and casted the side of the Big Island that faces Bobcaygeon. The brothers wandered all the way up to Nogies creek while the Impaler and I worked the shoals at the south of the island. Without seeing so much as a follow, we decided to go down to Gannon's narrows to fish close to the cottages before the sunset. Just as the sun went out of sight I had a hit on my gold blade/black buck Mepps Musky Killer. I knew it was large when I couldn't get it to come to the surface. The Impaler did an extremely professional cradle landing and after unhooking and measuring it, I held up my new PB 48" musky for a pic.

1127107bigjake.jpg

And of course the obligatory release shot.

1127107bj2.jpg

So I win the Trophy and braggin' rights for another year, as well as beating a personal best that has held up for 4 years. Another excellent weekend and time well spent with friends that have known each other for 36 years now. I'll leave you with this sunset pic taken by the Impaler on Sunday evening.

1127107bj1.jpg

Edited by jediangler

:thumbsup_anim: WTG Bro, I guess you can keep the trophy for this year but I will be replacing the Impaler next year and finally take home the prize (since ya stole it on me in the last 10 min a few years ago...lol.) guess ya stole it on the shipper this year didn't ya. Nice job the impaler does on the cradle maybe we should bring him along to land our bigguns though. Sure wish I could have been there this year, bummer... :( . Ya spent some time at one of my fav dams..in Buckhorn, no eyes eh? My goal this weekend is to get some good eyes and Goog into some decent skis on the Sturg, hopefully I have figured out a pattern for eyes since we finally hooked a few last trip there. Anyway glad ya nailed the PB not far from a 50" now eh! Then you can join the Lew Club...lol. B)