GM strike

FinS

I'll find out today when I get to work at 3pm. We heat treat engine blocks and various other components for GM suppliers. I guess if they are not supplying parts, I won't be heat treating them. Personally, I wouldn't mind a few weeks off so I can do some fishing. Just nothing as long as a month.

My workplace just laid off a little over 150 people today. This is apox. 30% of the work force. As we supply all of the big 3 plus Nissan I suspect this should be about the end of the lay offs. So far I'm still working but my job could change during the reorganization. I should know more tomorrow.

My best wishes to all who are out of work: Rick

Yeah I love unions....taxing at it's finest. In school they'll take your clothes, your lunch money, whatever. Once you start working for a living they'll take your livlihood and your self respect. Wonderful people......

Yeah I love unions....taxing at it's finest. In school they'll take your clothes, your lunch money, whatever. Once you start working for a living they'll take your livlihood and your self respect. Wonderful people......

Unions had their place... HAD is the key word here.. back when employers were abusing workers in the 1900's.... Unions exist now to exist! and to make the people in charge millions.... I know there are ALOT of union members on this site.. and I know alot of you are PRO- Union.. sorry guys but labour laws mean you no longer get lashed for under-performance.. one of the reasons Unions came into existence so long ago...

In our global market Unions need too adapt... if they want to survive (as well as the companies they serve) they too need to become global... Looking at the big picture... not their own bachelor apartment

As of now... and Roy said it well... consider it another form of taxation..

Gerritt.

yeah your right gerritt they had there place back in the old days.

7 or 8 years ago jaccuzzi canada told there employees that if they striked they would put them out of business. The union told the employees they were full of it. Needless to say but jaccuzzi canada no longer exists. they folded there canadian division.

I feel for anyone laid off. i feel for even more for those who are on strike when what they really need is work!

Cheers!

Sorry to say Gerrit that as a fairly new retired GM employ that GM is still using the lash and says to hell with the labour laws.The favorite tactic is to fire you and make you fight it for up to 5 years to get your job back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vance

Figure I ll put this in before it gets locked up..

But funny how the unions are all striking the auto sector is in big trouble but Sid Ryan chooses this time to run for office....no offence but the man should focus on what is important the ppl that pay his wage..he knew all this was coming down the pipes but choose to turn his back on those that need him the hard working factory guys shows ya what kind of charector he really is...Hope he isnt elected and in fact gets run out of the unions to boot

Sorry Roy you are WRONG to many power tripping IDIOTS work for larger companies and will do ANYTHING to make themselves look good and if they can eliminate a high senority employee they get paid a BONUS.

vance

I hope that is a blanket statement, or mabe can be proved.

Something has changed ! When I was working[and HAD to be in the Union] the top seniority guy's believed they couldnt be fired. They were the first to run to the Union

Doesn't matter where you work 95% of the people come to work do their jobs and go home,everybody at sometime has problems that INTERFEAR with work-most of the time these are REAL problems many are life threatening or life changing.When ever you work for a company that only knows you as a number not as a person you need a union because the company only cares about itself not you!!! Yes Nanook most of union calls at work are for the same people for all the usual same reasons that screw the rest of the workers out of real representation,but by mandate the union has to act for the donkeys to save their jobs.Fortunately most unions are LIMITING what they will do for the troublesome few.

vance

I got laid off from work 2 years ago, best thing that happened to me! I got laid off in June, spent the summer home with my daughter, fished alot, and was at the hospital all day everyday when my son was born. I collected EI and then they payed for me to go back to school, which i would never have been able to afford otherwise! Now i'm a licensed gas fitter and have work coming to me! Lucked out I guess, and I offer you guys all the best!

As a member of a caw local I am not directly effected by the strike but can only see this as a bad thing for all parties envolved. Big companys ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will try to take advantage of people, I work for a worldwide corporation that wise fined huge amounts for paying equally qualified individuals less than others because of race. This same company is being accused of kidnapping torturing and killing union leaders and organizers in Colombia and South america. Unions i agree do protect the lazy and useless but what are our other options?!?!??

When one makes 20 million Ten thousand people lose!

Hopefully this is settled quickly or alot of people will be out of work. They cant move the whole automotive sector to mexico, or can they?

Here we go again crying about unfair trade advantage. Thats what the Union leader Buz whatever his name is is crying. UNfaire trade advantage. As it is now its unfaire that the Japs have to compete on the same level as the big three. Without the import tax we.d be buying good Jap products at half the cost. I said it in the 70s, and Ill say it again. Who is going to buy crap cars, so why make them and pay the high cost of labour. Still you have to feel sorry for the family man out of work. Unions suck these days